RUSH: 55 Years of Rock's Most Powerful Trio (Now Online)

Jag2112

Earlier this year, a 100+ page magazine covering the history of Rush was released. Loaded with dozens of photos and eight different articles, the magazine did an admirable job of creating a tribute to the history of Rush. A full transcription of the magazine, along with all the photos, is now online.

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/rush-55-years.php

Enjoy-

• Like 5

"...undanceable odd-time signatures that obscured the beat..."

I would disagree with that wholeheartedly.  In fact, I'd say it's the other way around: Rush's greatest accomplishment as musicians was in writing songs where the beat was ever-present and it's the odd time signatures that were obscured.  They had a gift for making time changes seamless and fluid, in contrast to bands like Yes or Dream Theater where the time signatures slap you across the face.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

I would disagree with that wholeheartedly.  In fact, I'd say it's the other way around: Rush's greatest accomplishment as musicians was in writing songs where the beat was ever-present and it's the odd time signatures that were obscured.  They had a gift for making time changes seamless and fluid, in contrast to bands like Yes or Dream Theater where the time signatures slap you across the face.

I agree that the beat is never obscured, but have you ever actually danced to a Rush song?   I sure haven’t!   :biggrin:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

Ummmm, listen to La Villa Strangiato one more time. Those time sig changes are ostentatious and often too much for many ears. 

But I'd agree that they started making the changes more seamless with MP. Limelight is a perfect example.