The slow secret death of the electric guitar

custom55

I think it's just another case of "You damn kids, get off my lawn" syndrome that is prevalent among the older population, which is totally fine. If you don't want to make the effort to discover new music that might interest you, then the onus is on you, not anybody else. And it's certainly not the onus of the supposed lack of "guitar heroes".

I posted this thread a while back - it touches on what you wrote Oracle

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/102268-music-lovers-who-reject-new-music/page__hl__%2Bmusic+%2Blovers+%2Bmusic

I had a recent conversation with the friend I mentioned in the thread, and all I can say is that the rejection of new music goes deeper than one might first think ..

Again, he brought up the BS of "They don't write songs like that anymore" .. When I asked him what his Top 5 albums of the past year were, he snickered and said that he hasn't bought or listened to anything new in 20 years ... When I asked him "Then how do you know that there is nothing good ?" he was silent ..

I remember that thread. I don't think he had much of a basis for comparison if he hasn't heard it. Music is much less guitar driven now than it was in the 70's-90's. Especially what's popular. All you have to do is turn on any top 40 radio to hear that

I just don't agree with that

Here's the closest thing I could find to "40 years ago today"

The Top 10 songs ending January 8th, 1977

1 2 YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE A STAR (To Be In My Show) –•– Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr. (ABC)-18 (1 week at #1) (1)

2 4 YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE DANCING –•– Leo Sayer (Warner Brothers)-12 (2)

3 1 TONIGHT’S THE NIGHT (Gonna Be Alright) –•– Rod Stewart (Warner Brothers)-15 (1)

4 7 I WISH –•– Stevie Wonder (Tamla)-6 (4)

5 9 CAR WASH –•– Rose Royce (MCA)-12 (5)

6 6 SORRY SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD –•– Elton John (Rocket)-9 (6)

7 8 DAZZ –•– Brick (Bang)-12 (7)

8 3 THE RUBBERBAND MAN –•– The Spinners (Atlantic)-18 (2)

9 10 AFTER THE LOVIN’ –•– Engelbert Humperdinck (Epic)-12 (9)

10 11 STAND TALL –•– Burton Cummings (Portrait)-14 (10)

While a case could be made for these songs being a higher quality product, I just don't see this a more "guitar driven"

• Like 1

This article is so full of shit. Such a shame that journalism has sunken to sensationalism. Oh no, guitar sales over the course of 10 years went from 1.5 million to ONLY 1 million?

I said the same thing to my wife when I read that.

I think it's just another case of "You damn kids, get off my lawn" syndrome that is prevalent among the older population, which is totally fine. If you don't want to make the effort to discover new music that might interest you, then the onus is on you, not anybody else. And it's certainly not the onus of the supposed lack of "guitar heroes".

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/102268-music-lovers-who-reject-new-music/page__hl__%2Bmusic+%2Blovers+%2Bmusic

I had a recent conversation with the friend I mentioned in the thread, and all I can say is that the rejection of new music goes deeper than one might first think ..

Again, he brought up the BS of "They don't write songs like that anymore" .. When I asked him what his Top 5 albums of the past year were, he snickered and said that he hasn't bought or listened to anything new in 20 years ... When I asked him "Then how do you know that there is nothing good ?" he was silent ..

I remember that thread. I don't think he had much of a basis for comparison if he hasn't heard it. Music is much less guitar driven now than it was in the 70's-90's. Especially what's popular. All you have to do is turn on any top 40 radio to hear that

1 2 YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE A STAR (To Be In My Show) –•– Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr. (ABC)-18 (1 week at #1) (1)

3 1 TONIGHT’S THE NIGHT (Gonna Be Alright) –•– Rod Stewart (Warner Brothers)-15 (1)

While a case could be made for these songs being a higher quality product, I just don't see this a more "guitar driven"

I don't see any digital synth on that list which is what guitar has been replaced by for the most part. There just aren't the guitar/bass/drums bands out there touring now and selling their product like there used to be. That's just truth.

I don't see any digital synth on that list which is what guitar has been replaced by for the most part. There just aren't the guitar/bass/drums bands out there touring now and selling their product like there used to be. That's just truth.

That list was from 1977, a half decade before the digital synth became available .. The point was that those songs were not guitar driven, even though we both know that in 1977, there were many many great guitar driven bands ..

What is promoted as popular should not be representative of what is actually happening ..

There is no shortage of love for the electric guitar .. There are thousands of kids on youtube who have obvious dedicated a lot of time and love to learning the instrument ..

Some of my all time favorite electric guitarists are guys who have come out in the past few years .. The music business and how bands make albums and make a living should not be confused with the love and passion people have for the electric guitar, and the way that some of the great bands of today get their music out

Edited by Lucas

There are videos on youtube that kids make that blow my mind - guitar and drums especially ..

I agree that there are many talented young people playing the guitar these days. I've also seen a lot of their videos.

What concerns me, though, are the many young players who are not much more than mimics. They put out a ton of videos in which they show off their covers of classic guitar riffs. I would be more impressed by these young guitarists if they were making original pieces.

Playing a guitar is one thing; being a musician is another.

• Like 3

There are videos on youtube that kids make that blow my mind - guitar and drums especially ..

I agree that there are many talented young people playing the guitar these days. I've also seen a lot of their videos.

What concerns me, though, are the many young players who are not much more than mimics. They put out a ton of videos in which they show off their covers of classic guitar riffs. I would be more impressed by these young guitarists if they were making original pieces.

Absolutely true .. and as a music fan, I hope that at least some of these kids eventually get to that point

But it does take a certain level of dedication and love for the instrument to be able to play like some of the kids I have seen ... The desire and dedication are there ..

Whether that translates in the long run is something we just have to hope for

That list was from 1977, a half decade before the digital synth became available .. The point was that those songs were not guitar driven, even though we both know that in 1977, there were many many great guitar driven bands ..

What is promoted as popular should not be representative of what is actually happening ..

There is no shortage of love for the electric guitar .. There are thousands of kids on youtube who have obvious dedicated a lot of time and love to learning the instrument ..

Some of my all time favorite electric guitarists are guys who have come out in the past few years .. The music business and how bands make albums and make a living should not be confused with the love and passion people have for the electric guitar, and the way that some of the great bands of today get their music out

I guess we will just agree to disagree then. I see it differently.

• Like 1

Well, sometimes it's best not to fix what ain't broke.

• Like 1

Yes this exactly. Lots of mimics out there who have learned playing tabs but can't be creative and original at all.

Yes this exactly. Lots of mimics out there who have learned playing tabs but can't be creative and original at all.

This might be another old man screaming from his porch comment, but I think it's devalued the importance and impact of the ban halens , pages, becks and Hendrix.

Take this YouTube clip as an example.. nothing against this talented young lady, but ..this really sounds nothing like the way Eddie played the original.. her phrasing, swing.. the feel is way off.. she's just rifling through the notes.. but people see this and think that's eddie.. just play as fast as possible with no structure.. and her tone is awful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTm1IzQf-U

Edited by Xanadoood

This might be another old man screaming from his porch comment, but I think it's devalued the importance and impact of the ban halens , pages, becks and Hendrix.

Take this YouTube clip as an example.. nothing against this talented young lady, but ..this really sounds nothing like the way Eddie played the original.. her phrasing, swing.. the feel is way off.. she's just rifling through the notes.. but people see this and think that's eddie.. just play as fast as possible with no structure.. and her tone is awful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTm1IzQf-U

I knew exactly who the video was going to be before I even looked. I also have seen people praising her and saying how talented she is. She's a decent mimic, that's about all you can say.

• Like 1

I believe everything I read on the Internet, so after reading that article I have thrown out all of my guitars, amps, pedals etc.....

On second thoughts f*ck that! I'm gonna keep on playing my Dad rock til I keel over in a hail of gun fire :codger:

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=fDTm1IzQf-U

So because she plays it slightly different than the original, it's automatically bad?

So because she plays it slightly different than the original, it's automatically bad?

I don't see how anyone can complain about that eruption cover, it's pretty damn good. Phrasing is a little off? Lol, I always catch myself doing that when I've been playing a pice over and over trying to perfect it. Later I usually find a couple sections I need to work on. Also, every player started out learning songs by their heroes.

I don't see how anyone can complain about that eruption cover, it's pretty damn good. Phrasing is a little off? Lol, I always catch myself doing that when I've been playing a pice over and over trying to perfect it. Later I usually find a couple sections I need to work on. Also, every player started out learning songs by their heroes.

This is Pete Thorn. He's a well regarded studio player in LA. I know he played with Chris Cornell at one time. 2:00 to 3:00 in this clip.. he explains it better than I can.

Again, this young lady is very talented. But if I was her teacher, I'd tell her to SLOW DOWN.

You see everything in black or white. That's not what he said at all.

This.

This.

Yeah that wasn't what I was implying. I don't think she was putting her own spin on it. And for an iconic piece like eruption, much like Neil's classic drum break in Tom Sawyer, it's best to stick with the original.

From talking to younger players, a lot of them just think someone like Eddie is fast and flash. They miss all the intangibles and idiosyncrasies of his playing.

• Like 1

This is Pete Thorn. He's a well regarded studio player in LA. I know he played with Chris Cornell at one time. 2:00 to 3:00 in this clip.. he explains it better than I can.

Again, this young lady is very talented. But if I was her teacher, I'd tell her to SLOW DOWN.

Key points: he first heard it and started learning it over 20 yeArs before she was born AND he still says he hasn't got it down 100%. Also, 14 year olds usually aren't nuance driven they are usually driven by flash and style and speed.

• Like 1

Key points: he first heard it and started learning it over 20 yeArs before she was born AND he still says he hasn't got it down 100%. Also, 14 year olds usually aren't nuance driven they are usually driven by flash and style and speed.

Those are good points. I guess I just see so much of this.. these videos where players are just playing as fast as possible, and that passes as Eddie Van Halen. It feels devalued to me..eddies legacy. And not just him.. all the legends.. Hendrix, page etc.

• Like 1