Post-Hardcore

Super25Smasher

no problem. it's fun to post again from time to time and actually have some sort of positive impact, as fun as it may be to spread negativity for my amusement

I was looking at my music collection recently and I decided to separate what forged my tastes and what I have bought since 2010...which was when I started looking way above the underground.

I can't believe I've become a Foreigner, Bon Jovi, Killers or even a Dream Theater fan. I think somewhere along the line I've lost the plot a bit...

I grew up listening to some cheese...but mostly Cult Of Luna, Neurosis, early Opeth, Isis, hardcore bands and extreme metal...

Not saying I could dive back into those waters with ease but it's alarming...and honestly...very embarrassing. I enjoy it all but...it's not the music I am truly passionate about.

no problem. it's fun to post again from time to time and actually have some sort of positive impact, as fun as it may be to spread negativity for my amusement

I was looking at my music collection recently and I decided to separate what forged my tastes and what I have bought since 2010...which was when I started looking way above the underground.

I can't believe I've become a Foreigner, Bon Jovi, Killers or even a Dream Theater fan. I think somewhere along the line I've lost the plot a bit...

I grew up listening to some cheese...but mostly Cult Of Luna, Neurosis, early Opeth, Isis, hardcore bands and extreme metal...

Not saying I could dive back into those waters with ease but it's alarming...and honestly...very embarrassing. I enjoy it all but...it's not the music I am truly passionate about.

the more music you dig the more joy you experience! I'll stick with sitting in my cave listening to celtic frost and voivod cassettes, but it's cool that you can enjoy most things. maybe pull out some candlemass and ease back into the darkness with something easy to digest...

• Like 1

the more music you dig the more joy you experience! I'll stick with sitting in my cave listening to celtic frost and voivod cassettes, but it's cool that you can enjoy most things. maybe pull out some candlemass and ease back into the darkness with something easy to digest...

You would cry...I'd be sitting their figuring out where the best disco beats should go into each song haha

I might play some Cathedral...I miss them

You would cry...I'd be sitting their figuring out where the best disco beats should go into each song haha

I might play some Cathedral...I miss them

huge fan of forest of equilibrium. to rev up the extremity, play some lee dorrian-era napalm death! :D

Prong, Celtic Frost, Voivod and Killing Joke are all bands that I like that were what I sort of feel fit this description - maybe not so much, I don't know .. I'm just going by what I knew as hardcore, and then the early branches that popped out ..

I think a lot of modern bands embrace the term because they feel legitimized by the term "hardcore" - but there's really nothing hardcore about them

Edited by Lucas

I like fugazi though

I don't really even know what post-hardcore is though

Nice to see you around again, Bathory.

Yeah I dont know what hardcore is all about, from that video, i guess its damp conditions. :huh:

Fugazi are great, did you ever hear of Jesus lizard, Steve Albinis band? not sure if they are hardcore.

Prong, Celtic Frost, Voivod and Killing Joke are all bands that I like that were what I sort of feel fit this description - maybe not so much, I don't know .. I'm just going by what I knew as hardcore, and then the early branches that popped out ..

I think a lot of modern bands embrace the term because they feel legitimized by the term "hardcore" - but there's really nothing hardcore about them

You are wrong and none of those bands are close.

I like fugazi though

Yeah I dont know what hardcore is all about, from that video, i guess its damp conditions. :huh:

Fugazi are great, did you ever hear of Jesus lizard, Steve Albinis band? not sure if they are hardcore.

of course, my parents' first date was jesus lizard in the 90s

albini just produced them I believe, you might be thinking of big black

regardless of subgenre i love noisy shit like that

• Like 1

I met the guys in voivod back in february

• Like 1

oh Segue please stop - you and you gd labels

If you want to get into again with shit like Thrice, I'm up for it

There is nothing remotely "hardcore" about that lightweight shit

Try to validate your tatses all you want, but Thrice have more in common with One Direction than any hardcore movement

oh Segue please stop - you and you gd labels

If you want to get into again with shit like Thrice, I'm up for it

There is nothing remotely "hardcore" about that lightweight shit

Try to validate your tatses all you want, but Thrice have more in common with One Direction than any hardcore movement

Yes you heard one song well done

And One Direction have way more musical merit than your K-pop junk

And it's good to know you have authority to state a well established genre that has been loved and respected for two or more decades is decidedly less important or completely a sham compared to tiny Asian girls dancing in their underwear singing vapid, musically dead cack

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

I like fugazi though

of course, my parents' first date was jesus lizard in the 90s

albini just produced them I believe, you might be thinking of big black

regardless of subgenre i love noisy shit like that

Yeah Albini was involved with them, among others.Sometimes thought with the bands he produced he was trying to kick up a scene, suppose he may of.

Did you hear what happened with the in utero production? I thought the record label didn't like Albinis initial mix. I recently listened to a Kurt

Cobain interview with Mr Savage, and Kurt states, Albinis not much of a producer. Wow go figure, after all the effort Nirvana went to, to get Albini on board.

Yeah noisy stuff is good, No means no, fugazi etc, though I do love me meat puppets!

I once thought hardcore ended in 1986 with the Cro-Mags releasing the last hardcore album, Age of Quarrel.

But of course that was just old people whining. Musical trends evolve continuously and every so often enough people can't age to the point they no longer recognize a given genre.

So hardcore continues, and we get Gorilla Biscuits, Madball, until the unfortunate trend of Earth Crisis.

And somewhere along the way bands started being called hardcore that don't seem hardcore at all to me.

I swear I thought this thread would be about Fugazi, maybe the Minutemen and Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr., FNM, perhaps the Melvins. Turns out I don't know.

Maybe I like post hardcore. I will listen to those bands and let you know.

I once thought hardcore ended in 1986 with the Cro-Mags releasing the last hardcore album, Age of Quarrel.

But of course that was just old people whining. Musical trends evolve continuously and every so often enough people can't age to the point they no longer recognize a given genre.

So hardcore continues, and we get Gorilla Biscuits, Madball, until the unfortunate trend of Earth Crisis.

And somewhere along the way bands started being called hardcore that don't seem hardcore at all to me.

I swear I thought this thread would be about Fugazi, maybe the Minutemen and Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr., FNM, perhaps the Melvins. Turns out I don't know.

Maybe I like post hardcore. I will listen to those bands and let you know.

Exactly. ..it's called post because it came from something but progressed way past it.

And I ask anyone to listen to The Illusion Of Safety by Thrice and tell me it sounds like One Direction. Ridiculous.

• Like 1

I love Celtic Frost, like Voivod sometimes, Prong is great, and Killing Joke can be fantastic. Genre isn't something I like save for it's usefulness in describing a band, but to my ears CF and Voivod are in one subgenre while Prong is with KJ in another. But based on this thread it's clear that the term 'hardcore' is meaningless now as no one knows what another person means by it. :)

• Like 1

I love Celtic Frost, like Voivod sometimes, Prong is great, and Killing Joke can be fantastic. Genre isn't something I like save for it's usefulness in describing a band, but to my ears CF and Voivod are in one subgenre while Prong is with KJ in another. But based on this thread it's clear that the term 'hardcore' is meaningless now as no one knows what another person means by it. :)

None of those bands were ever considered hardcore. Maybe Killing Joke but again, it really.

• Like 1

None of those bands were ever considered hardcore. Maybe Killing Joke but again, it really.

I don't mean subgenre of hardcore. I relate KJ and Prong to industrial, with the former a pioneer in taking Throbbing Gristle through a punk filter with metal organization. Prong is like Ministry or KMFDM but with the industrial element dialed back several notches.

Celtic Frost is a pioneer for all the bands fusing Wagner with metal, and Voivod is a pioneer in progressive metal.

To my ears.

Edited by Mosher