'Spidey 3' villains revealed!

Jack Aubrey

Thanks to Coming Soon:

During an interview this weekend promoting Elizabethtown, Kirsten Dunst confirmed rumors to Zap2it that Thomas Haden Church will play Sandman and Topher Grace is Venom in director Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3, opening in theaters on May 4, 2007.

"We have really great people though as the villains in this film, Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace -- Venom and Sandman," said Dunst, who plays Mary Jane Watson in the Spidey films.

"Maybe I wasn't supposed to say that," she added before reversing her claim. "It's the other way around. You're right," she conceded to a journalist.

Dunst has yet to receive a script for the third film that will begin shooting in January. "But I know the general story. There's a lot that they're trying to fit into this one."

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Sep 27 2005, 09:45 AM)
SWEET!

Venom, I used to be an avid fan of the cartoon.  And I was hoping to see venom in  one of the films..

WHo's sandman?

Sandman is basically a thug...a villain seeking monetary gain only. That's why I think he's probably the secondary enemy. But that's me assuming they're going to keep his character along the same lines as the comics. At the very least, I'm expecting him to look unbelievably cool.

As for Venom, they're really gonna have to change his history for him to work in the movie. Fine by me but I'm sure hardcore fanboys will be crying a bit.

What kind of surprises me is that the character Eddie Brock (think I got that right) who becomes Venom was a big bruiser looking guy. Kind of hard for me to see Topher Grace as that kind of character.

One would also think the story would have the introduction of the alien symbiote in order to introduce Venom. Maybe not.

I figured the story in Spidey 3 would continue the issue of Harry Osborn avenging his father's death as the new Green Goblin.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Sep 28 2005, 05:07 AM)
What kind of surprises me is that the character Eddie Brock (think I got that right) who becomes Venom was a big bruiser looking guy. Kind of hard for me to see Topher Grace as that kind of character.

It doesn't matter. Hugh Jackman playing wolverine is a good example of that. In the comics wolverine was about 5' 2" and was extremely massive. He was short and stocky as all hell. Hugh Jackman is the farthest thing from that.

I think the next spidey movie is going to kick supremem ass. Even if Topher isn't a big brute. biggrin.gif

I'm very curious to see how Topher Grace does in this. Somehow, he just doesn't fit the bill as a villain to me, but he might surprise me. What would be a hoot is to give Red a cameo in a crowd scene or something calling him a dum@$$ laugh.gif

From what i can tell, the movies try to go along the lines of the more modern versions of Marvel lore found in the ULTIMATE signature line. This can be good and this can suck big time. FF was a travesty just because of the way they portrayed Doctor Doom. Doom is not just some corporate bad guy. Doom has a nobility to him that although he is quite hampered by his insanity, leaves you admiring him. The Doom in the movie was just a bad guy. I fear that Venom will become that also. I think that without the alien storyline, he will become just another bad guy to be beaten and not spiderman's GREATEST enemy. I haven't read anything in awhile from the Spidey titles, but i remember that Venom had turned a new leaf anyway. So this should just plain ol' SUCK. I just try to go into these movies with low expectations anyway. They seem to go out of the way to appeal to the masses and ignore the "fanboys" in their portrayal of characters we love and helped make a success. So yeah... we, the fanboys, do cry and we have every reason to do so. I have only been thrilled by one comic related movie in recent memory, and that, of course, is Batman Begins.