New Wire

Rutlefan

Yeah, this one sounds a lot like the Wire/Nocturnal Korean stuff (part. Joust and Jostle), though the album synopsis did describe this track as the pop-y one so I'll hold out hope the new album sounds a little more varied than I thought the last was ("Wire" at least; I thought Nocturnal Koreans had more interesting stuff). Edited by Rutlefan

Yeah, this one sounds a lot like the Wire/Nocturnal Korean stuff (part. Joust and Jostle), though the album synopsis did describe this track as the pop-y one so I'll hold out hope the new album sounds a little more varied than I thought the last was ("Wire" at least; I thought Nocturnal Koreans had more interesting stuff).

All their stuff requires repeated listens. And it almost always pays off with rewards. They know how to layer a song.

Hopefully, Graham Lewis will sing a song or two on the new album. His lyrics have been really good recently, but I do miss his singing. It's a nice contrast to Colin Newman.

I love Wire.

• Like 1

Really like this.....the way they have kept a raw sound to the individual guitars, yet blended and overlayed them in a very produced way is impressive.

Yeah, as Re-Rushed predicted, it's growing on me. What seemed a little simple and straightforward to me at first has become a pretty interesting track. Definitely helps hearing it on decent speakers rather than my computer at work.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

^ 2013's Change Becomes Us would be a great place to start as it looks back -- it resurrects half-finished tracks from when they drifted apart in 1980 before coming back together in '86 -- but also has the sound and production of what they are doing now.

If you like that I would check out there first three "classic" '77-'79 releases: Pink Flag, Chairs Missing, and 154. You can't go wrong with any of it apart from the '89-'91 releases which found them out of gas and seemingly disinterested . Led to a twelve-year hiatus that ended with 2001's Send. Since then they've been rolling.

^ I looove Colin Newman's solo stuff. My Singing Fish/Not To CD was as essential to me back in the day as anything else I owned.

This is a good example of how his voice and sense of melody can carry a song without much help at all.

For the several here who enjoy Wire - they did it again. Silver/Lead is very good. Hooks, melodies galore. Nothing groundbreaking, but still challenging, albeit comfortable. And Graham Lewis sings lead on several tracks. Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1