The Rush Forum's TOP 500 MOVIES

Lucas

502-- Eyes Wide Shut (1999). Kubrick's last movie is great. Don't let Tom Cruise's name as the lead make you doubt it. Love the minimal score and the overall dream/nightmare-like storytelling.

Thats a great film and one I would nominate. Loads of hidden clues apparently. Great film, yeah the dream nightmare sequences were powerful, uncontrollable despair for sure. Enjoyed it loads.

504) The Basketball Diaries (1995)

A really great movie I remember seeing back in the 90's. It's about an aspiring basketball player who falls victim to heroin use and the struggles he faces to overcome the addiction. It's a very powerful and moving movie. It's one of those movies that might be kind of tough to watch but in the end is worth it. It stars Leonardo Dicaprio as Jim Caroll who wrote the autobiographical book it's based on. I meant to squeeze this in the top 500 but I missed the boat.

Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 3

501) Drive ( Condemned2bfree )

502) Eyes Wide Shut ( Rushian King )

503) Basketball Diaries ( New World Man )

504) Rope ( Lucas )

One of the many great collaborations between Hitch and Jimmy Stewart, and unique in that the films takes place in real time - Hitch did his best in editing to make the entire film happen in one shot .. Engrossing dialog and performances all 'round

• Like 3

505-- Killer's Kiss (1955). Kubrick's 'first' movie shows his visual eye was already ready for what would come later. Frank Silvera stars as a crime boss trying to get his girl back and gain revenge against the guy who takes her away. Silvera didn't have the looks of Poitier to become as big but should be better known. He died prematurely via accidental electrocution in 1970.
  • Like 1

504) Rope ( Lucas )

One of the many great collaborations between Hitch and Jimmy Stewart, and unique in that the films takes place in real time - Hitch did his best in editing to make the entire film happen in one shot .. Engrossing dialog and performances all 'round

i literally signed on to add this movie to the list! They used three reels without cutting away. Genius!
  • Like 2

504) The Basketball Diaries (1995)

A really great movie I remember seeing back in the 90's. It's about an aspiring basketball player who falls victim to heroin use and the struggles he faces to overcome the addiction. It's a very powerful and moving movie. It's one of those movies that might be kind of tough to watch but in the end is worth it. It stars Leonardo Dicaprio as Jim Caroll who wrote the autobiographical book it's based on. I meant to squeeze this in the top 500 but I missed the boat.

Ive read Jim's book a few times but haven't seen the movie. Thanks for adding it to the list, I'll have to watch it soon. Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 1

504) Rope ( Lucas )

505) Killer's Kiss ( Rushian King )

506) The Wanderers ( ReGorLaTroy )

507) Valley Of Gwangi ( Lucas )

Perhaps my favorite movie when I was a kid .. and because of this thread, I just bought the blu ray for eBay as I have not seen it in years ...

Ray Harryhousen's creations in a western setting .. love it, and loved the eohippus !!

valley_of_gwangi-narrow-300x0.jpg

508-- The Killing (1956). Kubrick's last remaining feature film still not on the list. Sterling Hayden stars in this solid crime-noir about a race-track heist gone wrong.

Note: Kubrick's first feature is a film called Fear And Desire (1953) which the director disowned for being embarrassingly bad. I've seen a grainy/static-y VHS of it but could barely make heads or tales of what was going on. According to the film's IMDb trivia page there's a copy in the Kodak archives in Rochester, NY for one-at-a-time viewing and there's another copy in the Library Of Congress (not sure if it's available to be watched).

Edit: looked F And D up on Wikipedia and there's a link for the entire movie right there. Looks like it has a chance to make the list as well after all.

Edited by Rushian King
  • Like 1

510. Dying Laughing (goose)

Just an outstanding documentary, consisting of a series of interviews brilliantly edited together to tell the story of what it means to be a standup comedian. The lure, the craft, the highs, and the lows.

• Like 1

511-- Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974). Scorsese directs Ellen Burstyn to an Oscar win about her title character and her son moving to a new town after becoming a widow. She takes on a waitressing job at Mel's diner. Sound familiar? Was turned into the long running TV show. Kris Kristofferson, Harvey Keitel, Dianne Ladd (also Oscar nominated) and Jodie Foster. See if you can spot a young Laura Dern.
  • Like 1

503) The Basketball Diaries (1995)( New World Man )

504) Rope ( Lucas )

508) The Killing ( Rushian King )

509) The Big Shave ( Rushian King )

510) Dying Laughing ( goose )

511) Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore ( Rushian King )

512) Charley Varrick ( Lucas )

I feel a bit like a hypocrite calling this film "vastly underrated" because here I am putting it at #512 ... But it IS underrated and for a long time it was very difficult to find for home viewing ..

Walter Matthau and Andy Robinson get more than they bargained for after robbing a bank .. Excellent crime drama from Don Siegel, who went to work with Robinson in Dirty Harry

• Like 2

513-- The Last Temptation Of Christ (1988). Scorsese directs this 'controversial' movie based on the book by Nikos Kazantzakis. Willem Dafoe as Jesus is tempted to live a normal life having children after questioning God's will for him. Harvey Keitel as Judas and Barbara Hershey as Magdalene. Edited by Rushian King
  • Like 2

514) Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home

One of the best Star Trek movies imo(at least that I've seen). It has a great story and it actually says something important. Aside from that it's just very entertaining and funny at times. Very much a ST movie but probably different than most.

Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 2

513-- The Last Temptation Of Christ (1988). Scorsese directs this 'controversial' movie based on the book by Nikos Kazantzakis. Willem Dafoe as Jesus is tempted to live a normal life having children after questioning God's will for him. Harvey Keitel as Judas and Barbara Hershey as Magdalene.

:ebert:

504) Rope ( Lucas )

513) The Last Temptation Of Christ (Rushian King)

514) Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home ( New World Man )

515) Crossroads (1986) ( Lucas )

Epic 80s guitar movie has Ralph Macchio helping Willie Brown aka Robert Johnson win his soul back from Satan .. Very memorable finale with Steve Vai ... and Jami Gertz is smoking hot

• Like 1

516-- Cape Fear (1962)/ Cape Fear (1991). Little known today director J. Lee Thompson helmed the original starring Gregory Peck (who starred in his previous year's film The Guns Of Navarone) as a lawyer who's family is being stalked by someone he helped put in jail, played by the menacing Robert Mitchum. In Scorsese's remake Robert De Niro bulks up to play the ex-con seeking revenge and Nick Nolte as the lawyer protecting his family, played by Jessica Lange and Juliette Lewis. Mitchum, Peck and Martin Balsam return (in different roles) for the second version. This is Scorsese's first remake, followed by The Departed and last year's Silence. Edited by Rushian King
  • Like 1

I liked the remake of cape fear but never saw the original.

It's a solid dramatic-thriller. I think Mitchum was more subtle in his portrayal as the vengeful ex-con. De Niro has a scene early on where you see him pumped up implying a more open and physical threat. The original is definitely worth a watch.

504) Rope ( Lucas )

513) The Last Temptation Of Christ (Rushian King)

514) Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home ( New World Man )

515) Crossroads (1986) ( Lucas )

516) Cape Fear (1962) Cape Fear (1991)( Rushian King )

517) Coming Home ( 2014 ) (Lucas)

I watched Coming Home for the first time last week, and had I known about it earlier, it probably would have made it into the Big 500 ..

Not to be confused with the 1978 film starring Jon Voight , 2014's Coming Home is another fantastic collaboration between director Zhang Yimou and Gong Li ..

Chen Daoming plays Gong Li's husband, who is sent to a labor camp during the 1960s-70s Cultural Revolution .. When he is finally released and reunited with his wife, Daoming finds that Li has suffered great emotional trauma resulting in amnesia, and remembers nothing of him ..

The performances in this film are incredible and the emotion is gut wrenching ... Coming Home is not as wonderfully gaudy as some of Zhang Yimou's other films, but that probably would have only served as a distraction .. Very memorable final shot

Edited by Lucas