Intelligent QUALITY Horror Movies

rushgoober

Would Werner Herzog's Nosferatu qualify as horror. I really enjoyed the movie, wasn't scary and only had one drop of blood. There is a heavy sense of forboding though, visuals were fantastic!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently bought the restored version of "Dark Night Of the Scarecrow" (1981). Any bloodshed or violence is implied.

The musical score is among the best I've heard in any horror movie. Anytime I watch this movie, I feel very creeped out, like I something is around the corner.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 18 2012, 09:33 PM)
I recently bought the restored version of "Dark Night Of the Scarecrow" (1981). Any bloodshed or violence is implied.

The musical score is among the best I've heard in any horror movie. Anytime I watch this movie, I feel very creeped out, like I something is around the corner.

Great movie! Pretty crazy that it was a made for tv movie- you never see anything this cool nowadays. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jun 19 2012, 01:44 AM)

Great movie! Pretty crazy that it was a made for tv movie- you never see anything this cool nowadays. trink39.gif

A lot of people have stated that they couldn't believe it was a made for TV movie. It really was cinema worthy. They added a scene that was left out on the original TV airing and the VHS version.

It was at the end where they showed the inside of the tractor and who was driving it.

There is commentary on it as you watch the film if you like. They added more sound to the preserves falling on the plate right after the wood chipper scene. It's the most talked about scene in the film.

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 19 2012, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 18 2012, 07:36 PM)
Leprechaun in the Hood

We all watched it along with all the Leprechaun movies straight after you recommended "Leprechaun in Space" here.

honestly lep in space and lep in the hood are pretty shitty but the first 3 are very entertaining

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 19 2012, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jun 19 2012, 01:44 AM)

A lot of people have stated that they couldn't believe it was a made for TV movie. It really was cinema worthy. They added a scene that was left out on the original TV airing and the VHS version.

It was at the end where they showed the inside of the tractor and who was driving it.

There is commentary on it as you watch the film if you like. They added more sound to the preserves falling on the plate right after the wood chipper scene. It's the most talked about scene in the film.

I'm definitely due for a re-watch soon. I'm gonna have to watch with commentary this time. trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 20 2012, 12:40 AM)
It's great still seeing this thread on top!!!

Just wanted to let you Pinhead junkies like myself know that "Hellraiser II" is finally on Blu-Ray!!!

Hellraiser II is great - maybe even a little better than the original. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jun 19 2012, 10:49 PM)

Just wanted to let you Pinhead junkies like myself know that "Hellraiser II" is finally on Blu-Ray!!!

Hellraiser II is great - maybe even a little better than the original. unsure.gif

I absolutely love the first one but the second one is truly over the top with a lot more gore and a bigger budget!

I still have to stick with the first one though at the end of the day.

It's like nothing will ever touch the first "Halloween."

Then again I'm a total homer. "Halloween" is my all time favorite film.

My favorite movie and album of all time both begin with the letter H.

"Halloween" and "Hemispheres!"

1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 20 2012, 12:54 AM)

I absolutely love the first one but the second one is truly over the top with a lot more gore and a bigger budget!

1022.gif

After part 3 I gave up on Hellraiser- absolute shit from then on. Halloween is up there but my all time fave since I was 13yrs. old has always been the original Chainsaw Massacre. I'm so fukked up I even got Leatherface tattooed on me a few years ago! Since we're both Carpenter fans and you brought Halloween up I gotta say his true mastrepiece will always be The Thing!!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jun 19 2012, 10:58 PM)

1022.gif

After part 3 I gave up on Hellraiser- absolute shit from then on. Halloween is up there but my all time fave since I was 13yrs. old has always been the original Chainsaw Massacre. I'm so fukked up I even got Leatherface tattooed on me a few years ago! Since we're both Carpenter fans and you brought Halloween up I gotta say his true mastrepiece will always be The Thing!!! trink39.gif

Jesus! Why do I get along with so many of you guys on here? (and girls)

Dude, I absolutely LOVE Carpenter's "The Thing!" The original is ok but too old. The remake is a pure piece of shit but I liked how they tied the end in to Carpenter's beginning.

You are a nut! You have a Leatheface tat?

The only tattoo I would ever get would be a Rush tat and I won't even do that!!!

I've mentioned this on here many times. I am one of the biggest "Halloween III" fans in the world. Absolutely a gem! It's so far fetched and cheesy that it's immaculate. I love the soundtrack too!!!

There are so many flaws in "Halloween III" that it's a epic movie!!

The time change in the US always baffles me.

The movie takes place on the West Coast and the big giveaway is on at 9 pm PST.

Well it would already be midnight in New York and most kids would be in bed.

Also how the hell did they steal a big piece of Stonehenge?

I loved Part IV and V with Pleasance. But that was it for me.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 20 2012, 01:33 AM)

1022.gif

Dude, I absolutely LOVE Carpenter's "The Thing!" The original is ok but too old. The remake is a pure piece of shit but I liked how they tied the end in to Carpenter's beginning.

The only tattoo I would ever get would be a Rush tat and I won't even do that!!!

I've mentioned this on here many times. I am one of the biggest "Halloween III" fans in the world. Absolutely a gem! It's so far fetched and cheesy that it's immaculate. I love the soundtrack too!!!

Funny you mention a Rush tat- I'm getting one on Friday! My wife is pissed that I'll get Leatherface and Rush, but not her name! laugh.gif Halloween 3 is an awesome movie! The George Eastman House screened it awhile back and Tom Atkins even made an appearance! The ridiculousness of the movie makes it all the more great! Silver Shamrock!!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jun 19 2012, 11:38 PM)

1022.gif

Funny you mention a Rush tat- I'm getting one on Friday! My wife is pissed that I'll get Leatherface and Rush, but not her name! laugh.gif Halloween 3 is an awesome movie! The George Eastman House screened it awhile back and Tom Atkins even made an appearance! The ridiculousness of the movie makes it all the more great! Silver Shamrock!!! trink39.gif

Holy shit man!! A "NEW TATTOO!" Do you like that Motley Crue record? LOL! I do!!!

Good for you! I hope you put a picture of it on the Forum. Are you going Starman???

It figures you also love "Halloween III." We are a rare breed but we must stick together!!

That damn Silver Shamrock jingle is now in my head!! October is a long way away. I hope they put "Halloween III" out on Blu-Ray soon!!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 20 2012, 01:44 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jun 19 2012, 11:38 PM)

1022.gif

Holy shit man!! A "NEW TATTOO!" Do you like that Motley Crue record? LOL! I do!!!

Good for you! I hope you put a picture of it on the Forum. Are you going Starman???

It figures you also love "Halloween III." We are a rare breed but we must stick together!!

That damn Silver Shamrock jingle is now in my head!! October is a long way away. I hope they put "Halloween III" out on Blu-Ray soon!!

Picking a Rush tat was kinda hard for me - They really don't have a logo or an "Eddie", so I'm doing a little play on Presto with my own twist! Not my fave album, but I think I came up with a pretty cool play on the bunny in the hat. I was gonna do starman, but I thought that was too obvious of a choice for Rush- plus I'm not sure if I want a naked dude on me tongue.gif Pics will definitely be posted! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 2 2005, 04:31 PM)
I saw my favorite horror movie ever this past week-end - The Shining. I used to love horror movies when I was a kid, but have mostly grown out of them. Don't get me wrong, I still watch them from time to time, it's just that most horror movies (and I hope I don't offend any big time horror fanatics) are STUPID.

If the point of seeing a horror movies is JUST to be scared by some crazed killer or JUST to see blood and gore, then most of them accomplish their goals (Freddy, Jason, Chucky, Michael Myers, etc.), but I personally want something that's done with a little bit of intelligence and quality, a movie that stands up as a really good movie (with God forbid, a decent STORY) depsite the fact that it's a horror film. I haven't seen many of them. Here are a few that come to mind - horror movies that are actually good quality films. Can anyone add to this list?

The Shining
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the 70's version, didn't see the original)
An American Werewolf In London
Poltergeist
Alien
The Others

hmmmm, my list is short...

Read The Shining, it will put a lot of what's in the movie into perspective.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jun 18 2012, 08:15 AM)
Would Werner Herzog's Nosferatu qualify as horror. I really enjoyed the movie, wasn't scary and only had one drop of blood. There is a heavy sense of forboding though, visuals were fantastic!

That movie is such a classic and the Great-Grandfather of horror...simply sublime and fantastic!

"Halloween" is my all time favorite film.

goodpost.gif

The first "Halloween" movie is always going to be a favourite.

Even as it ages and gets somewhat dated it still delivers the goods!

I don't know if this qualifies as horror, but one of my all-time favourite movies is "Silence of the Lambs".

That movies is so good...the acting is unbelievable!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ptkI8YQVkXM/T0_m1ZXBVII/AAAAAAAABCE/tyOdBjomh8g/s1600/movies_silence_of_the_lambs-11297.jpg

Of course, the original "Manhunter" is pretty amazing as well.