How do I learn to play real music on guitar the fastest/easiest way?

YYZumbi

Don't start off trying to play Rush tunes either (would be like your first time snow skiing and trying the black diamond hill). That's what I did when I started and I got discouraged very fast. Learn some easy tunes to build up confidence.

Learn the Am-chord and the G-chord and try to switch fluent. Within a few days you should be able to play a (poor) version of Lady In Black by Uriah Heep. Edited by greyfriar

There's trade-offs with both going to a teacher or doing it yourself. I started when I was around 7. Since then most of my time is spent playing guitar. I went at my own pace and learned everything my own way, and doing it yourself definitely helps you create your own stle of playing that's unique to you. The downside is I don't know a lot of "fancy" chords, basically those really complex ones that take all of your fingers and they're just weird.

With a teacher, you may learn those chords, but you'll be learning their style. You're essentially copying the teacher. You'll learn more and probably faster with a teacher, but you won't get that style thing I keep talking about. Then again, for some people, that doesn't matter one bit. It really depends on what you want.

• Like 1

I took bass lessons from the age 9 till 11, from there I locked myself in my room wearing the grooves off RUSH albums for another 5 years. Time takes time. Edited by Stugotz

Fook them teachers! None of my guitar heroes ever had one. Autodidactic rules! I'm the living proof. :hail:

Zumbi, give yourself a few weeks time, learn to think that it's only PLAYING, invented just to have some fun. Create your own style, find your own comfortable technique and make sure that you get a feedback from your friends and neighbours. :LOL:

Zumbi, even you can become a guitar god in just a few easy steps;

Step 1. Procure guitar (check)

Step 2. Take some lessons of some sort. Either on line or in person. Whatever works for you.

Step 3. Practice for hours on end from now until the end of time because you will never feel you're good enough.

Step 4. Procure another guitar.

Step 5. Procure an(other) amp

Step 6. Procure some effects.

Step 7. Repeat steps 4, 5, and 6 over and over until the end of time because you feel what you currently have is not good enough to get the tones you want. Of course, you won't sell anything because you may need it to get the tones you'll want in the future.

Step 8. Repeat step 3...again.

Step 9. Repeat step 7...again.

Step 10. Repeat step 3...again

Step 11. Repeat step 7...again

Step 12. Repeat step 3...again

Step 13. Repeat step 7...again

Step 14. Repeat step 3...well...you get the idea.

And for you Zumbi, since you only listen to records, you will have to learn how to cue and re-cue the same spots on the LP you're learning a song from. I remember having to do that when I first started too. I thought it was so cool when CDs' came out and made that process SOOOO much easier!

Now that MS has taken control of my body, I can't play anymore. I really miss it. Playing guitar can be a great friend and your worst enemy, all in the same day. Hell...all in the the same hour. Hell...all in the same 5 minute song!

Good luck friend.

Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 4

Learn bar (or Barre) chords. Easy.

Learn a pentatonic minor scale (5 notes). Easy.

Move this sh!t around.

You can now play many, many things.

It's also important to train your ear, not just your fingers. Once you have the basics, try to play along with some old blues. Blues is the foundation of basic rock music. Go there and learn.

And get yourself a teacher as a reward for getting a job.

Oh yeah: be patient. It's worth it.

This is a good starting point, barre chords power chords basic chords.. If it still tickles your fancy, move on to learn from a teacher, maybe.

I have never had a formal teacher, still learning. I'm currently ooking at Procal harums chords. Really interesting as its classical played on the piano, over to guitar - not a standard rock structure.

The quest is never ending, it won't be something you own, if you know what I mean.Enjoy it for what it is.

Edited by condemned2bfree

I am getting more and more jealous on all the great guitar players out there. It seems to be such a nice feeling to play guitar. So now Im wondering how do I learn to play real music on guitar the fastest/easiest way with no teacher?

Practice every available minute. There's no magic formula and no shortcuts. If you want to learn to play, you have to put in the work. Expect a fair amount of discomfort until you build up calluses. Don't let the pain of that process beat you.

Pick an easy song -- I'm talking "Puff The Magic Dragon" sort of easy -- and work at it until you can literally play it with your eyes closed.

I remember casually playing for a year or so, and trying to learn just some parts of 2112. I just couldn't move fast enough or wrap my head around how things should be fingered to move from one riff to another. I revisited 10 years later and could play about half the song. Like everyone says, it is slow and painful to reach a position of actually being good. The youtube videos are helpful and can give you some lessons/tips. I'd print a few easy tabs of songs you like (nirvana/greenday) even if you only learn pieces of songs it builds confidence. Same with some songs that are just 2 or 3 basic chords (C, Am, G, D). I remember laying in bed about 10 minutes each time I played, so I couldn't see the fretboard, and just trying to build muscle memory to change chords better and learn new ones.