Vapor Trails vs Vapor Trails Remixed - 17 years later.

treeduck

Vapor Trails which version do you prefer now  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which edition of Vapor Trails do you prefer now?

• Vapor Trails - the 2002 Original
    • Vapor Trails Remixed (2013)
    • I don't like the original and the remixed version did nothing to improve it

VAPOR ANUS

Vapor Trails rocks Earl!

Musically speaking I agree. Geddy's voice and the back vocal tracking drives me nuts. JMO

For example: that yodeling on "One Little Victory" is just horrible. Song is great. Neil kills it on the drums.

I think they got too much into the idea of endless jamming to find new songs. The sitting around composing idea went out the window. I think they spent too long noodling about to make songs and it seems like they just churned out hours of stuff and then cut big chunks of the jam sessions shoehorning them into songs along with the lyrics. I do like it though but because of what I said the songs don't feel as obviously melodic and perfectly structured from front to back like on the classic RUSH albums.

Ok I know you think I'm a pansy rocker and I really don't like kissing ass in public but WOW!!! YOU FUKKING NAILED IT PAT!!!!!

As a guy who actually really liked VT when it came out but started to loathe it over the years, I must totally agree with you. I have always been saying about the lack of melody in the musical structure of the songs, yet there is some strange "off" melody." It's a very interesting record. When I compare "Vapor Trails" as to "St. Anger" by Metallica, I just say that shit to get a rise out of people.

You know me Pat. A lot of my outlandish shit I type on here is just to start a sparring conversation. Being born with no filter doesn't help.

There are some great moments on "VT." "Secret Touch" for instance. Great song.

It took me about 10 listens before I started to get VT, it all kind of came together in my mind like a broken windscreen in reverse filmed in slow motion.

• Like 2

Original mix, LP version!

So much better than the CD. It should have an official anti-headache approval sticker on the front. :hail:

Luckily I've never had a headache in my life, no matter what I listen to or how much I drink!

You're "My Favorite Headache" Pat! LOL!!!

I recently tried to get back in this record after Neil passed. I still can't get through any version without turning it off.

I'm still waiting for my first headache Earl. Guess what? It's never gonna come! My head is a bulletproof zone!

You have the perfect skull for BLACK METAL!

And death metal!

But of course!

And THRASH

And DOOM!

And STONER ROCK

Not so keen on that, it all sounds like Bad Sabbath clonage. They take the very basic elements of Sabbath with none of the tension, dynamics or magic of the original 70's Sabbath sound. And of course they have weak songs and riffs because the stoner guitarists are light years behind Iommi. Stoner rock is like a fake Sabbath painting that doesn't even look right.

Very true. Finding quality stoner rock bands is like finding a quality single woman. You have to go through the weeds fo find the green green grass.

It's hard dude especially for me at 52. But I had love once luckily. Two great girls out of it. No regrets.

My next wife will either be Music or a sex robot that will look like Ginger Lynn in 1985.

For me I just stick to Sabbath mostly for that style, why bother with anything else. Bands like The Sword did some of that style on their earlier albums but it wasn't just Sabbath ripoff music there was much more to it.

Yes! I love The Sword.

What about bands like SLEEP? ELECTRIC WIZARD? ORANGE GOBLIN?

I dig them.

I haven't been able to get into those bands. I've seen their albums ranked super high in year end metal rankings of poser metal websites but I just don't get it, like in NEUROTICA...EXOTICA!!

VAPOR ANUS

Vapor Trails rocks Earl!

Musically speaking I agree. Geddy's voice and the back vocal tracking drives me nuts. JMO

For example: that yodeling on "One Little Victory" is just horrible. Song is great. Neil kills it on the drums.

I think they got too much into the idea of endless jamming to find new songs. The sitting around composing idea went out the window. I think they spent too long noodling about to make songs and it seems like they just churned out hours of stuff and then cut big chunks of the jam sessions shoehorning them into songs along with the lyrics. I do like it though but because of what I said the songs don't feel as obviously melodic and perfectly structured from front to back like on the classic RUSH albums.

Ok I know you think I'm a pansy rocker and I really don't like kissing ass in public but WOW!!! YOU FUKKING NAILED IT PAT!!!!!

As a guy who actually really liked VT when it came out but started to loathe it over the years, I must totally agree with you. I have always been saying about the lack of melody in the musical structure of the songs, yet there is some strange "off" melody." It's a very interesting record. When I compare "Vapor Trails" as to "St. Anger" by Metallica, I just say that shit to get a rise out of people.

You know me Pat. A lot of my outlandish shit I type on here is just to start a sparring conversation. Being born with no filter doesn't help.

It took me about 10 listens before I started to get VT, it all kind of came together in my mind like a broken windscreen in reverse filmed in slow motion.

Again you nailed it. SAME!!! It took me ten listens to like it. But then over the years, I went in reverse and in fast motion I slowly hated the record.

• Like 1

Ginger can Power my Windows any day.

Scratch that. Not today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqiHPaL5yls

DUDE! I've never seen that footage. AWESOME! Gracias!!

Pat who is your favorite player?

Alex?

Blackmore?

Morse?

Guitar player? That's a tough one, maybe too tough. I don't think I could pick one guy. I'd like to say Holdsworth but his music is so out there even shapeless alien shredders would find his harmonies baffling.

I can only say that in the current hard rock/metal/fusion scene the big guys for me are, in no particular order

Buckethead

Bumblefoot

Guthrie Govan

Andy Timmons

Michael Romeo

Joel Hoekstra

Doug Aldrich

Greg Howe

These aren't my all time favourites exactly just the cutting edge of what's popping right now in my mind, even though all these guys have been around for quite a while. There's so many I like I'd end up with a list of 200 instead of just one player.

• Like 1

My local record store that I keep in business (lol) has GHOST in the stoner rock section.

I told them to move GHOST into the METAL section.

They won't do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B_3q32dqXw

You are 2 for 2 tonight. Never saw that Alex interview. Sweet.

Well when you mentioned Power Windows I thought of it.

• Like 1

VAPOR ANUS

Vapor Trails rocks Earl!

Again you nailed it. SAME!!! It took me ten listens to like it. But then over the years, I went in reverse and in fast motion I slowly hated the record.

I actually prefer the original "bad" version to the remixed edition. The remix took the balls and guts of the album away.

• Like 2

Scratch that. Not today.

Alex?

Blackmore?

Morse?

Guitar player? That's a tough one, maybe too tough. I don't think I could pick one guy. I'd like to say Holdsworth but his music is so out there even shapeless alien shredders would find his harmonies baffling.

I can only say that in the current hard rock/metal/fusion scene the big guys for me are, in no particular order

Buckethead

Bumblefoot

Guthrie Govan

Andy Timmons

Michael Romeo

Joel Hoekstra

Doug Aldrich

Greg Howe

These aren't my all time favourites exactly just the cutting edge of what's popping right now in my mind, even though all these guys have been around for quite a while. There's so many I like I'd end up with a list of 200 instead of just one player.

You have always been a Holdsworth guy.

We have both loved Buckethead Forever.

I still have my IN SEARCH OF THE Buckethead cds set. The set where he does art on each cover. Epic.

I actually liked "Chinese Democracy." Glad I am fuckking strange too.

"To live life in boredom is not to live life."

Hey I just thought of that quote. Is it taken already? lol

• Like 1

Scratch that. Not today.

Alex?

Blackmore?

Morse?

Buckethead

Bumblefoot

Guthrie Govan

Andy Timmons

Michael Romeo

Joel Hoekstra

Doug Aldrich

Greg Howe

You have always been a Holdsworth guy.

We have both loved Buckethead Forever.

I still have my IN SEARCH OF THE Buckethead cds set. The set where he does art on each cover. Epic.

I actually liked "Chinese Democracy." Glad I am fuckking strange too.

"To live life in boredom is not to live life."

Hey I just thought of that quote. Is it taken already? lol

I like that GnR album too, but then I'm not really a fan of the rest of their albums.

I have In Search of The too. I have a whole box full of Buckethead cds but since he started the pike series there's just too many albums to buy. I'd have to empty my piggy bank to grab all those albums and most of them are only digital. I've lost track of him lately.

Now I'm curious.. Is there anywhere I can hear the original, because it seems all the Music sites/apps have the remixed version

This is yet another example of why I still buy cds. I still have my original Japanese cd pressing of "Vapor Trails."

"Skyscraper" is great Pat.

"Perfect Timing"

I like it it just lacks a little bit of bass depth in the production.

True, and that makes no sense with Billy on bass.

It's because Dave didn't bring Ted Templeman back to produce it and just did it himself with Steve Vai.

• Like 1

Now I'm curious.. Is there anywhere I can hear the original, because it seems all the Music sites/apps have the remixed version

You can buy both versions on CD, I'm not sure about digital versions.

I'll check amazon see what I get on the original Vapor Trails:

(You purchased this item on 18 Apr 2002.

View this order)

Was it April?? Thought it was May? I must have pre-ordered.

Yeah it looks like they've got it here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vapor-Trails-Rush/dp/B07VVR4V1H/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=rush+vapor+trails&qid=1583711039&sr=8-3

"Perfect Timing"

It's because Dave didn't bring Ted Templeman back to produce it and just did it himself with Steve Vai.

Excellent knowledge. I didn't know that Dave and Steve produced it. Yes, they should have brought Ted in.

• Like 1

This is yet another example of why I still buy cds. I still have my original Japanese cd pressing of "Vapor Trails."

I also have my own CD collection. 40 to be exact (42 if you include the 2nd disc of Rush: Chronicles and Come Sail Away: The Styx Anthology), but only 4 (technically 5) are Rush. I may just have to get Vapor Trails for this reason- it's definitely not in my Rush top 10 albums. I still quite enjoy it though.

• Like 1

I also have my own CD collection. 40 to be exact (42 if you include the 2nd disc of Rush: Chronicles and Come Sail Away: The Styx Anthology), but only 4 (technically 5) are Rush. I may just have to get Vapor Trails for this reason- it's definitely not in my Rush top 10 albums. I still quite enjoy it though.

Nice!

"Perfect Timing"

Excellent knowledge. I didn't know that Dave and Steve produced it. Yes, they should have brought Ted in.

Steve obviously concentrated too much on the guitars. Maybe he wanted to steal a march on Billy so he didn't get outshone, and Sheehan left the band soon after to form Mr Big with Paul Gilbert.

• Like 1

Good thing my ass is like kevlar.

Every time I have to take a poop I use both versions of "Vapor Trails" on cd as toilet paper.

I find many "Vapor Trails" cds at my local record store in the 99 cent bin.

Cheaper than toilet paper.

Well, now that there’s a worldwide tp shortage...

VAPOR ANUS

Vapor Trails rocks Earl!

In my case, the moment I heard it, I liked it.

• Like 2

VAPOR ANUS

Vapor Trails rocks Earl!

In my case, the moment I heard it, I liked it.

:pussy:

the quintessential version is the Andy Vandette remaster. very hard to find but sounds great.

ANDY VANDETTE COMMENTS ON MIX OF LATEST "VAPOR TRAILS" DIGITAL RELEASE

On May 14th iTunes released two new digital only Rush collections, Rush The Complete Mercury Years, the complete Rush album collection from 1974-1987, as well as Rush: The Studio Albums 1989-2007. The collections are also available on HDTracks.

Upon hearing of the new digital release of Vapor Trails, and reading some of the reviews, I contacted Andy VanDette to ask the big question: is this the long awaited Vapor Trails remaster of the original master tapes, or just a remix?:

These are the original mixes, but with a much different treatment. For what it is worth........A typical album takes me about 8 hours to master. I spent 4 days on VT, trying to find a way to emphasize the positive, and downplay the negative, with a "car test" every morning on my way in to the studio. I knew this album in particular would receive tremendous scrutiny. Being a musician, growing up on the other side of Niagara Falls from the band, Rush had a huge influence on me. I hope I have done their catalog justice.

Check it out. I hope you will agree that VT sounds much less 'overblown'. I tried to design it to be more open and dynamic.

I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Andy VanDette

Chief Mastering Engineer

Masterdisk NYC

still true a year later :)

• Like 1