New Frost* - Day and Age

What a nice surprise. Didn't think they were still making music.

Woo Hoo!!

Craig's not with the band anymore, I read they're using guest drummers.

• Like 2

Whoever is playing on this album is slaying it. Maybe it’s a bunch of different guys - some of it sounds like Craig. Wonder if he recorded some of the tracks before he split.

Three drummers, Kaz Rodriguez, Darby Todd and Pat Mastelotto. I'm not sure though who plays on which track.
  • Like 2

I haven't had a chance to give it a proper listen yet, but from what I've heard, it didn't grab me. I loved Terrestrial, which sounded just like something from their awesome "Others" EP; but most of the rest has had a more melancholy, more grey sound than I've come to expect from Frost.

I could be way wrong about this if I give it another listen... but I was hoping to hear notes more in line with the direction Frost was going with the high energy and vibrant colors of "Others", and was a bit disappointed it's not quite that.

Century Media has stopped even replying to me, so I went less legit channels to get a copy I can enjoy until the CD arrives.

I'm through the album twice and it's enjoyable, but not a lot of hooks. It's more similar to their first two albums which are generally darker, and like KenJennings noted it's a darker album overall. There's even a touch of metal chug on one track. lol

I'm enjoying it for what it is - a variation by a very adept band. I think John Mitchell's taken a stronger lead songwriting role on this, much of it feels and sounds like Lonely Robot material.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

There are themes similar to Falling Satellites but there seems to be more of a definitive concept to me. The Boy Who Stood Still throws off a Peter Gabriel vibe. And I did the Tears for Fears homage it might be making.

I really like John Mitchell - excellent voice and just a shredding guitar player.

• Like 1

Century Media has stopped even replying to me, so I went less legit channels to get a copy I can enjoy until the CD arrives.

I emailed them again, they reset the download link and after a dozen tries this time finally worked. In fairness to Century Media, they at least fixed whatever was wrong. But their follow through was poor.

Enjoying the album!

Liking what I hear, in general. The record goes a little flat, not much, in the middle. But overall, very good. Will be spinning the whole set of files for a while until I pick off the best 4 or so tracks to add to the playlist.

I'm glad I stuck with this album, and then gave it a revisit a few months later. My first impressions weren't fair, and this album has grown into one of my favorites. I was just listening yesterday and was thinking this is my 2021 album of the year to date. The darker tone of Day and Age fits the lyrics so well, and the album becomes incredibly thematic- almost to the point of a concept album toward the end. Terrestrial, Island Life and Kill the Orchestra stand out as absolute masterpieces.

It didn't grab me initially, but now to me, it's the sound of 2021.

• Like 1