Revisiting Every Rush Album In Order: Rush (1974)

Segue Myles

The Debut is in my Top 3 Rush albums

I completely agree with you Segue regarding Side 2 .. It is right there with side 2 of Hemispheres for me in terms of "best single side of an album"

I love this debut, and while it is undeniable what Neil brought to the band later on, songs like What You're Doing and In The Mood never sounded better than the John Rutsey/ Geddy foundation pairing ..... Listening to What You're Doing back to back - Debut vs All The World's A Stage - Rutsey plays it better and doesn't drag it down like Neil did ..

I don't care for Peart's live embellishment of the debut tacks. These songs are built around grooves, and the overly-busy fills detracts from that, I think. On later tours, when Neil went to playing Working Man straight, for example, it was an improvement.

Agreed, but the high-hat pattern he plays starting at 7:56 is sublime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix0UnBHIBtQ

• Like 1

I completely agree with you Segue regarding Side 2 .. It is right there with side 2 of Hemispheres for me in terms of "best single side of an album"

I love this debut, and while it is undeniable what Neil brought to the band later on, songs like What You're Doing and In The Mood never sounded better than the John Rutsey/ Geddy foundation pairing ..... Listening to What You're Doing back to back - Debut vs All The World's A Stage - Rutsey plays it better and doesn't drag it down like Neil did ..

I don't care for Peart's live embellishment of the debut tacks. These songs are built around grooves, and the overly-busy fills detracts from that, I think. On later tours, when Neil went to playing Working Man straight, for example, it was an improvement.

Light me up that cigarette!

:smoke:

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Neil crushes Working Man on ATWAS

Mostly he overplays it to the point of almost becoming a parody of itself, but when he remembers that sometimes a song is served best by playing in the pocket, he really nails it.

• Like 3

Mostly he overplays it to the point of almost becoming a parody of itself, but when he remembers that sometimes a song is served best by playing in the pocket, he really nails it.

Maybe I disagree because I owned ATWAS before I heard the debut. I also think Neil's performance on Bytor is better than the studio.

Edited by Rushman14

Maybe I disagree because I owned ATWAS before I heard the debut. I also think Neil's performance on Bytor is better than the studio.

ATWAS' Working Man was the song that hooked me. But I was a budding young drummer back then.
  • Like 1

Maybe I disagree because I owned ATWAS before I heard the debut.

I can see where that would make a huge difference in how you think the song should be played.

Maybe I disagree because I owned ATWAS before I heard the debut.

I can see where that would make a huge difference in how you think the song should be played.

It could. Didn't in my case, ultimately. Like I suggested, I liked the overplayimg a lot when I was a young drummer.

"Had Rush never found Neil, I think it is safe to say they have all the musical chops to at least have had a few great, straightforward rock n roll albums."

Absolutely, I think most people miss this. The debut showed that even without Peart's "profundity" (for better or worse) Geddy and Alex would have produced some excellent music; several albums' worth, at least, I'd guess.