New album "Middle Ages"

stoopid

It's been 6 years since I've released any new albums.  After a break we resumed work in 2020 when stuck home like so many others.  The music on "Middle Ages" (and the prior album "Missing Pieces") is clearly different from my prior projects, with my collaborator and long time friend Scott Watts getting even more involved in the musical composition, so we opted for a band name change (Ummm) for this release as well.  As with most independent music, this was done in our free time.  Some songs took many months and iterations from concept to completion.  Similar to prior efforts, there's many rock genres/styles represented here.  There's a song for every rock listener's tastes.

Long list of places to listen.  If you want to read along with the music, check out the Youtube lyrics videos.  Today happens to be Bandcamp Friday, so if you're feeling generous it's the best day to buy our album there as revenue sharing is waived and more of the purchase goes to the artist.  Like/follow us on Facebook too, some bonus material is likely to get trickled out in the coming months.  Every click, like, follow, and comment helps the algorithm.  Don't be shy!!

Website: http://www.ummmband.com [this currently forwards to Bandcamp]
Bandcamp: https://ummmband.bandcamp.com
Apple Music: https://music.apple.com/us/album/middle-ages/1702055534
Amazon Music: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CFCD1VZ6
Compact Disc: https://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00A3X2LE&pp=1

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Vectorman said:

Just listened to the album! Very nice job with the production.. Congratulations on the new release!

Thanks for checking it out Dave, as always high praise coming from you.  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Prime Mover and Shaker said:

This is really good stuff, as I said before, unexpected in its restraint and maturity.  Something to be proud of, indeed!

Tough balance making music that's accessible and yet engaging enough for the musicians making it.  On top of that, we wanted the lyrical content and music to be cohesive and support one another.  In the past song ideas were rarely a precise vision from beginning to end, but with Scott handling probably 2/3 of the "this song's direction is going to be this" aspects, it allowed each track to form its own (complete) identity.

As interested in prog as I am, it doesn't tend to serve the lyrical content / meaning behind the non instrumental music very well.  Keeping things rooted in 4/4 and fairly simple song structures is inherent in whether someone can follow along AND "get it".  Music intended for the masses needs to function on a base level, we usually only get one listen and sometimes not even a complete song to grab a potential fan.

On that note -- from an objective growing the brand standpoint, this album was a failure.  We had more Youtube views but only a handful of complete song listens (based on the youtube analytics).  I ran an ad campaign to funnel potential listeners to Spotify, and same there.  It's tough to compete with establish artists and 60+ years of rock music at our finger tips.  Not to be overly dramatic, but this was the last hurrah.  We set out to make an album (really, the last two albums) that represented our vision for the music and brought what we could offer to the music community at the highest level we could reasonably offer.  It's largely fallen on deaf ears.  There's just too much out there, oversaturated streaming services competing for the same percentage of vaguely interested (and let's face it, aging) ears.  We did it for ourselves, and in my heart knew this might have been it, so we did it at a high level as a farewell.

Edited by stoopid

I really liked this album (how on Earth did I miss it?) and can echo Jers sentiment about the maturity and restraint...production as always is excellent and there is a hint of new wave about it.

Really nice job from start to finish...will be a shame if this is the last effort from you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fridge said:

I really liked this album (how on Earth did I miss it?) and can echo Jers sentiment about the maturity and restraint...production as always is excellent and there is a hint of new wave about it.

There's definitely some nods to new wave in here (the first song, Endless Days, is a mashup of styles... The Cars meets Rush meets Springsteen).  The recent surround releases and new album from Tears For Fears has rekindled my interest in them as well.

On 11/17/2023 at 10:20 AM, stoopid said:

Tough balance making music that's accessible and yet engaging enough for the musicians making it.  On top of that, we wanted the lyrical content and music to be cohesive and support one another.  In the past song ideas were rarely a precise vision from beginning to end, but with Scott handling probably 2/3 of the "this song's direction is going to be this" aspects, it allowed each track to form its own (complete) identity.

As interested in prog as I am, it doesn't tend to serve the lyrical content / meaning behind the non instrumental music very well.  Keeping things rooted in 4/4 and fairly simple song structures is inherent in whether someone can follow along AND "get it".  Music intended for the masses needs to function on a base level, we usually only get one listen and sometimes not even a complete song to grab a potential fan.

On that note -- from an objective growing the brand standpoint, this album was a failure.  We had more Youtube views but only a handful of complete song listens (based on the youtube analytics).  I ran an ad campaign to funnel potential listeners to Spotify, and same there.  It's tough to compete with establish artists and 60+ years of rock music at our finger tips.  Not to be overly dramatic, but this was the last hurrah.  We set out to make an album (really, the last two albums) that represented our vision for the music and brought what we could offer to the music community at the highest level we could reasonably offer.  It's largely fallen on deaf ears.  There's just too much out there, oversaturated streaming services competing for the same percentage of vaguely interested (and let's face it, aging) ears.  We did it for ourselves, and in my heart knew this might have been it, so we did it at a high level as a farewell.

I hope doing it for yourself (and your goofy friends who appreciate it) can be enough.  That was the key for me - I never do anything with an expectation that anyone I don't know will listen, and owning that realization made all the difference for me.  I love writing and recording, even though I know sometimes I will be the only audience, or a member of a very small audience, who will hear it.  It still brings me a shit ton of joy.  And that's a lot!  :P

• Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 9:20 AM, stoopid said:

We had more Youtube views but only a handful of complete song listens (based on the youtube analytics).

I'm one of the guilty ones. :sad:

My attention span is miserably low these days, so my consumption of new music is limited to the equivalent of "dropping the needle in different places" in each song. I tried composing some new material a few weeks ago and found even my own stuff isn't holding my attention.

My theory is that I'm suffering from pre separation anxiety. This is the last year we have Emma at home with us and it's really hitting me hard. I'm very sorry if that has spilled into my relationships with you guys.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 9:56 PM, stoopid said:

It's been 6 years since I've released any new albums.  After a break we resumed work in 2020 when stuck home like so many others.  The music on "Middle Ages" (and the prior album "Missing Pieces") is clearly different from my prior projects, with my collaborator and long time friend Scott Watts getting even more involved in the musical composition, so we opted for a band name change (Ummm) for this release as well.  As with most independent music, this was done in our free time.  Some songs took many months and iterations from concept to completion.  Similar to prior efforts, there's many rock genres/styles represented here.  There's a song for every rock listener's tastes.

Long list of places to listen.  If you want to read along with the music, check out the Youtube lyrics videos.  Today happens to be Bandcamp Friday, so if you're feeling generous it's the best day to buy our album there as revenue sharing is waived and more of the purchase goes to the artist.  Like/follow us on Facebook too, some bonus material is likely to get trickled out in the coming months.  Every click, like, follow, and comment helps the algorithm.  Don't be shy!!

Website: http://www.ummmband.com [this currently forwards to Bandcamp]
Bandcamp: https://ummmband.bandcamp.com
Apple Music: https://music.apple.com/us/album/middle-ages/1702055534
Amazon Music: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CFCD1VZ6
Compact Disc: https://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00A3X2LE&pp=1

Nice work on this.  What were you other albums?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoahLutz said:

Nice work on this.  What were you other albums?

Although I have a bunch of older songs I'm still proud of, the 'best' prior material was on Missing Pieces which was finished in 2017.  Youtube might be the easiest way to check it out, but it's also on Bandcamp and all the other usual spots.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCsgMT86qkQ&list=PLAFtv3h5xd8hhi2Yn14lFUFux87qjSsrI

16 hours ago, Prime Mover and Shaker said:

I hope doing it for yourself (and your goofy friends who appreciate it) can be enough.  That was the key for me - I never do anything with an expectation that anyone I don't know will listen, and owning that realization made all the difference for me.  I love writing and recording, even though I know sometimes I will be the only audience, or a member of a very small audience, who will hear it.  It still brings me a shit ton of joy.  And that's a lot!  :P

Our intended audience was even smaller than that, really just focusing on the material between myself and Scott.  Brian O'Connell (which some of you might know) was getting fed mixes of the songs as they neared completion, and a few times he was (very) valuable in hearing something we didn't or missed, but generally what ended up on the album was 95+% just mine and Scott's vision.  Sometimes just knowing a song is working well for someone else is just as value, so Brian's input in that respect can't be overstated either.

It's been fine releasing music over the years with only a nominal impact outside of friends and family.  My main underlying issue has been with the time expense, and with Scott he's super busy at his job and finding the time for us to work on things becomes its own chore.  At some point, and this started after Missing Pieces in 2017, the cost/benefit didn't make a lot of sense even when calculating it as "for me" or "for us". 

If not for the pandemic, this album may never have come into existence.  I had largely retreated into helping you guys with your music and then eventually the new move to Vegas.  Covid suddenly created a lot of time in my day and Scott ended up also feeling like he needed the escape music provided him, so we reconnected on new material.  There's actually more music than what ended up on the album (as well as some extra stuff from the Missing Pieces sessions), so a "B Sides" EP is in the works someday.

Ultimately I almost stepped away in 2017 and decided to give this one more go, mostly because I wanted to take a couple of lessons learned from making Missing Pieces and apply them, as well as getting Scott more involved in the songwriting.  There's few people I would have rather worked with off and on for 30 something years.  Sometimes a synergy is found with another artist, and I've worked with few people in my lifetime where that ease of ideas and lack of ego (always doing what was best for the song/concept) who were anywhere near as easy to work on ideas with as Scott.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JARG said:

My attention span is miserably low these days, so my consumption of new music is limited to the equivalent of "dropping the needle in different places" in each song. I tried composing some new material a few weeks ago and found even my own stuff isn't holding my attention.

My theory is that I'm suffering from pre separation anxiety. This is the last year we have Emma at home with us and it's really hitting me hard. I'm very sorry if that has spilled into my relationships with you guys.

You should never feel bad about ... feeling and struggling with things.  Especially when it comes to hobby stuff.  Family should take priority.  None of us are obligated to the other (unless we commit, then not following through is suboptimal).  When and if you'll be ready there will be plenty of people there looking forward to your return and contributions.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stoopid said:

Our intended audience was even smaller than that, really just focusing on the material between myself and Scott.  Brian O'Connell (which some of you might know) was getting fed mixes of the songs as they neared completion, and a few times he was (very) valuable in hearing something we didn't or missed, but generally what ended up on the album was 95+% just mine and Scott's vision.  Sometimes just knowing a song is working well for someone else is just as value, so Brian's input in that respect can't be overstated either.

It's been fine releasing music over the years with only a nominal impact outside of friends and family.  My main underlying issue has been with the time expense, and with Scott he's super busy at his job and finding the time for us to work on things becomes its own chore.  At some point, and this started after Missing Pieces in 2017, the cost/benefit didn't make a lot of sense even when calculating it as "for me" or "for us". 

If not for the pandemic, this album may never have come into existence.  I had largely retreated into helping you guys with your music and then eventually the new move to Vegas.  Covid suddenly created a lot of time in my day and Scott ended up also feeling like he needed the escape music provided him, so we reconnected on new material.  There's actually more music than what ended up on the album (as well as some extra stuff from the Missing Pieces sessions), so a "B Sides" EP is in the works someday.

Ultimately I almost stepped away in 2017 and decided to give this one more go, mostly because I wanted to take a couple of lessons learned from making Missing Pieces and apply them, as well as getting Scott more involved in the songwriting.  There's few people I would have rather worked with off and on for 30 something years.  Sometimes a synergy is found with another artist, and I've worked with few people in my lifetime where that ease of ideas and lack of ego (always doing what was best for the song/concept) who were anywhere near as easy to work on ideas with as Scott.

So what does the future hold for you, musically?

1 hour ago, JARG said:

So what does the future hold for you, musically?

No plans.  I was semi-motivated back in August but finding (and sustaining) that motivation and coming up with anything meaningful to start working on since led me to a more introspective place, realizing I've accomplished most anything I felt the need to do musically.

I may reinstall Cakewalk on the new computer and just have that kicking around to help people with mixes, little things here and there.  As a player/songwriter, I'm formally retired.  My electric guitar sold last week, sound card sold the week before, and still waiting on a buyer for the small electronic drum pad I had.

Edited by stoopid

3 minutes ago, stoopid said:

No plans.  I was semi-motivated back in August but finding (and sustaining) that motivation and coming up with anything meaningful to start working on since led me to a more introspective place, realizing I've accomplished most anything I felt the need to do musically.

I may reinstall Cakewalk on the new computer and just have that kicking around to help people with mixes, little things here and there.  As a player/songwriter, I'm formally retired.  My electric guitar sold last week, sound card sold the week before, and still waiting on a buyer for the small electronic drum pad I had.

While it's disappointing to me that you're done, I do envy you the feeling that you've accomplished what you set out to do.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JARG said:

While it's disappointing to me that you're done, I do envy you the feeling that you've accomplished what you set out to do.

Well, achieving an end goal and that goal being anywhere near worthy of being a goal in the first place are two different things.  lol

Since we're having this discussion of doom and gloom, I figure I'd throw some more prozac on the fire.

I'm not impressionable, I'm stating this because the content of this video aligns with my beliefs on the topic and was watched during my recent decision making process.  It did not have much (any?) bearing on that decision.  Regardless, it's excellent insight into what we do, why we do it, and whether we even should.  It doesn't draw the conclusion that maybe you suspect it would.  100% worthy of the 15 minutes.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2023 at 9:01 AM, JARG said:

It's not easy, and I don't blame you for wanting to spend as much time as you can with her!

If I may, and maybe you're doing this already, but make sure you're spending quality time with your wife as well.  This change will affect your marriage, there's no way around that, but you can help control if that's a negative or positive change.

We'll be here when you are ready!

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 4:01 PM, stoopid said:

Since we're having this discussion of doom and gloom, I figure I'd throw some more prozac on the fire.

I'm not impressionable, I'm stating this because the content of this video aligns with my beliefs on the topic and was watched during my recent decision making process.  It did not have much (any?) bearing on that decision.  Regardless, it's excellent insight into what we do, why we do it, and whether we even should.  It doesn't draw the conclusion that maybe you suspect it would.  100% worthy of the 15 minutes.

Thanks for sharing that - I found it pretty damn insightful.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Prime Mover and Shaker said:

You’re going to hang around until you figure out how to duplicate my bass tone.  I know you’re jealous of all that phase & flange!  😝

That's a bass effect/tone?  I thought I had an inner ear infection.

• Haha 2