A randomly generated poll: Boston vs. Three Sides Live

choose one  

26 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Boston - Boston
    • Genesis - Three Sides Live

... and really...how can something be MORE than a feeling?

More than a feeling = reality

The reality here is that the debut Boston album is one of the best ever in rock music history. Versus a live album by a respected prog band.

"It's more than a feeling (more than a feeling)

When I hear that old song they used to play (more than a feeling)"

So...he's not just having a FEELING when he hears that old song...he's....well, he's actually hearing it in reality? Which is the only way he could be having a feeling from hearing it...? Hmmm.

I was just being snarky because it's a dumb lyric...which, granted, doesn't set it apart from about 70% of rock music.

Look up on the wall

There on the floor

Under the pillow

Behind the door

There's a crack in the mirror

Somewhere there's a hole in a window-pane

Do you think I'm to blame?

Tell me: do you think I'm to blame?

(When they do it) you're never there

(When they show it) you stop and stare

(Abacab)

Isn't anywhere

(Abacab)

If you're wrapping up the world

'Cause you've taken

Someone else's girl

When they turn on the pillow

Even when they answer the telephone

Don't you think that by now?

Tell me: don't you think that by now?

(Abacab)

Isn't anywhere

(Abacab)

Doesn't really care

You want it, you got it, you gotta go!

You want it, you got it, now you know!

It's an illusion

It's a game

A reflection of someone else's name

When you wake in the morning

Wake and find you're covered in cellophane

Well, there's a hole in there somewhere

Yeah, there's a hole in there somewhere

Baby, there's a hole in there somewhere

Now there's a hole in there somewhere

(Abacab)

Isn't anywhere

(Abacab)

• Like 1

The reality here is that the debut Boston album is one of the best ever in rock music history. Versus a live album by a respected prog band.

So...he's not just having a FEELING when he hears that old song...he's....well, he's actually hearing it in reality? Which is the only way he could be having a feeling from hearing it...? Hmmm.

I was just being snarky because it's a dumb lyric...which, granted, doesn't set it apart from about 70% of rock music.

Look up on the wall

There on the floor

Under the pillow

Behind the door

(Abacab)

Isn't anywhere

(Abacab)

'Cause you've taken

Someone else's girl

(Abacab)

Isn't anywhere

(Abacab)

Doesn't really care

It's an illusion

It's a game

(Abacab)

Isn't anywhere

(Abacab)

You posted another from the 70%. I'm not a fan of Abacab, the song particularly or the lyrics - but the words are clearly supposed to be vague, giving a sense of menace and violence and maybe surveillance? I mean, the name of the song is just the shorthand for the structure of the song itself, so it's a total throwaway piece of crap. And yet there's nothing as saccharine, banal or dumb as "more than a feeling" in there.

Look up on the wall

There on the floor

Under the pillow

Behind the door

(Abacab)

Isn't anywhere

(Abacab)

'Cause you've taken

Someone else's girl

(Abacab)

Isn't anywhere

(Abacab)

Doesn't really care

It's an illusion

It's a game

(Abacab)

Isn't anywhere

(Abacab)

You posted another from the 70%. I'm not a fan of Abacab, the song particularly or the lyrics - but the words are clearly supposed to be vague, giving a sense of menace and violence and maybe surveillance? I mean, the name of the song is just the shorthand for the structure of the song itself, so it's a total throwaway piece of crap. And yet there's nothing as saccharine, banal or dumb as "more than a feeling" in there.

Ooh man, I have to disagree. More Than A Feeling has more meaning than Abacab I think. It's a pretty simple, somewhat cliche story, but it's incredibly expressive musically and that brings the lyric into vivid cinematic quality in my head. The narrator wakes up early, maybe for work, maybe to catch a flight, maybe for some other outside responsibility that already has him feeling depressed. To counteract this, he puts on some of his favorite music, but whether he likes it or not, that music reminds him of a girl who he still longs for, one who he let walk away. But even that pain of loss beats dealing with silence early in the morning. When he says it's more than a feeling, he means the feelings that the song brings back to him about the girl are so lifelike that he could almost believe he's right back in that moment where he watches her walk away, even though that happened years ago. He can relive it through the music, picture it "as clear as the sun in the summer sky."

I love Abacab too, and I agree that the lyric seems to be something about surveillance or ghosts or just this constant feeling of being watched, monitored, paranoid. But to me the lyric doesn't match that of More Than A Feeling.

• Like 3

Look up on the wall

There on the floor

Under the pillow

Behind the door

(Abacab)

Isn't anywhere

(Abacab)

'Cause you've taken

Someone else's girl

(Abacab)

Isn't anywhere

(Abacab)

Doesn't really care

It's an illusion

It's a game

(Abacab)

Isn't anywhere

(Abacab)

Ooh man, I have to disagree. More Than A Feeling has more meaning than Abacab I think. It's a pretty simple, somewhat cliche story, but it's incredibly expressive musically and that brings the lyric into vivid cinematic quality in my head. The narrator wakes up early, maybe for work, maybe to catch a flight, maybe for some other outside responsibility that already has him feeling depressed. To counteract this, he puts on some of his favorite music, but whether he likes it or not, that music reminds him of a girl who he still longs for, one who he let walk away. But even that pain of loss beats dealing with silence early in the morning. When he says it's more than a feeling, he means the feelings that the song brings back to him about the girl are so lifelike that he could almost believe he's right back in that moment where he watches her walk away, even though that happened years ago. He can relive it through the music, picture it "as clear as the sun in the summer sky."

I love Abacab too, and I agree that the lyric seems to be something about surveillance or ghosts or just this constant feeling of being watched, monitored, paranoid. But to me the lyric doesn't match that of More Than A Feeling.

I appreciate your perspective on this, sincerely.

• Like 1

The title track "Abacab" got its name from the song's early musical structure, has nothing to do with anything which just lends support top the song itself being nonsense [otherwise they would have given it a 'proper' title like the remainder of their catalog].

I was also being a bit tongue-in-cheek in my reply. The two albums are as far apart as they could possibly be with regards to their importance to rock music's canon. I think the random poll generator is broken, if this is the best it can spit out. :laughing guy:

• Like 2

The title track "Abacab" got its name from the song's early musical structure, has nothing to do with anything which just lends support top the song itself being nonsense [otherwise they would have given it a 'proper' title like the remainder of their catalog].

I was also being a bit tongue-in-cheek in my reply. The two albums are as far apart as they could possibly be with regards to their importance to rock music's canon. I think the random poll generator is broken, if this is the best it can spit out. :laughing guy:

And yet... the poll is tied! How strange... :16ton: :lol:

People are voting for the band, not the specific album. If it was Boston v Genesis, Genesis all day. But that's not the question being asked.

Edited by stoopid

People are voting for the band, not the specific album. If it was Boston v Genesis, Genesis all day. But that's not the question being asked.

Pretty sure people are voting for the specific album.