Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

Taylor Swift-Tortured Poets Department (10/10)

the score is for the proper album.  the most negative thing i'll see is i generally don't like the bonus tracks much at all.  this is the closet she came to a throw away disc for me.

the proper album........my be my fav album she's done.  While i don't think it's her best.  it IS my fav.  ,mature.  classy. layered.  it's all a home run for me.

The negative reviews i've seen say this album's too same-y.  yet i don't think she was aim-ing for bop-y commercial. these people don't seem to be looking for an album i think.  they want bops they can pick and choose from.  if that's all you want look elsewhere.

True S tier album for me.

Mick

It's comical though seeing the initial hatred burning out in many quarters.

The love for TTPD is strong, the hate it's getting seems to be a result of Swift fatigue more than the actual music.

Inevitable. I get it. 

Album still rocks.

• Like 1

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Willow is amazing. Been saying that for years. 

Descendents...BITCH THAT ALBUM IS THE SHIZNIT.

It's 42 years old and still speaks to teens today.

I hadn’t checked out a full album of hers, but a few songs here and there had piqued my interest for a few years, most especially Meet Me At Our Spot with her band The Anxiety. Still love that one to death.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I hadn’t checked out a full album of hers, but a few songs here and there had piqued my interest for a few years, most especially Meet Me At Our Spot with her band The Anxiety. Still love that one to death.

I think you’ll dig this. I saw Action/Adventure live last year, and I’ve been following Alex Melton on YouTube for a few years.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

I think you’ll dig this. I saw Action/Adventure live last year, and I’ve been following Alex Melton on YouTube for a few years.

Ah yeah that was fun! Love all the intricate little guitar and drums fills, and glad they had multiple people singing it too. Such a celebratory rendition!

• Like 1

Kamasi Washington - Heaven And Earth

This took all night, lol. Incredible album.

Pearl Jam- Binaural 

Pearl Jam- Riot Act

Pearl Jam- Pearl Jam

Pearl Jam- Backspacer 

Pearl Jam- Lightning Bolt 

Pearl Jam- Gigaton 

Pearl Jam- Dark Matter

Oops I did a PJ 21st Century marathon, and I liked it. Hope my boyfriend don't mind it.

(He did)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Pearl Jam- Binaural 

Pearl Jam- Riot Act

Pearl Jam- Pearl Jam

Pearl Jam- Backspacer 

Pearl Jam- Lightning Bolt 

Pearl Jam- Gigaton 

Pearl Jam- Dark Matter

Oops I did a PJ 21st Century marathon, and I liked it. Hope my boyfriend don't mind it.

(He did)

• Like 1

Sunday - Tuesday:

Kesha - Animal (Deluxe)

Kesha - Cannibal (EP) (Deluxe)

Kesha - Warrior (Deluxe)

Kesha - Rainbow

Kesha - High Road

Kesha - Gag Order

Bad Religion - Recipe For Hate

All on vinyl.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism

This is an emotional journey. The songs tell the story of someone so entrenched in their own pain and insecurity that they won’t give real connection a real chance, and they wind up hurting other people, but then that desire for realness breaks in and they accept love over control. By the end they find their pain is gone as they realize they only feel happy for people they’ve left behind moving on. Are any of the songs as individually strong as the singles on Future Nostalgia? Probably not, but imo that album also had some kinda frivolous filler, I don’t think this one does. Plus, amazingly, the instrumentals are just as strong, if not stronger. The last record had vibe, this one has atmosphere. I’m reminded of the production of my favorite Muse album in its best moments, The Resistance. A sonic landscape worth revisiting on its own merits, regardless of the songs, which are still good, even great at times.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Dua Lipa - Training Season

This is an emotional journey. The songs tell the story of someone so entrenched in their own pain and insecurity that they won’t give real connection a real chance, and they wind up hurting other people, but then that desire for realness breaks in and they accept love over control. By the end they find their pain is gone as they realize they only feel happy for people they’ve left behind moving on. Are any of the songs as individually strong as the singles on Future Nostalgia? Probably not, but imo that album also had some kinda frivolous filler, I don’t think this one does. Plus, amazingly, the instrumentals are just as strong, if not stronger. The last record had vibe, this one has atmosphere. I’m reminded of the production of my favorite Muse album in its best moments, The Resistance. A sonic landscape worth revisiting on its own merits, regardless of the songs, which are still good, even great at times.

Dua Lipa fascinates me. Her music is in so many ways as vacuous and silly as much of the pop genre is. But...but...THEY ARE AURALLY FASCINATING 

Her albums are sonically so interesting you can't help but come back to them again and again.

Her latest album isn't the most fantastic set of songs I've ever heard, but again, the production keeps me enthused and I happily play the whole thing over and over.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Dua Lipa fascinates me. Her music is in so many ways as vacuous and silly as much of the pop genre is. But...but...THEY ARE AURALLY FASCINATING 

Her albums are sonically so interesting you can't help but come back to them again and again.

Her latest album isn't the most fantastic set of songs I've ever heard, but again, the production keeps me enthused and I happily play the whole thing over and over.

I think she found a lane in pop that wasn’t being explored much and made it her own. She must really care deeply about the music, because little else that gets on the radio would put in the effort it takes to sound that good.

• Like 1

Epica- The Phantom Agony

I think as I mature, I find Epica's take on epic symphonic metal more challenging, more exciting than that of Nightwish. This debut picks up where Mark Jansen left off with After Forever, and it's a wonderful album. 

I love Nightwish, but seeing Epica's star continue to rise is astonishing to me. I'm not sure they've even peaked yet.

• Like 1

Nightwish- Human Nature

This entire album feels like a pre-chorus to a massive hook. I enjoy all the textures, the ideas are solid, and some songs, like Pan or Endlessness, I actually consider close to greatness. 

But damn, all this effort to ultimately leave me feeling like it's going nowhere...

But it does make good music for reading. Also, the second disc I really enjoy. As someone who listens to movie soundtracks a lot, it really enhances my reading hours. 

Not the greatest praise. "This album makes great background noise" is, well, quite a miserable feeling.

Now Marko Hietela is out (my favourite member of the band ever after Tuomas), I'm afraid I'm not sure where I'm headed as a fan. 

In 2024, I'm not sure I care to follow Nightwish or Lacuna Coil into the future. Who would have thought?

13 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Taylor Swift-Tortured Poets Department (10/10)

Instant Classic in my book.

Mick

I still have yet to hear a hater of this album talk about the actual content. Lmao

And numbers don't lie: it's drawing a lot of listeners every single day on streaming and physical sales. So, yeah...she's creepily still showing signs she has yet to peak.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

I still have yet to hear a hater of this album talk about the actual content. Lmao

And numbers don't lie: it's drawing a lot of listeners every single day on streaming and physical sales. So, yeah...she's creepily still showing signs she has yet to peak.

the ONLY 2  things the folks who don't like this album seem to have

`1.  "EW it all sounds the same (which is actually a lie straight out)

2.  she's overexposed (may be true but.......weaksause point to make)

I think time is already proving the haters a fading group.

Mick

• Like 1

King Crimson - Discipline

Oh too long since I spun this.

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

the ONLY 2  things the folks who don't like this album seem to have

`1.  "EW it all sounds the same (which is actually a lie straight out)

2.  she's overexposed (may be true but.......weaksause point to make)

I think time is already proving the haters a fading group.

Mick

It's not my fave of her albums. But it's still magnificent 

• Like 1