Band of the week

djflex

Listening to The Prelude Implicit right now. I like it, but i miss Steve Walsh.

To me it's just a very average album. If it came out in the seventies it would have been a major dip in quality and to say it's better than many of their more recent albums is hardly a compliment.

• Like 1

Giving Monolith a spin. A phenomenally good sounding album...a big, warm sound that makes okay starting songs like Angels Have Fallen sound great when the full band kicks in. And the vocals are amazing as well. Plenty of solid tracks, full of iconic Kansas riffs, like How My Soul Cries. And then there's A Glimpse Of Home. :wub:
  • Like 2

Giving Monolith a spin. A phenomenally good sounding album...a big, warm sound that makes okay starting songs like Angels Have Fallen sound great when the full band kicks in. And the vocals are amazing as well. Plenty of solid tracks, full of iconic Kansas riffs, like How My Soul Cries. And then there's A Glimpse Of Home. :wub:

Quite an underrated album!!!

I don´t have that one, Super...but I remember listening to it a lot on a tape I made in the mid 90´s. Wasn´t this dedicated to a fan who died on a car crash on the way back from a Kansas show?

I've never heard that story before, but you could be right.

I don´t have that one, Super...but I remember listening to it a lot on a tape I made in the mid 90´s. Wasn´t this dedicated to a fan who died on a car crash on the way back from a Kansas show?

I've never heard that story before, but you could be right.

Apparently, a fan was in a car accident and blinded, not killed. The album was dedicated to him.

A site called "thenews-messenger" has a cool follow up piece on it. Apparently the guy and the band still communicate.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

220px-Talking_Heads_77.jpg

Might as well tackle this band in chronological order! The debut is brilliant, making a strong statement of what the Talking Heads will be about: artistry, craftsmanship, and a wide range of influences. Lots of cajun and African rhythms and guitar riffs laced throughout. This band is fun and smart. Who is it? It's the Talking Heads.

:dweez:

http://e.snmc.io/lk/f/l/fd4578a45c00ef0fb035f3da2e870035/1763827.jpg

With More Songs About Buildings and Food, the band progresses. A fuller sound, with more keys added and more complex arrangements. Thank You For Sending Me An Angel is a brilliant opening, heavier and darker than anything on '77. Successfully darker and more danceable is a good way to describe this sophomore effort, I think.

• Like 1

My main issue with Talking Heads is the weird vocals. I don´t think I ever checked out a full TH album, but will start with Remain in Light.

The vocals are quirky for sure, like early DEVO. I cam see it not being someone's cup of tea. Vocals keep me off of really liking Dave Matthews.
  • Like 1

http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Music/v4/f0/02/4e/f0024e9d-6d68-9ab2-9408-47551e109581/cover100x100.jpeg

Fast-forward to this incredible album. Continuing to evolve, bringing more funk into the music, as well as gospel-influenced vocals. This is a great listen.

• Like 1

Stop_Making_Sense_-_Talking_Heads.jpg

This should be a mandatory part of the public school curriculum. :P

Big smile on my face, as the Lad just chimed in perfectly with the "fa-fa fa, fa-fa-fa-fa fa-fa". :LOL:

I'll work my way backward throughout the day. No small task, considering his expansive collection, but I'm :drool: And here we go...

http://yougaku-pops.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/150305-beck-morning-phase-200x200.jpg

Morning Phase... Beck starts off here by channeling Brian Wilson of Beach Boys fame. It seems appropriate, as Beck has taken on the role of his generation's melodic genius. Morning is one of the more beautiful songs I've heard in a long time. Really mesmerizing. I'm guessing some of his fans might not have appreciated this approach, which is miles from Where It's At or Loser. But, hey, we all grow up. Heart is a Drum follows in a similar vein, with shades of Pink Floyd in the guitar work and vocals. The balance of the album follows suit, in a relaxing, escapist, Pet Sounds kind of way.

Many thanks to the Artist Formerly Know as 74 for turning me on to the Beck marathon. :cheers:

Edited by goose