Am I the only one...

hcm

I've been to 2 shows this tour. I really haven't listened to many on Periscope or Youtube, just been to the live shows. It seems to my ear that they might have tweaked Geddy's mic to 'help' with the high vocals of the second set. Or am I just way out there....?

Wouldn't surprise me but I haven't a clue to be honest. If true they should have done it from the beginning and especially during OLV...

I saw them in Boston. Geddy sounded the same as when I first saw them in late 1976. Some songs were dead on, others were not. Been that way for ever. So, no I don't think that his vocals are enhanced or fixed at any time. Now if they take a concert and bring it into the studio, then they might tweek his vocals somewhat.
  • Like 1

Lorraine I don't know if they can or not....I am not a musician, it just sounded like his speaking voice was higher in the second set than the first set to me.
  • Like 1

I've been to 2 shows this tour. I really haven't listened to many on Periscope or Youtube, just been to the live shows. It seems to my ear that they might have tweaked Geddy's mic to 'help' with the high vocals of the second set. Or am I just way out there....?

That I'm aware of, other than the obvious sound board settings, I believe the only other mic "tweaking" that would do what you're implying is auto-tune. Geddy doesn't use auto-tune.

So, to answer your question, YES, you're just way out there! :D

Lorraine I don't know if they can or not....I am not a musician, it just sounded like his speaking voice was higher in the second set than the first set to me.

Maybe his glottis was warmed up / stretched out sufficiently by then.

Nothing like a good ol' fashioned warmed-up glottis. With a side of uvula.

Yes, you're the only one. Seriously, though, I was at two shows (NJ and NYC) and if they tweaked his voice, he sure didn't take advantage of it at all for the higher songs--he was substituting a lot of lower notes for some of the really high notes he originally sung on various songs throughout set 2. No reason to do that at all if he was using technology to raise the pitch of his voice.

Nah, they're not doing anything. If they were, it would sound a lot better than it does.

:ph34r:

Well? :LOL:

If Geddy could correctly sing out of tune enough to make up for "correctively tweaking the pitch" while playing with in-tune instruments and samples, that would be the greatest feat ever.

That's not really how auto-tune works, but you can usually tell when someone is using it. The vocals don't sound natural.

If Geddy could correctly sing out of tune enough to make up for "correctively tweaking the pitch" while playing with in-tune instruments and samples, that would be the greatest feat ever.

That's not really how auto-tune works, but you can usually tell when someone is using it. The vocals don't sound natural.

I know that. I'm going off how the OP said it sounded like his speaking voice sounded higher in Set 2, and interpreted as the mic having a setting where it shifted his pitch up say 1/4 of a step. :LOL:

"Your uvula has really gone to the dogs..."
  • Like 1

I know that. I'm going off how the OP said it sounded like his speaking voice sounded higher in Set 2, and interpreted as the mic having a setting where it shifted his pitch up say 1/4 of a step. :LOL:

:LOL:

I was going to say that probably it was ringing in the ears from the loud music. I remember getting that at concerts years ago. He would sound like Minnie Mouse by the time a few songs had been played. :LOL:

"Your uvula has really gone to the dogs..."

Yep...Geddy's workin' that uvula!!!!!

"was going to say that probably it was ringing in the ears from the loud music. I remember getting that at concerts years ago. He would sound like Minnie Mouse by the time a few songs had been played."

Hmmm that might be it, didn't realize that happened.....and yeah I am usually 'way out there' lol