Porcupine Tree - Phase I or Phase II?

greyfriar

see topic title  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Face I or Face II?

• Phase I (1993-2001) - Wilson - Maitland - Edwin - Barbieri
    • Phase II (2002-2010) - Wilson - Harrison - Edwin - Barbieri - (Wes)

Phase 2 easily. Mostly cause the space rock stuff wore quickly. And the phase 2 lineup and the albums they put out. unbeatable to these ears. Although i do REALLY like Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun

Mick

TBH, the space-rock stuff was always a snooze-fest. It never really gets any better than the run of Deadwing/FoaBP/The Incident. That includes all the solo stuff. Probably in the minority here again.

i agree. Phase 1 get's very minimal play time in my house.

Mick

I'm going with phase one and that is probably because I learned about the band already in the nineties. I saw them two times on the Stupid Dream tour and two times on the Lightbulb Sun tour and all those shows were pure magic.

If I listen to PT nowadays it seems always the same... I end up with a marathon that goes up to In Absentia and after that album there's a radical change. Don't know exactly what it is but Deadwing and FOABP are not necessarily faves of mine.

Phase I rules!!!!

We disagree...all good! :hi:

:cheers: Just a (dark) matter of taste. Nothing to argue about. :)

• Like 1

If there was a Phase 1.5 that included Stupid Dream through Deadwing, that would overwhelmingly get my vote.

that would be my fav. Add this now i say.

Mick

NO!

lol

• Like 1

I could've added a phase 0.5 (anything Wilson has done all alone, before 1993 and beyond), when he invented PT by himself. Clever move to set the rumour that those tapes he had, are from an unknown 70's prog band called,

Porcupine Tree.

Edited by greyfriar

Honestly, an ideal voting option would be to separate PT's career in halves.

As greyfriar alluded to above me, Phase 0.5 being the three cassette demos (Tarquin's Seaweed Farm, Love Death Mussolini and The Nostalgia Factory) and On The Sunday Of Life; Phase I being Voyage 34 through Signify (and if you want to consider it Metanoia); Phase 1.5 being Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and Recordings and finally Phase II being In Absentia through The Incident.

In this case, I'd vote Phase 1.5 and II as my favorite eras of PT. :)

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 2

Honestly, an ideal voting option would be to separate PT's career in halves.

As greyfriar alluded to above me, Phase 0.5 being the three cassette demos (Tarquin's Seaweed Farm, Love Death Mussolini and The Nostalgia Factory) and On The Sunday Of Life; Phase I being Voyage 34 through Signify (and if you want to consider it Metanoia); Phase 1.5 being Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and Recordings and finally Phase II being In Absentia through The Incident.

In this case, I'd vote Phase 1.5 and II as my favorite eras of PT. :)

Haha. I love the way you think. :cheers: If the thread continues we're ending up, ranking every year of PT existence.

• Like 1

WOW! These are absolutely amazing shows! Considering how tight PT management has been about fan recordings/bootlegs, this is a great find. Wish I could find a reliable source for soundboard recordings of PT. Live material from them is just so perfect.

• Like 1

WOW! These are absolutely amazing shows! Considering how tight PT management has been about fan recordings/bootlegs, this is a great find. Wish I could find a reliable source for soundboard recordings of PT. Live material from them is just so perfect.

That '95 performance was an authorized video recording by PT's then label at the time Delerium Records. Says so in the Complete SW Discography list that a fan compiled. The NEARFest 2001 footage from what I know was recorded and filmed by the fest and was available online from the fest's (now defunct) site...not a bootleg in the truest sense...but not quite "official" either.

Nevertheless, impressive and awesome to see. :yes:

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

and perfect they really were... sigh!

Try to grab Duchess Of York (Leeds 1996) or even better, Solo By The Smoke Machine from Poland 1997.

This one is great too... enjoy... :AlienSmiley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWP4eiglLlM

How many of you knew this song existed? I asked SW about it 6 years ago during a signing for Grace For Drowning...his exact words to me: "It's terrible. Really terrible. You don't wanna hear it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-5BHGtjwgU

Looks like many people on here will finally hear it as I've had.

Edited by PolarizeMe

How many of you knew this song existed? I asked SW about it 6 years ago during a signing for Grace For Drowning...his exact words to me: "It's terrible. Really terrible. You don't wanna hear it."

Definitely sounds like a Signify/Up the Downstair track. Not terrible to my ears, but can certainly see why Steven may not like it.

Definitely sounds like a Signify/Up the Downstair track. Not terrible to my ears, but can certainly see why Steven may not like it.

This was all I could find from the web about the song...

Cryogenics was performed once in 1995 as a 6 minute song but was never recorded in the studio (

). At one point it was part of the songs Wake As A Gun I & II that ended up on the Insignificance cassette. It would never be touched again until March - June 1997 when SW/the band resurrected it (now as a 3 1/2-4 minute long songshows that became Coma Divine. It was suppose to be on Coma Divine but was left out of the tracklist along with Phase II of Voyage 34 cause in the words of SW, it was "poor" and years later apart from when I asked him about it, said "Honestly, it wasn't good." Several motifs from the song did find their way onto the Metanoia release in the songs Mesmer I and Mesmer III (Coma Divine).