My Jaguar

Steve Smith

Well If I may say

My car is red and it is a sports car so I would say that it is relevant to my favourite Rush song "Red Barchetta"

So if you wish to split hairs then I would say it is relevant to the thread

Sorry to quote this but you brought it up

Thanks

Steve

I love Alfa Romeo but they break down a lot ha ha

Do they? One hears that a lot, especially (or exclusively?) from people who don't actually drive Alfas, yet I've owned nine over my life, incl the two I've now, and I've never broken down once (well, once, but it was my fault having installed a component key to the ignition system wrong). Have probably put over 200K miles on them combined. Going way back to when I was young and brave/careless/carefree, an '83 Spider was my only transportation (my first car that wasn't a hand-me-down). I drove it back and forth across the country late '80s/early '90s and it never failed me. Those were the days, driving through the desert in the middle of the night in a 100k+ mile Alfa with no AC and luggage strapped to the trunk lid. Wouldn't try that again but I did drive a '95 164Q halfway across the country, and a '91 Spider from Wisconsin to Maryland, within the last few years. Again, no problems :). Myself, I think the Alfa reliability thing is an urban myth that people enjoy repeating.

Edited by Rutlefan

Here's a great clip where both Clarkson and May name an Alfa as the car they most regret selling. They each get in the obligatory reliability joke (just par for the course), but it's a cool discussion. The GTV6 is also the car I miss the most, but the wife decreed that I wasn't allowed to take our young boys in that "death trap" so I let it go (the '76 is being sold too; I get to keep the '87 sedan; it's sort of safe enough I guess). Man I miss it though. I had a 164 too but it was the 24V version, which I don't think sounds as sweet as the 12V version May had. Anyway, not many new cars appeal to me but to appease the wife got the Mustang and I have to say I'm impressed. I've a long history with Ford though. Along with Alfa it's always been my favorite maker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25oiw2l-wkE

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 3

The tough love for Alfa Romeo continues.

http://youtu.be/NITkoDTialE

LOL, I had seen that. He had to find something of course. I haven't heard anyone else complain about it, but that b-pillar position does look odd in light of the seat position. But he's a tall guy; at 5-8 I don't think I'd have the same problem. No matter, IF I get a (slightly used) new Alfa one of these days, it will be either the coupe or vert version of this car. But, that's only happening if one of those comes with a manual trans option (the sedan doesn't, not for N. American anyway). Even then not sure I'd give up the Mustang's naturally-aspirated engine for a turbo'd one. I don't trust the costs to maintain the bi-turbo 6s (the 335 engine is a maintenance mess, for example, and a Ferrari-derived bi-turbo 6?... what could possibly go wrong??), and turbo 4s don't really stir me, no matter how much power they manage to eek out of that poor little engine block. So, unless the one of the 2-door versions comes with a manual option and (please please please) a non-turbo version of that Ferrari-derived 6, I doubt I'll get one. I'll keep driving my trusty old Milano with its 5-spd and incredible baby Ferrari Busso V6. Cheapest exotic sound there is (same engine as the GTV6 which Clarkson misses so much).

p.s. read somewhere that Clarkson bought one; one of the first sold in the U.K.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

What you have to understand about Clarkson is that he not the "ignorant ape" that he portrays.

He is actually a very intelligent cultured guy who can cook and sew. That is just his on screen persona

In the same way that Richard Hammond is not a "thick Pikey" and James May is not a gay who is stuck in the 1950's

It is just their on screen persona.

I saw Richard Hammond a few years ago on one of the "comedy panel" shows. I think it was maybe "They think it's all Over"

The resident "comedians" threw everything that they had to take piss at him and Hammond came back straight away with a more witty retort.

Very sharp guy

• Like 1

Personaly I am not a fan of Turbos. They work well in diesels but I was lucky enough to have a drive of my mate's 996 911 Twin turbo.

That does not really solve the problem. You still get a huge lag and then this burst of power at 4000 revs.

Turbos belong in the back roads of the Rally Championship when these guys are nailing the revs all of the time.

Just my opinion

• Like 1

Thank you so much my Friend

Mustangs are a thing of beauty

My neighbour has a Shelby

It is so lovely

Looks and sounds fabulous.

But so twitchy with the rear end if you turn the wheel

Please. Use. The. Quote. Button.

• Like 3

I do!!!!!!!

No you aren't. You're making random comments like you're talking to someone but you're not saying who it is. We can't tell unless you quote the person's comment.

Like I just did.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Again, like your car Steve, but then I'm cool with anyone who's into their car, even it's some old budget Kia. "Red Barchetta" is my favorite Rush tune as well, and "I'm in Love with My Car" my favorite Queen tune. Doesn't hurt that I love Roger's voice of course.
  • Like 1

I do!!!!!!!

No you aren't. You're making random comments like you're talking to someone but you're not saying who it is. We can't tell unless you quote the person's comment.

Like I just did.

Ok I use the quote button but I delete the comments above, my mistake sorry

• Like 1