Brazil 2016: Olympiad XXXI

goose

World League play in volleyball left much to be desired for Poland. Nice come-back win against France but the Serbia game was a disaster, on home soil no less. I hope the boys end up feeling hungry come Olympic time and erase this disappointment.

Who's going???

You are,

And here is why. :P

http://www.dailymail...d-Cup-flop.html

I wouldn't touch 'em with someone else's :outtahere: .

They do look very ropey...

If you do come, I can recommend you better alternatives (which a friend of a friend knows about, not me. ;) )

Ok, seriously now, I had a business dinner the other day, and an Australian lady saiud she thought it was depressing that a lot of Brazilians are upset about the Olympics and how much public spending went into it instead of education, security, transportation, health etc. She said that "when they held the Olympics in Sydney, we had everyone in the streets greeting visitors, proud to host the games etc.". I don´t think she was really aware of the current situation in Brazil, where inequality and poverty (and above all, impunity for the rich). Last week they started to add banners and signals to the tunnels related to the games, and this photographer just explained EVERYTHING with one single shot:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/new%20world1_zpsriagjcdb.jpg

^^^ That same photo could be staged in Detroit, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, D.C. ...

I´m curious, goose - do you think we should protest and complain about the misuse of public funds in the Olympics, or should we forget about it and enjoy the games?

^^^ That same photo could be staged in Detroit, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, D.C. ...

I´m curious, goose - do you think we should protest and complain about the misuse of public funds in the Olympics, or should we forget about it and enjoy the games?

I think peaceful protest is a smart move. Global attention is a rare opportunity. On the other hand, compleyely undermining the Games through violence would be a mistake, I think. A successful Games would show the resiliance of the Brazilian people in the face of adversity.
  • Like 1

Michael Phelps just won the 100 Fly qualifier. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

He also won the 200 Fly and the 200 medley, and will be returning to the Olympics for the 5th time. He has an opportunity to add to his 18 Olympic gold medal total.

Amazing.

Edited by goose

Also in swimming...

Anthony Ervin, who retired from swimming in 2003 only to return eight years later and to successfully qualify for the 2012 games, will be a part of the 2016 USA Olympic squad. This at age 35!

Despite Rio being 1 hour ahead of Eastern Time Zone, NBC won’t televise the Opening Ceremonies live.

It will be on a 1 hour tape delay. ..Thanks NBC..so any surprises will be on the internet within 5 seconds....

How very 1980 of you

Despite Rio being 1 hour ahead of Eastern Time Zone, NBC won’t televise the Opening Ceremonies live.

It will be on a 1 hour tape delay. ..Thanks NBC..so any surprises will be on the internet within 5 seconds....

How very 1980 of you

Its NBC. :LOL:

• Like 2

How very 1980 of you

Its NBC. :LOL:

I bet synchronized swimming will be live. :banghead:
  • Like 1

Obviously I'm not in Brazil to witness any of the problems there, but the complaints coming from some of the delegations seem a bit trivial. The Australian team stormed out of the Olympic village, then decided to come back in. There are athletes who are not happy with the fact there are no windows in the kitchen. For goodness sake, shut up and represent your country. This "hell" will end for you soon. :eyeroll:
  • Like 5

Much like other international events Brazil has hosted - the Panamerican Games in 2007, th World Cup in 2014 etc. - things will work out in the end. Having had a career overseas, the thing that upsets me the most about Brazil is how poor we are at planning. The issues in the olympic village could have easily been avoided with better planning. Since Rio was awarded the chance of hosting the games, it´s been widely publicized how the village would be the "most modern village ever", but eight years and $1 billion later, there are still problems with it. It´s a fcuking building, ferchrissakes!!! Construction companies are used to this kind of practice here: delay progress as long as it´s possible, and then charge extra money to speed up and finish on time. That´s a big part of the reason why a bunch of us are still upset. Another reason is that, as usual, this is another missed opportunity to actually improve issues like public transport, health and security. What the world will see during the olympics is a makeover, which will soon fade away - that has been the case in the recent events I mentioned in my first sentence.

With all that said, I think my daughter would kill me if she found out later in her life that we had the olympics in our backyard and didn´t take her to see at least one game. I´ll try to find tickets today to one or two events...

• Like 3

We were strolling by the Copacabana beach yesterday, and managed to get a few pics close to the olympic symbol. The line to take pictures here increased tenfold just a handful of minutes later:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/olimpiada1_zpsdmxejyoh.jpg

• Like 5

Got tickets for two female volleyball games: Italy vs Puerto Rico and USA vs China.

Awesome! What a great opportunity for you and your family!
  • Like 1

Who knew the Olympics have actually started before the Opening ceremony ??

Canada broad scores a goal 20 seconds into the 1st game

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/watch-canada-score-the-fastest-goal-in-olympic-soccer-history-182941003.html