The Jelly Jam

I don't go to more than maybe a show every year or two. As soon as I heard they were playing nearby I gathered the troops. (2) more going with me, going to be great. Hopefully the new album (which I'm sure they will be playing a lot of) doesn't suck. :P

I'm hoping it will be their best one yet (Although I still don't have the third one.)

It's really just a rock album played by some good musicians.

...as opposed to...?

I guess I'm feeling spoiled, listening to a lot of what I would consider top shelf music lately. This falls a bit short of that, and it stood out first listen. I do like a few tracks, like the grungier Mr Man, and even a few of the slower tracks. IMO Ty's voice isn't ideal for lead vocals, but he gets the job done. It's definitely a weak element. Some of the compositions are fairly plodding, a couple (albeit complex) parts repeated a few times. Maybe a lead guitar here and there. Just very little *wow*. In my mind the three of them with their capabilities are probably capable of putting out much better music than this, so in the end I'd conclude that the songs and album are rushed since they had to squeeze it inbetween their other musical gigs. Compare this to, say, Them Crooked Vultures, which is a phenomenal rock album (also three talented guys from different bands coming together for a short time).

Edited by stoopid

...as opposed to...?

I guess I'm feeling spoiled, listening to a lot of what I would consider top shelf music lately. This falls a bit short of that, and it stood out first listen. I do like a few tracks, like the grungier Mr Man, and even a few of the slower tracks. IMO Ty's voice isn't ideal for lead vocals, but he gets the job done. It's definitely a weak element. Some of the compositions are fairly plodding, a couple (albeit complex) parts repeated a few times. Maybe a lead guitar here and there. Just very little *wow*. In my mind the three of them with their capabilities are probably capable of putting out much better music than this, so in the end I'd conclude that the songs and album are rushed since they had to squeeze it inbetween their other musical gigs. Compare this to, say, Them Crooked Vultures, which is a phenomenal rock album (also three talented guys from different bands coming together for a short time).

How would you compare it to their first three albums?

...as opposed to...?

How would you compare it to their first three albums?

I've not listened to them in years (I actually don't know if I even have the third). I checked last night and didn't even see them in my huge MP3 catalog. So it looks like I'd have to dig out the CDs and rerip them for the car ride down to the show.

From memory, I recall feeling similar about the other albums which is why I likely haven't listened to them in so long. Being a fan though of two of the members, and their output with their primary bands, has me vaguely interested enough to support the dream they will someday release something great as a side project. For me this came across as a weak King's X album, missing that special sauce that makes King's X unique/enjoyable.

Edited by stoopid

I've been listening to it once or twice nearly every night for a full month now, and all I can say is Stain on the Sun is a masterpiece... Very powerful for a song that clocks in at just over three minutes.

These three singles + all the previews I've heard have me more convinced than ever that this will be their best record... And their debut / shall we descend aren't easy records to top.

It's been a slow burn for me, having it looped in the car for the past few days I'm discovering that I rather enjoy most of the songs. It would be easier at this point to list the ones I don't care for than the ones I enjoy.

Me too. Solid. Not sure it's exceptional, but I'm not sure any of their stuff is tip top shelf either....but still very, very good. And like with you it's been a solid slow burn for me, so I only see my good feelings about it growing on the whole. Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 1

I find that all of Jelly Jam's work grows on me like nothing else does.

It took me over two years before I enjoyed "Halos in Hell" as much as I do now. There's a song that truly does get better with every listen.

...as opposed to...?

You were far too quick to judge, clearly :D

• Like 1

Just finished listening through this album for the 7th time (that being, the 7th time in full... As far as listening to this album's individual tracks out of order or singularly, I've listened to Care over 50 times, Stain on the Sun over 60, and Perfect Lines well over 20.)

This is the album is the one I've been looking forward to most this year, and while it's not everything I expected, it's pretty close.

In order to better, it should have been lengthier with solo-instrumentation carrying it through (see: Perfect Line's piano line, or Ghost Town's clean guitar's riff) for a bit longer, while still giving a deeper understanding to the listener. This sort of thing was implied with docuteaser.

Also: At first, Mr. Man reminded me of Ty Tabor's "Politician's Creed" (and it still does). Good stuff, but it's honestly too Tabor rather than Jelly Jam. Maybe a year from now I'll understand Mr. Man as a masterpiece, I thought, but for now I see it as abuse of Jelly Jam in order to make another aggressive hard rock Ty Tabor song (again, I thought, cautiously)... And "I thought" indeed is the key phrase. Today, things are clear that Rod and John's playing had a huge impact on the songs production, and Mr. Man is yet another masterful track among the 11 other of Profit.

I see Profit as the album of the year (AOTY) for 2016 without doubt... Aside from A Moon Shaped Pool, I'd be hard pressed to find another contestable album, plain and simple.

Edited by Mr. Not

I see Profit as the album of the year (AOTY) for 2016 without doubt... Aside from A Moon Shaped Pool, I'd be hard pressed to find another contestable album, plain and simple.

That might be to much praise for what is a considerably *good* album, but aoty is your award to give since we wont likely see this mentioned for a Grammy. ;)

Absolutely, initially I let my vague expectations cloud my judgment. It's not a personal aoty candidate, even only being midway through the year, but it is a very enjoyable and (arguably too) "safe" album.

• Like 1

I really admire that Ty decided to explore his vocals more during this album, embracing his choral and high-pitched qualities.

Isnt this how he always sings/sounds?

That might be to much praise for what is a considerably *good* album, but aoty is your award to give since we wont likely see this mentioned for a Grammy. ;)

Absolutely, initially I let my vague expectations cloud my judgment. It's not a personal aoty candidate, even only being midway through the year, but it is a very enjoyable and (arguably too) "safe" album.

Keeping this in mind, you do a good job at being impartial in most musical regards.

Platypus! I knew I had more experience with this band (Platypus being Jelly Jam minus Derek Sherinian). I've spent much more time with those couple Platypus records, which IMO is basically the same band/sound. Seeing a post elsewhere reminded me of this.
  • Like 1

Platypus! I knew I had more experience with this band (Platypus being Jelly Jam minus Derek Sherinian). I've spent much more time with those couple Platypus records, which IMO is basically the same band/sound. Seeing a post elsewhere reminded me of this.

You got it backwards! Actually Jelly Jam is Platypus minus Derek Sherinian.

• Like 1