Legal downloads...

plodder

...are they a good thing? Have you downloaded anything from iTunes etc?

I haven't. I like to have the CD in my hands, with all the info, lyrics etc. What happens if your HD goes belly-up?

Yes, it's always good to have the original CD, or at least a CDA back up. But I also have about 3000 tracks ripped to my hard drive (mp3) and a digital line running to my 2400 watt stereo.... cool.gif

QUOTE (plodder @ Oct 1 2005, 05:31 PM)
...are they a good thing? Have you downloaded anything from iTunes etc?

I haven't. I like to have the CD in my hands, with all the info, lyrics etc. What happens if your HD goes belly-up?

That's what my backup hard drive is for. wink.gif

And no I havn't tried any of the paid download services. They want to much control over what I can do with the track. I think if I paid for the track I should be able to play/copy it to whatever I want. wink.gif

I download some free stuff, but only when it's like a free sample track or two. I've never bought MP3's from iTunes, Naptser etc...

I also like to own the albums, lyric books and stuff. I do have most of my collection ripped to the computer though, because it would suck to have to change CD's over and over and over and over...

Personally, I download quite a bit, mainly from e-music, Warchild and iTunes.

e-music impose no restrictions on burning etc, iTunes allow you burn any downloaded track seven times, Warchild allow tracks to be burned four times.

My policy is download new bands, experiments or stuff that sounds good, then burn a data backup immediately.

For bands I'm really into, I still buy the CDs. There's no way for instance I'd download the new Rush album when it comes out, that's got to be a CD on my rack.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 1 2005, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Oct 1 2005, 05:24 PM)
Limewire 1022.gif

apparently limewire's on the hitlist too so use it as much as u can.....as far as viruses and spyware I've heard this a lot but personally never experienced this with limewire...

PSh viruses....

My comp has so many viruses, who cares anymore?

I figured they were going to get shut down months ago, so I stopped updating, maybe when they get knocked out my verison 4.2.8 will keep working....

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Oct 1 2005, 04:56 PM)
PSh viruses....

I figured they were going to get shut down months ago, so I stopped updating, maybe when they get knocked out my verison 4.2.8 will keep working....

They'll never get shut down. What they offer is Not illegal, it's just a program.

EM, you should clean up your computer if you know you have a virus. It's not good for anyone, especially those that you email or share anything with.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Oct 4 2005, 02:59 AM)
PSh viruses....

I figured they were going to get shut down months ago, so I stopped updating, maybe when they get knocked out my verison 4.2.8  will keep working....

They'll never get shut down. What they offer is Not illegal, it's just a program.

EM, you should clean up your computer if you know you have a virus. It's not good for anyone, especially those that you email or share anything with.

I concur yes.gif

I recommend this free antivirus program..it'll clean up your puter pretty good...

http://www.avast.com/

PSh viruses....

I figured they were going to get shut down months ago, so I stopped updating, maybe when they get knocked out my verison 4.2.8  will keep working....

When I said virus.....I meant spyware or adware or wahtever it is.

Programs that run when i don't tell them too....

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Oct 7 2005, 05:53 PM)
PSh viruses....

When I said virus.....I meant spyware or adware or wahtever it is.

Programs that run when i don't tell them too....

Spybot search and destroy and adaware. Both free and they work. I would suggest investing in Norton Internet Security to stop spyware. And Firefox has a popup blocker that will stop that.

The BEST place to go for free downloads is Pure Volume needless to say you dont get too many mainstream bands but there are quite a few and there are massive amounts of up and coming artists and local bands. I dont know how many songs I have downloaded over the past few years only to see them now be more mainstream.

Another Ampcast again this is a small site but they do have more off the beaten path artists and a few mainstream.

Amazon has tons of free music to download. There are mainstream to local acts on it.

If the band is good then I do buy their CD. The websites I posted are almost all up and coming bands or still making their way. They offer up some of their tunes so you can see whether or not you like them. You do not get to download complete albums, rarely does that happen. There is no problem with downloading a couple of songs by an unknown or up and coming band to see whether or not they are good enough to spend your well earned cash on. Pure Volme has thousands and thousands of artists who put up their songs willingly to you as does Ampcast and Amazon. The sites are virus free and well worth checking out.

Also MANY, MANY record companies ( mostly independant labels) offer up the same thing. Epitaph, Burning Heart and such do. Its a great way of promoting artists and reaches a broad spectrum of people that otherwise will never have heard your band.

I for instance would never have heard of The Weakerthans if I hadnt visted Epitaphs website and downloaded a free song. Well worth it!!

Archived