Which Lightning Strikes song do you prefer?

treeduck

Which Lightning Strikes song do you like?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Lightning Strikes but which one?

• Ozzy Osbourne - Lightning Strikes
    • Judas Priest - Lightning Strike
    • Dokken - Lightnin' Strikes Again
    • Aerosmith - Lightning Strikes

I'm not really a metal guy, so picking a winner was more like a process of elimination. I did listen to all four songs in their entirety.

Right off the bat, Aerosmith without Perry and Whitford isn't Aerosmith, and that song is weak, so it's gone.

Dokken, to me, is typical hair metal (most of which I hate), and that song did nothing to transcend that, so it's gone. (sorry, Earl!)

I was never that into Ozzy, but he was interesting when Randy was there. He's not there on this one, and it sounds like typical hair metal era stuff, so it's gone.

That leaves Preist. Last man standing, yeah, but that song might have won anyway. It's a good tune. I heard a good chunk from that album, and you gotta give it to them, they're delivering solid stuff this late in their career. It sounds like Preist, but it doesn't sound like '80s leftovers.

OMG!!! My "METAL HEART" is broken 73! I can't ACCEPT the fact that you are not into heavy metal!! lol

It's ok my friend, different strokes. DOKKEN RULES!

73 you have always been someone to learn guitar tone from. I am surprised you didn't get into the Ozzy Jake E Lee years. I guess you don't care for Badlands then.

The Priest song is refreshing but you know me, I love the 80's baby!!

Cheers!

Jake's tone on that song was good, actually. Hated George's tone on the Dokken tune. Typical for the hair era, it was wimpy and chorused.

I can't believe you think George's tone is "wimpy and chorused." Incredible. Mind blown. Heart crushed. lol

I've no problem with the tone, it's fine. I think it's more Neil Kernon's 80's production values that impact the song.

That's incredible. I didn't think about the production values. If Ted Templeman produced the first four DOKKEN records would they be better?

Well I would say so. Listen to the difference between the first 6 Van Halen albums and 5150.

Right. On 5150 and OU812, Eddie abandoned the usual recording techniques from the six DLR era albums -- a raw guitar-amp sound -- and went with the chorused and processed sound a lot of the hair metal guys were going with.in the '80s. It was very disappointing.

Even on For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge there's a lack of bass and a thin processed guitar tone compared to the Roth-era albums.

It's amazing how many record producers of the 70's and 80's were from England working on all these American albums.

Well that is true although my knowledge about this is not as strong as yours Pat.

All I can say is.....

"Hail To England!"

Love,

MANOWAR

Well almost every producer RUSH ever had was English, especially in the 70's and 80's with Terry Brown, Peter Collins, Rupert Hine and Paul Northfield. And then there's Neil Kernon, Mike Stone, Roy Thomas Baker, Martin Birch, Rodger Bain, Chris Tsangarides, James Guthrie, Tom Allom, Trevor Horn, Andy Johns, Eddy Offord. And these are just the ones that I can think of right now.

You amaze me.

There's probably a few I forgot, and one I didn't mention the granddaddy of them all George Martin.

I'm not really a metal guy, so picking a winner was more like a process of elimination. I did listen to all four songs in their entirety.

Right off the bat, Aerosmith without Perry and Whitford isn't Aerosmith, and that song is weak, so it's gone.

Dokken, to me, is typical hair metal (most of which I hate), and that song did nothing to transcend that, so it's gone. (sorry, Earl!)

I was never that into Ozzy, but he was interesting when Randy was there. He's not there on this one, and it sounds like typical hair metal era stuff, so it's gone.

That leaves Preist. Last man standing, yeah, but that song might have won anyway. It's a good tune. I heard a good chunk from that album, and you gotta give it to them, they're delivering solid stuff this late in their career. It sounds like Preist, but it doesn't sound like '80s leftovers.

OMG!!! My "METAL HEART" is broken 73! I can't ACCEPT the fact that you are not into heavy metal!! lol

73 you have always been someone to learn guitar tone from. I am surprised you didn't get into the Ozzy Jake E Lee years. I guess you don't care for Badlands then.

Cheers!

Jake's tone on that song was good, actually. Hated George's tone on the Dokken tune. Typical for the hair era, it was wimpy and chorused.

I can't believe you think George's tone is "wimpy and chorused." Incredible. Mind blown. Heart crushed. lol

I've no problem with the tone, it's fine. I think it's more Neil Kernon's 80's production values that impact the song.

That's incredible. I didn't think about the production values. If Ted Templeman produced the first four DOKKEN records would they be better?

Well I would say so. Listen to the difference between the first 6 Van Halen albums and 5150.

Right. On 5150 and OU812, Eddie abandoned the usual recording techniques from the six DLR era albums -- a raw guitar-amp sound -- and went with the chorused and processed sound a lot of the hair metal guys were going with.in the '80s. It was very disappointing.

Even on For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge there's a lack of bass and a thin processed guitar tone compared to the Roth-era albums.

His tone was better on For Unlawful than it was on the previous two albums (Judgement Day sounds pretty good), but it still wasn't up to his legendary tone from the DLR era. His tone on Fair Warning is the benchmark for a heavy guitar sound IMO, and 1984 is right behind it.

• Like 2

Cheers!

But 73!

I must be a hypocrite then. I love Lynch. I love Deville. I love Brata. I love Thayer. I love Sambora. I love Frank Hannon. I love Brad Gillis. I love Mick Mars. I love Nuno. I love Sykes. Adrian Vandenberg, Vai. All in Whitesnake tone.

Perhaps as a drummer of 38 years I just never paid much attention to tone.

But I am aware of Eddie's "brown sound" 73. You taught me that years ago.

I don't know.

Steve Clarke's tone on "Hysteria" and "Adrenalize." Slick.

I love Earl Slick too.

Oh well.

It is what it is.

• Like 2

Cheers!

I get it now. There is no balance of tone on "Balance."

Cheers!

His tone was better on For Unlawful than it was on the previous two albums (Judgement Day sounds pretty good), but it still wasn't up to his legendary tone from the DLR era. His tone on Fair Warning is the benchmark for a heavy guitar sound IMO, and 1984 is right behind it.

Yeah his tone was slightly better. It was Andy Johns who was the producer on that album, another English guy.

Cheers!

But 73!

I must be a hypocrite then. I love Lynch. I love Deville. I love Brata. I love Thayer. I love Sambora. I love Frank Hannon. I love Brad Gillis. I love Mick Mars. I love Nuno. I love Sykes. Adrian Vandenberg, Vai. All in Whitesnake tone.

I don't know.

I love Earl Slick too.

Oh well.

It is what it is.

Well the fact is most guitarists wanted to get the Van Halen guitar sound. For instance Nuno Bettencourt used to try to get as close as he could to the tone on Van Halen I and Van Halen II whenever he set up in the studio.

• Like 1

Cheers!

The tone on "Fair Warning" is untouchable. I always thought "1984" was more polished in production and the keyboards didn't help, but it is a great record. Eddie rips.

• Like 2

Cheers!

But 73!

I don't know.

I love Earl Slick too.

Oh well.

It is what it is.

Well the fact is most guitarists wanted to get the Van Halen guitar sound. For instance Nuno Bettencourt used to try to get as close as he could to the tone on Van Halen I and Van Halen II whenever he set up in the studio.

Exactly! You put that video of Nuno on here. Amazing.

• Like 1

Cheers!

I get it now. There is no balance of tone on "Balance."

At the end of the day though while production and guitar tone is important a good guitar solo is a good guitar solo. And like I said I never had an issue with Lynch's tone myself.

Ron Nevison produced Ozzy's The Ultimate Sin. He's an American and he also produced Thin Lizzy's Nightlife, UFO Lights Out, Obsession and Strangers in the Night also Walk on Water, the first Survivor album and Vital Signs, two MSG albums, Jefferson Starship's Freedom at Point Zero, Heart's Heart album and Bad Animals, Vince Neil's Exposed and so on.

Cheers!

But 73!

I don't know.

I love Earl Slick too.

Oh well.

It is what it is.

Exactly! You put that video of Nuno on here. Amazing.

Aye.

Cheers!

But 73!

I don't know.

I love Earl Slick too.

Oh well.

It is what it is.

But there's a bias there for me. I'm a guitar player, a gear nerd and tone-chaser, AND someone who hates hair metal -- and the over-processed guitar sounds that went with it. You, on the other hand, love hair metal (and metal in general), and the players from that era did have tons of skill, so you're looking at it from a completely different place than I am. You're not a hypocrite at all!

The whole processed guitar sound worked well for Alex and Rush in their heyday because Rush was progressive and textural, and Alex was trying to fill the soundscape in the context of a trio. But for metal music in the '80s, it didn't work, at least to my ears. Alex's heaviest sounds were from Rush to 2112, and then from Counterparts on. T4E's guitar tones are pretty damn heavy.

• Like 3

Max Norman who I forgot to put in the original list is a big English producer too, he did Ozzy's Blizzard, Diary, Bark, Tribute and Speak of the Devil, Loudness Thunder in the East and Lightning Strikes, Malice Licence to Kill, and he's also produced Megadeth, Death Angel, Lynch Mob's Wicked Sensation, Y&T's Black Tiger, two Coney Hatch albums, Armored Saint and Savatage.
  • Like 1

Cheers!

But 73!

I don't know.

I love Earl Slick too.

Oh well.

It is what it is.

But there's a bias there for me. I'm a guitar player, a gear nerd and tone-chaser, AND someone who hates hair metal -- and the over-processed guitar sounds that went with it. You, on the other hand, love hair metal (and metal in general), and the players from that era did have tons of skill, so you're looking at it from a completely different place than I am. You're not a hypocrite at all!

The whole processed guitar sound worked well for Alex and Rush in their heyday because Rush was progressive and textural, and Alex was trying to fill the soundscape in the context of a trio. But for metal music in the '80s, it didn't work, at least to my ears. Alex's heaviest sounds were from Rush to 2112, and then from Counterparts on. T4E's guitar tones are pretty damn heavy.

Thank you my friend! I get it!! I am not a hypocrite. I know you are a guitar player and I love that you are so knowledgeable in tone and gear! I am still surprised you never go into Hair Metal. It's like Melodic Guitar Heaven, but it's Hell for you! LOL!

I totally understand the evolution of Alex's tone. Excellent. I love learning about guitar tone. I am fascinated even as a drummer!! 73 I collect guitars. I love all the signature models. It's a secret passion for me even though I just noodle around on my Ovation guitar at night.

Did you like Alex's guitar tone on "Vapor Trails?" You know how I feel about that record. lol

Gosh I love "Counterparts."

• Like 2

Max Norman who I forgot to put in the original list is a big English producer too, he did Ozzy's Blizzard, Diary, Bark, Tribute and Speak of the Devil, Loudness Thunder in the East and Lightning Strikes, Malice Licence to Kill, and he's also produced Megadeth, Death Angel, Lynch Mob's Wicked Sensation, Y&T's Black Tiger, two Coney Hatch albums, Armored Saint and Savatage.

Pat!!!! You drive me crazy!

I have a lot of knowledge about music but you blow me away. I love and own every record by those bands you have mentioned.

I think it's the way my brain is wired. 73 is right, I'm not a hypocrite, I am just zoning in on the drums and the music.

I need to pay more attention to guitar tone.

I confess, I rarely focus on the lyrics to a song. It's all music to me. Bass, guitar, keys, vocal pitch. It's probably why those looping Geddy Lee back ground vocals on VT drive me crazy like a werewolf listening to a dog whistle.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 2

Pat!!!! You drive me crazy!

I have a lot of knowledge about music but you blow me away. I love and own every record by those bands you have mentioned.

I think it's the way my brain is wired. 73 is right, I'm not a hypocrite, I am just zoning in on the drums and the music.

I need to pay more attention to guitar tone.

I confess, I rarely focus on the lyrics to a song. It's all music to me. Bass, guitar, keys, vocal pitch.

Don't worry about it mate, that's just your way and it's not a wrong way.

Cheers!

But 73!

I don't know.

I love Earl Slick too.

Oh well.

It is what it is.

Thank you my friend! I get it!! I am not a hypocrite. I know you are a guitar player and I love that you are so knowledgeable in tone and gear! I am still surprised you never go into Hair Metal. It's like Melodic Guitar Heaven, but it's Hell for you! LOL!

I totally understand the evolution of Alex's tone. Excellent. I love learning about guitar tone. I am fascinated even as a drummer!! 73 I collect guitars. I love all the signature models. It's a secret passion for me even though I just noodle around on my Ovation guitar at night.

Did you like Alex's guitar tone on "Vapor Trails?" You know how I feel about that record. lol

Gosh I love "Counterparts."

Alex had different tones on VT. He sounded different on One Little Victory and Ghost Rider than on Earthshine, and different again on Nocturne, etc. Overall I think he picked the right sounds to fit the songs, which is one of Alex's trademarks. His sounds on CP andT4E are much more consistent from one song to the next, a straight-ahead heavy rock sound with varying degrees of heaviness.

• Like 1

Fun Poll Pat. Funny, I instantly thought of the album "Lightning Strikes" by LOUDNESS!!!!

I need to think about this one......

Yeah I wanted to try and squeeze that in but they don't have a song, just the album title.

Exactly! Ok buddy I went with DOKKEN! I love that entire record!!! Masterpiece.

And Thin Lizzy have Thunder and Lightning but it's too different to the other song titles for this poll.

That crossed my mind too. "Thunder and lightning, God Damn it's so exciting" Incredible song.

If Phil Lynott had never died in 1986 and was still around and active in music, how many more Thin Lizzy albums would he have made? The line-up would most likely have been the three core members of Phil, Brian and Scott but who would the other guitar player be on all the other albums, or would there be several guys in that spot as there always was before?

Maybe Gary would have rejoined and just maybe he'd still be with us too, after his life took a different turn.

However, Phil and Gary were, it has to be said, a danger to themselves, and as much as I'd love too, we can't re-write history.

If Phil hadn't taken the overdose and Gary that last drink, I reckon a similar fate was still waiting for them further down the line.

Edited by alpha p
  • Like 1

I am an Ozzy fan (no... really?) and I love Jake E Lee. But I went with Aerosmith on this one. Great album. I'll further piss people off by saying I like Rock In A Hard Place better than Rocks (...but not better than Toys...) I can only think of maybe a couple of bands that came out with a killer album in the depth of their Drug Years.

Priest I like fine, Dokken I won't miss.

I am an Ozzy fan (no... really?) and I love Jake E Lee. But I went with Aerosmith on this one. Great album. I'll further piss people off by saying I like Rock In A Hard Place better than Rocks (...but not better than Toys...) I can only think of maybe a couple of bands that came out with a killer album in the depth of their Drug Years.

Priest I like fine, Dokken I won't miss.

Metal?