Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

12 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight and Domino are better epics than any of the fake ass artsy, fartsy, let's be weird for the sake of being weird stuff they did with Gabriel. Phil has a lot of passion and emotion in his voice too. So, what Genesis did with him as the front man comes off a lot more genuine.

exactly my problem.  Genesis with gabrial had all the talant. but Gabrial is a flower so i don't care, lol

What da f**k is the lamb about? Nobody knows.  and if you say you do you're lying:laugh: it's rambling nonsense.

Mick

\

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

exactly my problem.  Genesis with gabrial had all the talant. but Gabrial is a flower so i don't care, lol

What da f**k is the lamb about? Nobody knows.  and if you say you do you're lying:laugh: it's rambling nonsense.

Mick

\

Actually…. I did craft a lengthy attempt at a plot analysis of The Lamb here a few months back.

• Haha 2

On 8/27/2023 at 10:50 AM, bluefox4000 said:

Rush-Power Windows (9/10)

I told you i'd been Working through the Rush discography VERY slowly, lol.  Taking my time even if i don't post about it.  Soaking in each album (even sitting with ones i hate.....looking at you GUP)

happy to report Power Windows is still one of my favs.  It expands futher into synth land but the songwriting remains top notch.  The synths add to the dark nature of most of the songs.  i can hear Segue saying.....yea but GUP.......yea but i think the SONGWRITING there mostly sucks.  I don't here.

My fav here is Marathon.  Always loved that song.  Still do.

TERRIFIC 80's Rush album.

Mick

I absolutely LOVE this album.  Middletown, Grand Designs, and Marathon are top 20 Rush tunes for me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

well this is my problem with prog diehards.  they slag off pop while not realizing the base for most of the prog they love is hook laden pop.

i dunno if they genuinly don't realize it or are actually stupid but it angers me either way. lol.

Mick

Oh true. I have that with metalheads too.

A band might release a super heavy album but because it has a studio budget fans are like SELLOUTS

Well how dare a band put effort into a decent recording 🤣

But I do get why a prog fan might despise the overtly poppy eighties stuff Yes and Genesis brought out. To me it's obvious, because I don't like post-Drama Yes until Magnification. 

As for Genesis, I don't like the Gabriel era, so I can understand the hate vice versa

• Like 3

King Crimson

In The Court of the Crimson King (10/10)

In The Wake of Poseidon (10/10

See the run i'm gonnd do Next?  this will be fun as it's been ages and i don't remember everything.  i only Remember the Whetton era was my fav group of albums. we'll see now.

these first two are giants though.

between the two some fav tracks

21st Century Schzoid Man

Epitaph

Moonchild (i find the instrumental really soothing...some think it runs long but it calms me)

The title track from the debut

Pictures of A City

Title Track from Poisedon

Cat Food (dumb lyrics but that groove man)

The Devil's Triangle.

this journey's gonna fun!!!!

Mick

• Like 3

King Crimson-Lizard (8/10)

After the First 2 being more straight prog.  this one leans jazzier. and honestly it's just weird, lol.  this album doesn't gell as well as the first too IMO.  and only just comes together for the title track wgich is just epic.  Great feature from Jon Anderson too.  However stuff like Happy family.....i'll pass, lol also After Greg Lake, Gordon Haskell is an odd ass fit.

it only gets the 8 for Lizard. without it......this album  kinda blows chunks.

Mick

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ST3V said:

DGM Live

Havent heard Wake Lizard or Islands since initial listen, its about time i did, i suppose, now that Mick is back to the King

they came out of the gate with a great one-two punch.

i think Losing Lake did hurt them as the nezt album was kinda floundering.  Aside from the Title song as i mentioned.  Lizard was a bit of a dud. but i'm sure it has fans, lol

Mick

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

they came out of the gate with a great one-two punch.

i think Losing Lake did hurt them as the nezt album was kinda floundering.  Aside from the Title song as i mentioned.  Lizard was a bit of a dud. but i'm sure it has fans, lol

Mick

Fripp has been very critical of Lizard (as you are with your own creations), even deeming it "unlistenable", that is, until Steven Wilson remixed it in such a way that he "finally heard Music in the music".

• Like 2

King Crimson-islands (7/10)

Well this and Lizard are to me listening in order the two outliers in Early Crimson.  Once again new Bassist and vocalist here....Boz.......and he is the complete opposite of Gordon Haskell in his voice is much sweeter.  Less Frantic.  Actually that's the story for Islands.  it's more  laid back than the in your face Lizard.

i really Enjoy.

Formentera Lady

Sailor's Tale (Fripp is going crazy here......really tasty guitar here)

Islands (hypnotic title song.  King Crimson is really good at putting you under a trance)

The rest is fair.

I just think KC needed stability and really needed change.  they'd get both in the next 3 albums.

Mick

• Like 3

King Crimson-Larks Tounges In Aspec(10/10)

Ok my last one for the night.  i'm am so biased cause this is my fav line-up but........KC got an  AUTOMATIC upgrade to me here.  I mean Fripp, Wetton and the mighty Bill Bruford.  YEA!!!!

i'm not even gonna list tracks just know i think everything is perfect on here.  And not that the playing was ever below par on Previous albums but come on......you do notice it going next level on here Or is it just me?

I love this lineup.  i love this their debut.

Mick

• Like 4

King Crimson-Larks Tounges In Aspic(10/10)

Ok my last one for the night.  i'm am so biased cause this is my fav line-up but........KC got an  AUTOMATIC upgrade to me here.  I mean Fripp, Wetton and the mighty Bill Bruford.  YEA!!!!

i'm not even gonna list tracks just know i think everything is perfect on here.  And not that the playing was ever below par on Previous albums but come on......you do notice it going next level on here Or is it just me?

Mick

motherfreaking jamie muir

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

King Crimson

In The Court of the Crimson King (10/10)

In The Wake of Poseidon (10/10

See the run i'm gonnd do Next?  this will be fun as it's been ages and i don't remember everything.  i only Remember the Whetton era was my fav group of albums. we'll see now.

these first two are giants though.

between the two some fav tracks

21st Century Schzoid Man

Epitaph

Moonchild (i find the instrumental really soothing...some think it runs long but it calms me)

The title track from the debut

Pictures of A City

Title Track from Poisedon

Cat Food (dumb lyrics but that groove man)

The Devil's Triangle.

this journey's gonna fun!!!!

Mick

Moonchild instrumental isn’t one of my favorite things but I don’t hate it. Everything else on the debut is golden to me. Poseidon is less balanced for me as I just don’t vibe with The Devil’s Triangle, and that plus the various pieces of peace makes the album feel inconsistent to me. I do like or love the rest though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

King Crimson-Lizard (8/10)

After the First 2 being more straight prog.  this one leans jazzier. and honestly it's just weird, lol.  this album doesn't gell as well as the first too IMO.  and only just comes together for the title track wgich is just epic.  Great feature from Jon Anderson too.  However stuff like Happy family.....i'll pass, lol also After Greg Lake, Gordon Haskell is an odd ass fit.

it only gets the 8 for Lizard. without it......this album  kinda blows chunks.

Mick

Lizard when I first heard it jumped up towards the top of my favorite KC, but I’ve since cooled a bit on it. The title epic is well worth the price of admission, and I dig the rest as well still, but Happy Family and Indoor Games get a shade too meanders for too long, and Lady Of The Dancing Waters is really pretty… filler. Their Rivendell. Just plainly not as great as ITTTW or C&C from the previous records.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

King Crimson-islands (7/10)

Well this and Lizard are to me listening in order the two outliers in Early Crimson.  Once again new Bassist and vocalist here....Boz.......and he is the complete opposite of Gordon Haskell in his voice is much sweeter.  Less Frantic.  Actually that's the story for Islands.  it's more  laid back than the in your face Lizard.

i really Enjoy.

Formentera Lady

Sailor's Tale (Fripp is going crazy here......really tasty guitar here)

Islands (hypnotic title song.  King Crimson is really good at putting you under a trance)

The rest is fair.

I just think KC needed stability and really needed change.  they'd get both in the next 3 albums.

Mick

Actually my #2 KC album! I love everything here. It’s much much more chill, and I think that suits Crimson much better than you would expect. The title track and Sailor’s Tail are also my favorites, but I love the beauty of Prelude, the wonky Asian jazz of Formentera Lady, the drama of The Letters, and the raunchy take on The Beatles of Ladies Of The Road.

King Crimson-Larks Tounges In Aspec(10/10)

Mick

The last of the classic era I got around to (I followed a weird order), and still the one I need to spend the most additional time with. On one hand, I love it, on the other, it’s a kinda hazy long toke of a record, where all the tracks seem to fade into each other when you’re not looking. I’ve also spent a great deal of time with The Great Deceiver collection of live recordings from this era, and now studio versions of Easy Money and the title tracks feel a bit strange to me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ST3V said:

motherfreaking jamie muir

And don’t forget David Cross! He may never have been the perfect “fit” for KC, but that’s exactly why I love him.

• Like 2

Taylor Swift- Fearless TV

Taylor Swift- Evermore

Taylor Swift- Midnights

• Like 1