The Official 2023-24 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

On 1/26/2024 at 7:37 PM, blackhawkrush said:

Wisla's first training match in Turkey, 0-0 :zzz: Lots of work ahead.  

This follows two wins against teams from Kazakhstan and Denmark.   :drink:

And we end our visit to Turkey with a 2-2 draw against the Bulgarians, but that late penalty in favor of our opponents was very controversial.  :moon: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

That second Arsenal goal reminded me of Mrazek. Is this a valid result with Liverpool playing in those colors?  

It's true that playing in those colors probably cost LFC, somehow, as the kit was atrocious. As it turns out, though, not quite as atrocious as their defense and attack. Ugly all around.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

It's true that playing in those colors probably cost LFC, somehow, as the kit was atrocious. As it turns out, though, not quite as atrocious as their defense and attack. Ugly all around.

Big Brentford fan today, right? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

Nations League draw: Croatia, Portugal, Poland, Scotland. Not horrible, not great. 

Hmm. That's what Comrade Dyatlov said, right before it went all pear-shaped.

Not Great Not Terrible GIF - Not Great Not Terrible ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Hmm. That's what Comrade Dyatlov said, right before it went all pear-shaped.

Not Great Not Terrible GIF - Not Great Not Terrible ...

My wife watches cooking shows. I must've overheard it. 

• Haha 1

It's a pleasure watching these old games from the 70's again, not only because Poland was one of the big dogs back then. No time-wasting, one word to the referee...bam, yellow. :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

It's a pleasure watching these old games from the 70's again, not only because Poland was one of the big dogs back then. No time-wasting, one word to the referee...bam, yellow. :thumbsup:

Got a big stack of them on VHS, do you?  One of the things that always strikes me about old matches in the usually shocking state of the pitch. Bare, worn, half-dirt -- the bounces on those surfaces must have been an adventure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Got a big stack of them on VHS, do you?  One of the things that always strikes me about old matches in the usually shocking state of the pitch. Bare, worn, half-dirt -- the bounces on those surfaces must have been an adventure.

There's plenty of these games on youtube. Yeah, cold weather always has been the enemy of a fine pitch. But just two days ago Legia was complaining about having to play on artificial surface in Norway. I guess they would've preferred a potato field. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

They resumed it a bit too early.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, taking all three points would have been even better, but I can't afford to be too greedy in these things!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackhawkrush said:

Croydon FC with the fastest goal ever? (2.31 seconds)  :ohmy:  

Blimey! I'll have to track that down; gotta be something from the kickoff?

***Having now watched it, I'd swear I thought the kick-off had to go to another player, and not just hoofed forward. Guess I'm wrong about that!***

Edited by Nova Carmina
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Blimey! I'll have to track that down; gotta be something from the kickoff?

***Having now watched it, I'd swear I thought the kick-off had to go to another player, and not just hoofed forward. Guess I'm wrong about that!***

In junior leagues they've done it even quicker. Doesn't seem possible. Maybe the fields are shorter. 

• Like 1