WOW!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1196 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Rush, Rush, drums, living off-grid, fishing, hunting, cooking, gardening, raising and growing my own food! Farting in crowded elevators... silent or otherwise.

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:31 PM

View PostLorraine, on 18 December 2015 - 06:13 PM, said:

View PostThunder Bay Rush, on 18 December 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

Lorraine, I agree!  And, without all the goddam sequencers et cetera that are used these days.  Back then, if you heard it coming through the speakers, it meant someone played it.  The Hemispheres Tour was probably the best of all.
Thunder Bay, I will always remember you.  When I first came here, you were one of the very first people to make me feel at home.  I asked you a question about what Neil was doing on the drums during either TS or DEW.

I just finished listening to almost that entire bootleg.  Really extraordinary.  The sound is exceptional - especially when you remember it's 1978!!!
  Hey, Lorriane... I remember that... you were wondering what it was that Neil was doing when he laid his stick down across the snare drum.  He was doing a rim shot... I remember that from like... three years ago, but I have no goddam idea where my wallet and keys are... do you know by any chance?

Sponsored Post

#42 canadianice

canadianice

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2955 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:55 PM

I prefer A desert Passage, but both really kick ass-------great boots     :rush:

#43 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1196 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Rush, Rush, drums, living off-grid, fishing, hunting, cooking, gardening, raising and growing my own food! Farting in crowded elevators... silent or otherwise.

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:40 AM

Many great recordings of the tour.  I remember the Ottawa, Ontario  show... 8,000 people, packed and sold out.  I nearly lost my shit.  I kept on thinking to myself... How does he DO that?  (Geddy.)

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush, 12 January 2016 - 08:41 AM.

#44 kamrahai

kamrahai

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 933 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

View PostThunder Bay Rush, on 12 January 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

Many great recordings of the tour.  I remember the Ottawa, Ontario  show... 8,000 people, packed and sold out.  I nearly lost my shit.  I kept on thinking to myself... How does he DO that?  (Geddy.)

I was there and will never forget it :haz:
Wish I could find a recording of that one along with the April '78 show (my first) also at the Civic Center

#45 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1196 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:04 AM

View Postkamrahai, on 12 January 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

Wish I could find a recording of that one along with the April '78 show (my first) also at the Civic Center
  Hey if you there, you might remember (for the end of the encore) Alex being on the shoulders of that huge roadie guy?  He was running around the stage (with Alex on his shoulders) and Alex was ripping his guitar for the end of the show.  Also, do you remember Neil being at Geddy's microphone and thanking the Ottawa crowd?  That was at the beginning of the encore.  That was the only time I've ever heard of Neil addressing the crowd on a microphone... Stellar memories.

#46 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1196 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:06 AM

I was also at the AFTK show, April 2, '78... Max opened up, with Butler playing before them.  WICKED. That was the first time I saw Max Webster.  The Hemispheres show was December 21, '78. Wicked.

#47 kamrahai

kamrahai

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 933 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:08 AM

View PostThunder Bay Rush, on 12 January 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

Hey if you there, you might remember (for the end of the encore) Alex being on the shoulders of that huge roadie guy?  He was running around the stage (with Alex on his shoulders) and Alex was ripping his guitar for the end of the show.  Also, do you remember Neil being at Geddy's microphone and thanking the Ottawa crowd?  That was at the beginning of the encore.  That was the only time I've ever heard of Neil addressing the crowd on a microphone... Stellar memories.

To be honest I don't have the best memory of my youth. That was a few brain cells ago. I seem to recall the Alex part though. I do remember Neil doing a little christmas jingle on the bells as it was a Dec 21st (Rush Day!) show

#48 kamrahai

kamrahai

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 933 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:36 AM

View Postkamrahai, on 12 January 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

To be honest I don't have the best memory of my youth. That was a few brain cells ago. I seem to recall the Alex part though. I do remember Neil doing a little christmas jingle on the bells as it was a Dec 21st (Rush Day!) show

Posted Image

#49 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1196 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

I remember that part... Geddy (and 8,000 people) sang "the First Noel" and Neil played the notes on the stand-up tubular bells that he used in CTTH and Xanada.  Your memory is better than you think!

#50 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42061 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

View PostThunder Bay Rush, on 12 January 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

I was also at the AFTK show, April 2, '78... Max opened up, with Butler playing before them.  WICKED. That was the first time I saw Max Webster.  The Hemispheres show was December 21, '78. Wicked.

I love hearing stuff like this.  Thanks for sharing those memories with us.  

They really were the good old days.  There's nothing like a young band before they get jaded and used to fame and fortune.

#51 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1196 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:58 AM

Lorraine, my first Rush show was in that same building, The Ottawa Civic Centre, in 1976... the ATWAS Tour, where they nailed 2112.  The place was packed too.  But, the HUGE improvement in the AFTK show: the musicianship, the lights, pyro, back film screen, the sound, the songs (Xanada, for example) was mind blowing.  That was the first tour where they used synthesisers, Taurus pedals, et cetera and where Neil had the additional acoustic percussion instruments.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WOW!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users