Revisiting Every Rush Album In Order: A Farewell To Kings (1977)

Segue Myles

I have always considered AFTK and Hem to be a split double album and not only because of those connecting tracks.I find them to be very English sounding albums,ahem,well they were recorded there.There's a feel of Yes,Tull,Zep along with the heavy Brit riffing.A very organic sound as opposed to the shiny sheen of Kansas or Styx.I must admit that the title track took me a little time to really warm to.Lovely intro and really great versus musically but i always felt that the chorus was a bit weak and stilted.Xanadu ,brilliant,no more to be said.Closer to the Heart,a pleasant catchy short tune.I can imagine Tull doing this with Ian Andersons rasp (and flute)replacing Lee's high shrill.Could easily fit on Songs From the Wood or Heavy Horses as could the lovely Madrigal.Always liked Cinderella Man,Ged's bass is a gas,and i love how the chorus slows and mellows.At first i thought Cygnus seemed out of place both musically and lyrically,After the pastoral ramblings of dragons and kings,philosphers and ploughmen,suddenly we are jetting off on the Rocinante into a black hole with some of Alex's heaviest riffing yet along with Ged's maniacal screeching.But it is a great tie in to the next album and it ends withTHAT chord.

This album is very special to me.

I discovered Rush in 1976 when a friend turned me onto 2112. I was hooked immediately and quickly proceeded to devour the first 3 albums and ATWAS. I waited a year in anticipation for a new release from this band I was becoming obsessed with. On the day of it's release, my buddy and I rode our bikes to Licorice Pizza and found a beautiful brand new copy of AFTK in the record bin. I was immediately struck by the very cool cover art. We quickly rode in excitement clearly not knowing what to expect. After we dropped the needle, I remember both of us looking at each other a little puzzled while the title track played. This was not 2112 part two. By the time we got to the end of Xanadu we were freaking out. We continued to play the record 4 consecutive times and became more giddy with each listen. And the fact the album ended with "to be continued..." blew our minds. What capped off the experience was seeing Rush for the first time 8th row center on Oct 1 1977. I think I paid $10.00 for my ticket.

AFTK will always be at the top of my Rush list for these reasons.

• Like 1

If this were my first RUSH album, I probably wouldn't have become a fan. Just doesn't click for me.

Listening to it right now - the title track - and, while I'm glad most on TRF seem to like it, I'm still at a loss as to why. Very eye-rolly to me.

However, Xanadu's intro is one of the best things they've ever done. Glorious. Not crazy about the lyrical content (I am well aware of its origins), or Ged's vocals in the balance of the song.

CTTH is rock and roll poetry. And timeless at that.

Totally agree on this. :yes: Edited by goose

If this were my first RUSH album, I probably wouldn't have become a fan. Just doesn't click for me.

Listening to it right now - the title track - and, while I'm glad most on TRF seem to like it, I'm still at a loss as to why. Very eye-rolly to me.

However, Xanadu's intro is one of the best things they've ever done. Glorious. Not crazy about the lyrical content (I am well aware of its origins), or Ged's vocals in the balance of the song.

Totally agree on this. :yes:

blasphemy

blasphemy

You don't like CTTH?

blasphemy

You don't like CTTH?

I love the whole, well except maybe Madrigal. I was referring to your comment "If this were my first RUSH album, I probably wouldn't have become a fan. Just doesn't click for me"

blasphemy

You don't like CTTH?

I love the whole, well except maybe Madrigal. I was referring to your comment "If this were my first RUSH album, I probably wouldn't have become a fan. Just doesn't click for me"

;)

There aren't many of us who feel this way around TRF.

Just love this album.... It ebbs and flows perfectly for me. There's not a song I don't like, although I have wearied of hearing CTTH. Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 are the standouts, with the title track and Cinderella Man nipping at their heels...
  • Like 1