A Conversation About Road Rage...

Tick

I've never understood road rage at all...don't get me wrong, I'm appalled at the often moronic behaviour of some motorists I'm forced to share the roads with, but the way I see it, the only persons reactions I can control are mine...that's why I give others a wide berth and drive defensively (not hesitantly), and never react to others stupidity, no matter how annoying I find it.

The rage comes from the selfish need to control everything and everybody, and especially from the inability to make everyone comply.

If I get into my car with the expectation that every other motorist will drive just as well as I drive, then I'm just setting myself up for road rage. My rage is my own creation. :rage:

This post is pure bullshit. Road rage can come from watching reckless assholes putting innocent people in very real danger by driving dangerously. When someone is doing 90 and weaving in and out of lanes at the smallest of margins that are putting my life in jeopardy and that pisses me the f**k off.

Selfish need to control everything? That's how you see it eh? And people actually like this post as if it makes sense? No, I'm sorry but complete and utter crap.

:facepalm:

You see it as bullshit because it puts the blame of your rage on yourself. It's never YOUR fault, is it?? It's always someone else's fault......

No...

I see it as bullshit because its bullshit.

Face palm all you want but your post was and is pure bullshit.

Did I say bullshit enough yet?

Nah....

Bullshit!

Also, I never said I justify every time someone pisses me off while driving but plenty of times I'm justified in my anger. When someone puts my family in danger I have a right to be pissed.

Or people can just be passive pussies... your choice right?

I know you don't see it but this approach to driving as a battle between warring factions is why you have the rage. It's you, not them.

• Like 1

I've never understood road rage at all...don't get me wrong, I'm appalled at the often moronic behaviour of some motorists I'm forced to share the roads with, but the way I see it, the only persons reactions I can control are mine...that's why I give others a wide berth and drive defensively (not hesitantly), and never react to others stupidity, no matter how annoying I find it.

The rage comes from the selfish need to control everything and everybody, and especially from the inability to make everyone comply.

If I get into my car with the expectation that every other motorist will drive just as well as I drive, then I'm just setting myself up for road rage. My rage is my own creation. :rage:

This post is pure bullshit. Road rage can come from watching reckless assholes putting innocent people in very real danger by driving dangerously. When someone is doing 90 and weaving in and out of lanes at the smallest of margins that are putting my life in jeopardy and that pisses me the f**k off.

Selfish need to control everything? That's how you see it eh? And people actually like this post as if it makes sense? No, I'm sorry but complete and utter crap.

:facepalm:

You see it as bullshit because it puts the blame of your rage on yourself. It's never YOUR fault, is it?? It's always someone else's fault......

No...

I see it as bullshit because its bullshit.

Face palm all you want but your post was and is pure bullshit.

Did I say bullshit enough yet?

Nah....

Bullshit!

Also, I never said I justify every time someone pisses me off while driving but plenty of times I'm justified in my anger. When someone puts my family in danger I have a right to be pissed.

Or people can just be passive pussies... your choice right?

I know you don't see it but this approach to driving as a battle between warring factions is why you have the rage. It's you, not them.

Oh snap, now we have thread rage. :rage:

Great post Fridge

And JB made a great point with getting the plate number and a description of the careless driver's vehicle ( if that is possible only in a safe manner ) ...

By losing control of your emotions and not focusing on your own driving, you become no different than the offending driver .. If you just concentrate on the road ahead and your own driving, 9 times out of 10 you'll have forgotten about it by the next turn in the road or off-ramp ..

There is also the option of becoming a cop ... and I don't mean this sarcastically ... If public safety is a major concern, then who better to patrol the roads than someone who gets upset this type of thing

First off, I couldn't care less about being judged about being angry at people who threaten my existence. Its my makeup and it's who I am.

"The rage comes from the selfish need to control everything and everybody, and especially from the inability to make everyone comply."

THIS is the line of complete bullshit that is just flat out stupid to me. That is just not accurate and I don't agree with it at all.

Now its true that keeping your composure is a better course than losing your shit but "a selfish need to control everything and everybody"

Really? That I can't get behind.

Now I don't think any of you are pussies. That's me being me. But the line I quoted I just find ridiculous and that's about it.

So have a nice day.

First off, I couldn't care less about being judged about being angry at people who threaten my existence. Its my makeup and it's who I am.

"The rage comes from the selfish need to control everything and everybody, and especially from the inability to make everyone comply."

THIS is the line of complete bullshit that is just flat out stupid to me. That is just not accurate and I don't agree with it at all.

Now its true that keeping your composure is a better course than losing your shit but "a selfish need to control everything and everybody"

Really? That I can't get behind.

Now I don't think any of you are pussies. That's me being me. But the line I quoted I just find ridiculous and that's about it.

So have a nice day.

For what it's worth, I just came across this on a website dedicated to psychology and health:

Controlling Your Response to Stress

When you’re under mental and emotional stress, a sequence of events occurs that determines how your body will respond physiologically:

1.First, you perceive the event.

2.Second, you respond to that event either positively or negatively.

3.Third, your thoughts and emotions internalize the event either positively or negatively.

This last step, internalization, is where problems can occur. If you respond negatively to an event, you’ll likely internalize the experience negatively. Ultimately, this negative internalization—that is, holding on to the negative feelings generated by the stressful event—puts stressful demands on your nervous and endocrine systems.

Imagine that you’re driving on the freeway and are suddenly forced onto the shoulder by a car that swerves into your lane. You barely miss being in a major accident. Typically, you have one of two responses:

- You may feel anger toward the driver who put your life in danger, internalizing the event and remaining upset for hours.

- You may feel relief that you avoided the accident and that no one was injured. You may believe that the other driver either didn’t see your car or was forced to turn to avoid another driver or an obstacle. Instead of negatively internalizing this event, you address it positively and carry on with your day.

It’s clear which response might have a negative effect on your health. Remaining angry doesn’t harm anyone except you—and perhaps those you unleash your negativity upon throughout the day. Internalizing the negative perception of an event is a major source of Chronic Stress on mind and body.

Edited by Lucas

I'm guilty of overreacting in driving situations. I don't let it stay with me though. But in the moment it's not good. But I also have a sense of whether the driver made a mistake or is intentionally driving reckless. The driver weaving in and out of lanes at high speed entering lanes at the slimmest of margins is the driver I want to see flipped over a guard rail up ahead. That may be a horrible thing to say but I always think kill yourself before you take some innocent driver with you. I think about my daughter being 16 and her friends all being young inexperienced drivers and the fear of one of them being killed by some moron.

As I said before, I don't think anyone with self control is a pussy. I just think someone analyzing my anger as a need to control everything is just silly. That is the farthest theory from the truth. I drive with respect for other drivers and I hate drivers who don't care who they endanger. That is where the anger stems from.

I don't want to control anything, I want to get where I'm going safely, plain and simple.

I know my anger isn't good in those moments but I'm honest about it. If I lose my cool behind the wheel then I'm exactly the thing that I hate. So although I have mellowed with age in how I react to certain issues, in that area I have not accomplished that discipline yet.

I used to have road rage in my younger years but nothing bothers me on the road these days because I realized that most times it's a sign of someone who is insecure in their driving ability.

If someone accidentally steps in front of you on the sidewalk you hear "oh I'm sorry", "no that's ok, my fault". But if essentially the same thing happens between two cars it's "f**k you asshole! Learn how to drive prick!!".. why? Makes no sense. It's usually just insecure people that can't handle a simple situation.