British Accents

Lorraine

That's a good word - distinguished - and she's right about the Birmingham accent. I forgot Ozzie is from there too.

How do you spell mucka?

Mucka think that's correct being slang anything goes :), suppose. What an american equivalent? Bud, or dude? Its interesting because so many American words are familiar over in the U.K., due to movies I guess.

• Like 1

Oh and Just because some person is from a certain region or city doesn't mean they're going to sound exactly like everyone else from there, there's variations. Everyone develops differently depending on their experiences and how they react to them and what path they follow. It's kind of common sense really and it's the same anywhere.

• Like 1

A couple points. If treeduck can identify where most Americans are from based on their accent he's doing better than me. I can't tell Alabama from Georgia from Carolina but I can tell its "southern." The only ones that are very obvious to me is Boston area and Maine area. Connectivity is going to slowly eliminate these I think.

A few years back my wife and I went to the Rose and crown at Epcot and our waitress was from Scotland. I had to translate everything the waitress said into "English" for my wife as she couldn't understand a word. Of course, my wife's first language is Spanish so that's part of it but she was difficult to understand.

Well I didn't say everywhere. The obvious ones are Boston, New York, Chicago (I learned that one from Lieutenant Monahan from Quincy and the show Crime Story), certain areas of Texas, Louisiana, Minnesota and Maine.

What's a geordie anyway? And how is that different from cockney?

What's the lowest accent a Brit can have? You know, your equivalent of a Brooklyn and Bronx accent?

A geordie is from Newcastle and cockney is a working class accent in London. There's about 300 miles between them which might not seem a lot in America but in the UK it's like 3000 in America. So comparing Newcastle and London is like comparing New York and San Jose.

The Brtish accent that's probably most hard to understand is a really strong Glaswegian (Glasgow in Scotland) accent. This is the accent that Billy Connolly has but his is only a light-medium version...

This one is pretty strong but I have no trouble understanding it, there's much stronger ones than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5XyecKONu8

Here's an exaggerated one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4yeqSgNxiE

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 2

My poor wife Denise can barely understand words uttered from the House of Windsor. I on the other hand as a community theatre thespian can understand all of the British Empire's English.
  • Like 1