Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

State Of Grace reminds me less of Jimmy and more of Joshua Tree era-U2, Killers and Kings Of Leon.

But now you mention it, I could imagine it on Futures or Invented!

Yeah KoL was my first thought with that one, which is a really cool sound for her to take on and one that has come to mean a world to me.

• Like 2

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Flames- Come Clarity 

Hawthorne Heights- If Only You Were Lonely

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Paradise Lost- In Requiem

My favourite UK metal band for years, until I rediscovered Maiden and Priest...gosh this album is gold

5 minutes ago, treeduck said:

michael-romeo-war-of-the-worlds-pt-1-61d

Is this good? I swear I've seen you post it before

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Is this good? I swear I've seen you post it before

Yeah it's excellent prog metal, kind of like Symphony X but with a different singer. I've also got part two which I listened to the other day, that's got another different singer. That one also has an extra disc featuring the whole album without vocals, just in case you don't like the new singer!

10 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Yeah it's excellent prog metal, kind of like Symphony X but with a different singer. I've also got part two which I listened to the other day, that's got another different singer. That one also has an extra disc featuring the whole album without vocals, just in case you don't like the new singer!

Oh I love Symphony X. I am halfway to completing my studio album collection of theirs!

Okay, I will check this out

Edited by Segue Myles

25 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Oh I love Symphony X. I am halfway to completing my studio album collection of theirs!

Okay, I will check this out

Yeah you should know the guitarist from Symphony X then, that's who Michael Romeo is! These albums are his solo ventures.

2 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Yeah you should know the guitarist from Symphony X then, that's who Michael Romeo is! These albums are his solo ventures.

I rarely know all the names of band members. That tends to be reserved for when I'm truly obsessed. But good to know!

I'm in a weird place with metal, I love it but I'm hardly listening to anything *new to me*

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I rarely know all the names of band members. That tends to be reserved for when I'm truly obsessed. But good to know!

I'm in a weird place with metal, I love it but I'm hardly listening to anything *new to me*

Ever tried Pygmy Hippos on Grass?

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

Ever tried Pygmy Hippos on Grass?

Wat

• Haha 1

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

Trivium-What the Dead men Say (10/10)

Mick

Gosh it's so weird remembering when this album came out, during lockdown. Eesh, surreal

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

this is my fav Taylor album.  but i can see how the variety of it could make it less so for others.

it is truly all over the place in style.  but you have to understand this album was her starting to dip her toes in the pop arena and this was the start of her journey to superstar status. but that's why you get the  Country all too well.  mixed with Cute-sy pop like Stay Stay Stay and the jimmy eat world Tinged State of Grace.  It's her flexing a bit more.

Mick

Thing is I’m generally an easy sell for style hopping (cough Muse cough Queen), so I don’t think that’s really a big issue for me. It’s more just that the pop bangers are stylistically tied to a time in pop that I remember vehemently disliking when it was there, so it’s a cautious sort of process to start to like some of that stuff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Begin Again and All Too Well are my favourites. I recently listened again to the ten minute version of ATW and it knocked me off my feet.

Begin Again is exquisite and the music video is my absolute favourite of hers.

Starlight and Stay, Stay, Stay are filler, but I oddly enjoy them. 

I have yet to get to the infamous 10 minute version but I know I will. I’m glad we landed on some of the same favorites! And yeah, I do enjoy Starlight and Stay Stay Stay, just not as much as most everything else here right now.

7 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Thing is I’m generally an easy sell for style hopping (cough Muse cough Queen), so I don’t think that’s really a big issue for me. It’s more just that the pop bangers are stylistically tied to a time in pop that I remember vehemently disliking when it was there, so it’s a cautious sort of process to start to like some of that stuff.

i can see that.  i don't like ALL of her cute-sy pop numbers.  some of them just don't land for me.

they come across as ain't i just precious?  you who did that too? Paul Simon.  and i disliike it when he does it as well, lol

Mick

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I have yet to get to the infamous 10 minute version but I know I will. I’m glad we landed on some of the same favorites! And yeah, I do enjoy Starlight and Stay Stay Stay, just not as much as most everything else here right now.

My recommendation is...watch the lyric video on YouTube. Read the words and hear the story she tells.

Which is basically how she was charmed by Jake Ghylennhall and swooned by him, and her dad even came round to him, and then he ghosted her when all felt it was getting serious. Straight after John Mayer did the exact same thing. 

She was a teen, they were both in their thirties.

And people wonder why she has emotional issues.

Also she wrote ATW off the cuff in the studio. Her fellow musicians backed away and let her pour it out. Her mum was in the recording booth and asked after Taylor finished if the sound guy had ma aged tk record it. Fortunately he had, and the song was saved a d grew from there.

She never wanted to cut the song down, that was the label.

When you hear the full song with understanding of the context, you realise her rare skill of being able to transform feelings into words.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

My recommendation is...watch the lyric video on YouTube. Read the words and hear the story she tells.

Which is basically how she was charmed by Jake Ghylennhall and swooned by him, and her dad even came round to him, and then he ghosted her when all felt it was getting serious. Straight after John Mayer did the exact same thing. 

She was a teen, they were both in their thirties.

And people wonder why she has emotional issues.

Also she wrote ATW off the cuff in the studio. Her fellow musicians backed away and let her pour it out. Her mum was in the recording booth and asked after Taylor finished if the sound guy had ma aged tk record it. Fortunately he had, and the song was saved a d grew from there.

She never wanted to cut the song down, that was the label.

When you hear the full song with understanding of the context, you realise her rare skill of being able to transform feelings into words.

Ugh, that’s cutting. I will watch the lyric video. I could use a good cry tbh.

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Ugh, that’s cutting. I will watch the lyric video. I could use a good cry tbh.

The official music video is also great, but I just think the lyrics video impacts differently. The full version is really complete. Paints an entire scene in your mind

• Like 1