Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

18 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I like the word quibble, I have it right up there with squabble and collywobbles.

Yeah I love those sort of words too 🤣

But yeah, love the new Priest song, sort of feel it sounds a touch over produced. But not in a way that turns me off.

• Like 2

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

But yeah, love the new Priest song, sort of feel it sounds a touch over produced. But not in a way that turns me off.

Yeah, Panic Attack was more of a Firepower/Painkiller with a sprinkling of Turbo kind of song. I can't actually remember Trial by Fire now, but that's good, I only listened to it a couple of times so as not to spoil the album before it even comes out.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Squash is another one.

Worked from home today due to the cold and my car being in the shop so that gave me a chance to pull out some records.  First out:

Journey - Captured

Live Journey from near their prime.  Should be awesome, esp since I have seen Journey about 6 times (with either Steve A. or Armel on lead vocals) and always really enjoyed them.  Right?  No.  For some reason this album is not thrilling to me.  Should be awesome but its just not.  Its not something I really care for.  Don't know why but thats just my reaction to it.  Next out of the moving box:

Night Ranger - Midnight Madness

This has the very good "You Can Still Rock in America".  Plus it has the awesome "When You Close Your Eyes" which is my favorite Night Ranger song.  It also has "Sister Christian" which was Night Rangers biggest hit but was a song that I did not like (at all) at the time and it has not grown on me.  I can't understand why it was such a big hit - not at the time and not know either.

I know most folks think this is Night Rangers best album but I actually prefer Dawn Patrol.  It has "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" which is every bit as good as "You Can Still Rock in America".  True, it does not have anything that match's up to "When You Close Your Eyes" but it also does not have a dud like "Sister Christian".  So thats basically a wash.  Where Dawn Patrol exceeds Midnight Madness is the deeper cuts.  The other songs, which did not get airplay, are better than the songs off Midnight Madness which did not get airplay.  Still, with the 2 very good songs on this album (and some ok songs that did not get airplay) its a good album.  Next out of the box:

Ozzy - No More Tears

Good album.  Good tour as well - saw Ozzy on this tour.  It was the 2nd and last time I saw him live.  Went out of my way to when he announced it would be the "no more tours tour" and was pissed when it was not.  The Who were honest when they said they would not be touring for a prolonged period.  It was the press and promotors who played it as a farewell tour.  So The Who don't bother me.  Ozzy did bother me. 

Anyway, like I said, good album.  3 excellent songs ("Mama, I'am Coming Home", "Time After Time" & "Road to Nowhere") plus a couple of good songs (the title track & "Mr. Tinkertrain").  The other songs I could kind of care less about.  Interesting, it came out in 1991 and at that time good music was still coming out but I had a feeling that it was not like the mid 1980's where killer albums were coming out basically every week.  Still, I enjoyed the music scene.  Little did I know that in about a year or 2 the rock scene would basically die.  Ever since then its been a little here and a little there.  Some years nothing comes out thats worth listening to.  In other words, this album was almost the end of a glorious era.  Next out of the box:

Styx - Equinox

This has the very good "Lorelei" and the excellent "Suite Made Blue" - which may be my favorite Styx song.  If not its right near the top with "Come Sail Away" and "Renegade".  The other songs on the album are nothing special for me however.  Last out of the box for the day:

John Cougar Mellencamp - uh-huh

Interesting that the liner notes mention that the album was written and recorded in 16 days in July of 1983.  Thats Rush like speed!!  Impressive.

The album has 3 good songs that got airplay ("Crumblin Down", "Pink Houses" & "Authority Song").  For me, "Pink Houses" is the best followed by "Authority Song" and then "Crumblin Down".  The rest off the album does nothing for me. 

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Lamb of God-Omens (10/10)

Mick

I bet your ears are bleeding and begging for Bruce Springsteen after that. "Please, please Blue bring back THE BOSS!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I bet your ears are bleeding and begging for Bruce Springsteen after that. "Please, please Blue bring back THE BOSS!"

contrayy to what i seem i actually Love metal and harder albums like that, lol:biggrin:

thing is i really wasn't born and bred on it like a lot of you were but i really love it either way

my background is actually broadway musicals:laugh: but i'm happy to be more educated now.

Mick

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

contrayy to what i seem i actually Love metal and harder albums like that, lol:biggrin:

thing is i really wasn't born and bred on it like a lot of you were but i really love it either way

my background is actually broadway musicals:laugh: but i'm happy to be more educated now.

Mick

So when did you first get into metal? And how old are you?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, treeduck said:

So when did you first get into metal? And how old are you?

i'm 38 about to be 39 next month.

Like  i said i was first attracted to broadway musicals and classic rock and singer/songwriter stuff.

My Mother really frowned and still frowns on metal.  thinks it's nothing but noise.  and you know being that young you are impressionable so i kinda took my mom's opinion UNTIL i found a little band called Dream theater in 1997.  They blew my 12 year old mind.  I couldbn't believe what i was hearing, lol I mean my brother had Metallica albums so i knew them but DT hooked me.

i became a fan and from there went back and discovered older Metal Bands like Priest and Maidan  and bands like that and also not just metal but harder sounding bands in general.  AC/DC Moterhead Rush.  I really expanded and then joining this forum gradually opened up more extreme styles pf metal. now i love the genre.

But alll in all i'd call Dream Theater my metal jump off.

Mick

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i'm 38 about to be 39 next month.

Like  i said i was first attracted to broadway musicals and classic rock and singer/songwriter stuff.

My Mother really frowned and still frowns on metal.  thinks it's nothing but noise.  and you know being that young you are impressionable so i kinda took my mom's opinion UNTIL i found a little band called Dream theater in 1997.  They blew my 12 year old mind.  I couldbn't believe what i was hearing, lol I mean my brother had Metallica albums so i knew them but DT hooked me.

i became a fan and from there went back and discovered older Metal Bands like Priest and Maidan  and bands like that and also not just metal but harder sounding bands in general.  AC/DC Moterhead Rush.  I really expanded and then joining this forum gradually opened up more extreme styles pf metal. now i love the genre.

But alll in all i'd call Dream Theater my metal jump off.

Mick

Ha ha I can imagine your mum frowning at a black metal album cover! :laugh: I think everyone's mum hates heavy metal! I remember my mum bursting into my bedroom a few times when I was a teenager, she used to say things like: "Patrick that is TERRIBLE, and it's driving me mad! I'm trying to wash my hair here!" :rofl2:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Ha ha I can imagine your mum frowning at a black metal album cover! :laugh: I think everyone's mum hates heavy metal! I remember my mum bursting into my bedroom a few times when I was a teenager, she used to say things like: "Patrick that is TERRIBLE, and it's driving me mad! I'm trying to wash my hair here!" :rofl2:

that reminds me......i was watching a dream Theater DVD.  my mom walks in.

"Who is that?

"Dream Theater Mom."

"oh..........are they almost done?

:rofl1:

Mick

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, treeduck said:

odd off topic tangent:

I've got these speakers just laying around with some Black Sabbath Deluxe Box Sets resting on top -

p1230237.jpg

https://www.hifi-classic.net/review/celestion-3-16.html

Do you have the Black Sabbath box set called The Black Box? It has remasters of all the albums with Ozzy. It's a very cool set.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Do you have the Black Sabbath box set called The Black Box? It has remasters of all the albums with Ozzy. It's a very cool set.

I've got the other Black Box, this one:

s-l1600.jpg

The other box sets I have are the Super Deluxe ones for Paranoid, Vol. 4, Sabotage, Technical Ecstasy and Heaven & Hell. These are the ones that are (temporarily) on top of one of the Celestion 3 speakers. They're solid cabinets!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Omens, Sacrament and Resolution.

i really like what i've heard.

Mick

Sacrament is my favorite. You should definitely check out As The Palaces Burn and Ashes Of The Wake. I wasn't a fan of full time growling vocals until I started listening to them. Randy Blythe taught me to appreciate that style. It's like he has a sense of melody with his growl.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Man I’d love to see them. I’d lose my voice for sure and it would be totally worth it, lol.

The last time I saw them, I brought my copy of AK4THR so I could get it signed. I was right up front. Tyler (their singer), was talking about seeing lots of their old merch, then he looked at me and referred to me as "homie with our vinyl over there". I also got their setlist. I'll have to see if I can upload the pictures here.

• Like 1