Vapor Trails vs Vapor Trails Remixed - 17 years later.

treeduck

Vapor Trails which version do you prefer now  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which edition of Vapor Trails do you prefer now?

• Vapor Trails - the 2002 Original
    • Vapor Trails Remixed (2013)
    • I don't like the original and the remixed version did nothing to improve it

I realize I'm reviving an old thread here, but I've been curious about people's opinions on this one for awhile.

Personally, I love the original, and I don't care for the remix. Both have their flaws though. I guess what I would have liked is a bit of a remaster of the original rather than a complete remix. On the original the guitar sounds in particular can get pretty grating, and maybe it's over-compressed, but it does have the rock power, which seems lacking in the remix. Composition-wise, I think it's one of their best ever, coming out from Neil's disasters. There's so much emotion there, like the original defiant shout of 2112. Sometimes I think the best Rush albums were made when the band was working in the most trying situations. In Vapor Tails they were trying to figure out if they could still be a band at all, or what being a band in 2002 even meant. To me, it was more than a little victory.

• Like 5

Original mix, LP version!

So much better than the CD. It should have an official anti-headache approval sticker on the front. :hail:

Luckily I've never had a headache in my life, no matter what I listen to or how much I drink!

You're "My Favorite Headache" Pat! LOL!!!

I recently tried to get back in this record after Neil passed. I still can't get through any version without turning it off.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

So much better than the CD. It should have an official anti-headache approval sticker on the front. :hail:

Luckily I've never had a headache in my life, no matter what I listen to or how much I drink!

I recently tried to get back in this record after Neil passed. I still can't get through any version without turning it off.

I'm still waiting for my first headache Earl. Guess what? It's never gonna come! My head is a bulletproof zone!

• Like 2

I'm still waiting for my first headache Earl. Guess what? It's never gonna come! My head is a bulletproof zone!

You have the perfect skull for BLACK METAL!

• Like 1

And death metal!

And death metal!

But of course!

And THRASH

And death metal!

But of course!

And THRASH

And DOOM!

VAPOR ANUS

Vapor Trails rocks Earl!

Musically speaking I agree. Geddy's voice and the back vocal tracking drives me nuts. JMO

For example: that yodeling on "One Little Victory" is just horrible. Song is great. Neil kills it on the drums.

• Like 1

And death metal!

But of course!

And THRASH

And DOOM!

And STONER ROCK

And death metal!

But of course!

And THRASH

And DOOM!

And STONER ROCK

Not so keen on that, it all sounds like Bad Sabbath clonage. They take the very basic elements of Sabbath with none of the tension, dynamics or magic of the original 70's Sabbath sound. And of course they have weak songs and riffs because the stoner guitarists are light years behind Iommi. Stoner rock is like a fake Sabbath painting that doesn't even look right.

• Like 1

And death metal!

But of course!

And THRASH

And DOOM!

And STONER ROCK

Not so keen on that, it all sounds like Bad Sabbath clonage. They take the very basic elements of Sabbath with none of the tension, dynamics or magic of the original 70's Sabbath sound. And of course they have weak songs and riffs because the stoner guitarists are light years behind Iommi. Stoner rock is like a fake Sabbath painting that doesn't even look right.

Very true. Finding quality stoner rock bands is like finding a quality single woman. You have to go through the weeds fo find the green green grass.

It's hard dude especially for me at 52. But I had love once luckily. Two great girls out of it. No regrets.

My next wife will either be Music or a sex robot that will look like Ginger Lynn in 1985.

• Like 1

VAPOR ANUS

Vapor Trails rocks Earl!

Musically speaking I agree. Geddy's voice and the back vocal tracking drives me nuts. JMO

For example: that yodeling on "One Little Victory" is just horrible. Song is great. Neil kills it on the drums.

I think they got too much into the idea of endless jamming to find new songs. The sitting around composing idea went out the window. I think they spent too long noodling about to make songs and it seems like they just churned out hours of stuff and then cut big chunks of the jam sessions shoehorning them into songs along with the lyrics. I do like it though but because of what I said the songs don't feel as obviously melodic and perfectly structured from front to back like on the classic RUSH albums.

• Like 1

And death metal!

But of course!

And THRASH

And DOOM!

And STONER ROCK

Very true. Finding quality stoner rock bands is like finding a quality single woman. You have to go through the weeds fo find the green green grass.

It's hard dude especially for me at 52. But I had love once luckily. Two great girls out of it. No regrets.

My next wife will either be Music or a sex robot that will look like Ginger Lynn in 1985.

For me I just stick to Sabbath mostly for that style, why bother with anything else. Bands like The Sword did some of that style on their earlier albums but it wasn't just Sabbath ripoff music there was much more to it.

VAPOR ANUS

Vapor Trails rocks Earl!

I think they got too much into the idea of endless jamming to find new songs. The sitting around composing idea went out the window. I think they spent too long noodling about to make songs and it seems like they just churned out hours of stuff and then cut big chunks of the jam sessions shoehorning them into songs along with the lyrics. I do like it though but because of what I said the songs don't feel as obviously melodic and perfectly structured from front to back like on the classic RUSH albums.

Ok I know you think I'm a pansy rocker and I really don't like kissing ass in public but WOW!!! YOU FUKKING NAILED IT PAT!!!!!

As a guy who actually really liked VT when it came out but started to loathe it over the years, I must totally agree with you. I have always been saying about the lack of melody in the musical structure of the songs, yet there is some strange "off" melody." It's a very interesting record. When I compare "Vapor Trails" as to "St. Anger" by Metallica, I just say that shit to get a rise out of people.

You know me Pat. A lot of my outlandish shit I type on here is just to start a sparring conversation. Being born with no filter doesn't help.

There are some great moments on "VT." "Secret Touch" for instance. Great song.

• Like 1

And death metal!

But of course!

And THRASH

And DOOM!

And STONER ROCK

For me I just stick to Sabbath mostly for that style, why bother with anything else. Bands like The Sword did some of that style on their earlier albums but it wasn't just Sabbath ripoff music there was much more to it.

Yes! I love The Sword.

What about bands like SLEEP? ELECTRIC WIZARD? ORANGE GOBLIN?

I dig them.

• Like 1