Neil's lyrical influences - other songwriters?

Timbale

Neil talked a lot in interviews over the years about drumming influences - and bands he loved - but when it came to discussing lyrics, he always seemed to talk about authors, not songwriters.  Did he ever discuss lyricists he liked?  He talked a lot about loving The Who, for instance...but I've never read anything where he discussed Townshend as a lyricist.  

Do you think he had songwriting influences?

4 hours ago, chemistry1973 said:

I think he was majorly influenced by Sting and Peter Gabriel.

Many similar themes expressed among the three of them.

Pete Hammill too.

I can see strong connections between Peart and Sting and Peter Gabriel (I don't know Pete Hammill's stuff) - I just have never, ever heard him discuss it, which strikes me as odd.  He loved both of their bands (Police and Genesis) so much, such formative influences...and yet never a mention of the lyrics (that I've read)...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, yyz2112 said:

I think his influences were literary authors rather than song writers.  He mentioned F Scot Fitzgerald and Hemingway in interviews when changing from his fantasy based style in the 70's.  

:yes:. Largely.  Sometimes to a fault, imo, where his lyrics are too much like prose

• Like 2

On 9/6/2023 at 1:59 PM, Lurkst said:

Neil cited Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull as a major influence on his lyric writing.

Pete Townshend too obviously. He was also an admirer of Bob Dylan's words.

That's cool to know - I don't really know Jethro Tull's music that well, so I wouldn't know what to look for in terms of influence.  With him being such a Who fan, I always assumed that he was a fan of Townshend's lyric writing....I've just never heard him mention it.  And besides that one Dylan quote (not a lyric, just some comment about inspiration) I've never heard him talk about Dylan's writing, either.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:42 AM, goose said:

:yes:. Largely.  Sometimes to a fault, imo, where his lyrics are too much like prose

I tend to agree.  Whilst  clever and interesting in their own right the lyrics didn't really suit hard/ prog-rock for my tastes, but I guess it's another element to what makes it 'Rush'. 

• Like 1