Geddy's R40 Basses (includes setlists)

r40 geddy basses

68 replies to this topic

#21 Merely Space

Merely Space

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3951 posts
  • Interests:Acting, music, gaming, model making, military history.

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:15 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 25 May 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

View Postmrfriendly, on 25 May 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 May 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

View PostDel_Duio, on 22 May 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

Geddy with the thunderbird looks.... wrong, somehow.

I thought that too. It looks funny on him. But then they are oddly shaped basses.

I am no expert on basses but that thunderbird model just doesnt seem to fit for songs like OLV/How It Is for me. Again I guess on any bass you shouldn't have drastic changes in sound, you are playing the same notes for that song maybe some differences in tone I guess? But still thunderbird just looks weird on him for OLV.

Could someone also help me understand how the double bass works exactly for Xanadu? I noticed on the new orleans video which is really good he plays the top part for most of it and I only saw him play the second part at the end I think. What exactly is the difference and is the whole thing more for show than anything? I imagine it would be since he played it fine on R30 with a normal bass.

The top part is a bass, the bottom is a guitar.

Geddy plays rhythm guitar while Alex does the outro solo.  It does result in a fuller sound for that part of the song.  It didn't matter for R30, because they played a truncated version that didn't have that part.

Edited by Merely Space, 25 May 2015 - 03:16 PM.

Sponsored Post

#22 rushbass

rushbass

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5973 posts
  • Interests:Music, Motorcycling, Auburn Tigers Football

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:53 PM

I must say that this was hard to discern even with all the pictures I took in New Orleans.  And I had to refer back to the tour book listing, and its picture of the basses in the rack.

For instance, the Sonic Blue Jazz looked white in all my pics under the lighting (Sonic Blue is a very light blue, and in the tour book, it has a white pick guard). Also, the 1966 Fiesta Red Jazz listed in the tour book looks more like Candy Apple Red in all my pics.  On a side note, the 1960 Fiesta Red Jazz definitely looks Fiesta Red in my pics.

So here it is:  Every bass played at the New Orleans concert, as viewed through my camera eye...  ;-)

Set 1:

The Anarchist - 1972 Fender Jazz Bass (Black, My Number One)

Posted Image

The Wreckers - 1965 Fender Jazz Bass (White)

Posted Image

Headlong Flight - 1962 Fender Jazz Bass (Sea Foam Green)

Posted Image

Far Cry - 1962 Fender Jazz Bass (Sea Foam Green)

Posted Image

The Main Monkey Business - 1972 Fender Jazz Bass (Blonde)  

Posted Image

How It Is - 1967 Gibson Thunderbird II (Polaris White)

Posted Image

Animate - 1964 Gibson Thunderbird IV (Sunburst)

Posted Image

Roll The Bones - 1959 Fender Precision Bass (Olympic White with matching headstock)

Posted Image

Between The Wheels - 1964 Fender Jazz Bass (Sonic Blue with matching headstock) - Yes, I know it looks white in this pic.. ;-)

Posted Image

Subdivisions - 1964 Fender Jazz Bass (Lake Placid Blue with matching headstock)

Posted Image

Set 2:

Tom Sawyer - 1972 Fender Jazz Bass (Black, My Number One)

Posted Image

The Camera Eye - 1968 Rickenbacker Model 4001 (BurgundyGlo)

Posted Image

The Spirit of Radio - 1960 Fender Jazz Bass (Fiesta Red)

Posted Image

Jacob's Ladder - 1965 Fender Precision Bass (Burgundy Mist)

Posted Image

Hemispheres: Prelude - Fender Jazz Bass (Trans Red Custom Shop)

Posted Image

Cygnus X-1 - 1966 Fender Jazz Bass (Fiesta Red with matching headstock) - This does not look like Fiesta Red to me in this light

Posted Image

Closer To The Heart - 1967 Rickenbacker Model 3261 (FireGlo)

Posted Image

Xanadu - 1975 Rickenbacker Model 4080/12 (JetGlo)

Posted Image

2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx/Presentation/Grand Finale - 1963 Fender Jazz Bass (Black with matching headstock)

Posted Image

Encore:

Lakeside Park and Anthem - 1968 Fender Telecaster Bass (Paisley)

Posted Image

What You're Doing - 1961 Hofner Solid Body 2 Pickup (Cherry Red)

Posted Image

Working Man (Garden Road riff at the end) - 1966 Fender Jazz Bass (Shoreline Gold with matching headstock)

Posted Image

#23 gudbuytjane

gudbuytjane

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 858 posts
  • Interests:0111000001101001011110100111101001100001

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

View Postrushbass, on 25 May 2015 - 03:53 PM, said:

I must say that this was hard to discern even with all the pictures I took in New Orleans.  And I had to refer back to the tour book listing, and its picture of the basses in the rack.

For instance, the Sonic Blue Jazz looked white in all my pics under the lighting (Sonic Blue is a very light blue, and in the tour book, it has a white pick guard). Also, the 1966 Fiesta Red Jazz listed in the tour book looks more like Candy Apple Red in all my pics.  On a side note, the 1960 Fiesta Red Jazz definitely looks Fiesta Red in my pics.

(snip)

This post is amaaaazing! So cool, thank you for doing all that work. It's so hard to pick out some of the colours under the lights.

Also, I'm glad to know I'm not the only person so obsessive about this stuff. :D

#24 rushbass

rushbass

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5973 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:36 PM

View Postgudbuytjane, on 25 May 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

View Postrushbass, on 25 May 2015 - 03:53 PM, said:

(snip)

This post is amaaaazing! So cool, thank you for doing all that work. It's so hard to pick out some of the colours under the lights.

Also, I'm glad to know I'm not the only person so obsessive about this stuff. :D

You are welcome... and yes, I am all about that bass, 'bout that bass - no treble!  ;) :D

#25 mrfriendly

mrfriendly

The Seeker

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:04 PM

Great post and I am not a guitar guy but would be very interested to see everything Alex has.

#26 rushbass

rushbass

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5973 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:28 PM

Here is a cool impromtu backstage tour video from Tampa... the bass tech is taking a guy around.

https://www.youtube....h?v=klOp100Or7g

The bass tech says that the Jetglo doubleneck is not his actual original one!  I guess the original is still at the RRHOF Museum?  Or at his house???

Also, the bass tech calls the Red Jazz with matching headstock and white pickguard "Candy Apple Red" even though it is listed as Fiesta Red in the tour book... I knew that was CAR, not Fiesta Red!

#27 gudbuytjane

gudbuytjane

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 858 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:55 PM

View Postrushbass, on 25 May 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

Here is a cool impromtu backstage tour video from Tampa... the bass tech is taking a guy around.

The bass tech says that the Jetglo doubleneck is not his actual original one!  I guess the original is still at the RRHOF Museum?  Or at his house???

Also, the bass tech calls the Red Jazz with matching headstock and white pickguard "Candy Apple Red" even though it is listed as Fiesta Red in the tour book... I knew that was CAR, not Fiesta Red!

Amazing, but damn--the user removed the videos JUST as I was watching the first one. By the time I clicked on the second they were both gone. :o

That was an amazing video! So glad I got to see it. :) And nice to have certain instruments verified by the tech.

#28 Merely Space

Merely Space

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3951 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:06 PM

A)  Damn, Rushbass, good job!

B)  Damn, I wish I could have seen those videos.

C)  Does anyone else find it odd that the paisley telecaster bass looks more like a stratocaster?

#29 gudbuytjane

gudbuytjane

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 858 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:15 PM

View PostMerely Space, on 25 May 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

C)  Does anyone else find it odd that the paisley telecaster bass looks more like a stratocaster?

Yeah, it's always seemed odd to me they called it the Telecaster Bass when it came out in 1968, when it was actually more Precision Bass Classic, mimicking the original P-bass design from 1951-1956. The new Precision design (aka the one we're used to as being the P-bass) was apparently designed to look more like a Strat, and has a far Strat-ier headstock, vs. the original, which is pretty Telecaster-like. Maybe that's what inspired the name when they revived the original design. Also, I think the body of the Tele bass is far more an uncontoured slab of wood, like Tele guitar bodies, vs. the contours of the Precision/Strat.

#30 rushbass

rushbass

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5973 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

View Postgudbuytjane, on 25 May 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

View Postrushbass, on 25 May 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

Amazing, but damn--the user removed the videos JUST as I was watching the first one. By the time I clicked on the second they were both gone. :o

That was an amazing video! So glad I got to see it. :) And nice to have certain instruments verified by the tech.

oops, yep it got pulled quick...let's just say with high probability, that it didn't take too long for this unofficial vid to get back to the band's management... move along, nothing to see here!

I'm glad you got to see it (as well as me) before it got the plug pulled!

Edited by rushbass, 25 May 2015 - 06:18 PM.

#31 Merely Space

Merely Space

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3951 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:19 PM

View Postgudbuytjane, on 25 May 2015 - 06:15 PM, said:

View PostMerely Space, on 25 May 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

Yeah, it's always seemed odd to me they called it the Telecaster Bass when it came out in 1968, when it was actually more Precision Bass Classic, mimicking the original P-bass design from 1951-1956. The new Precision design (aka the one we're used to as being the P-bass) was apparently designed to look more like a Strat, and has a far Strat-ier headstock, vs. the original, which is pretty Telecaster-like. Maybe that's what inspired the name when they revived the original design. Also, I think the body of the Tele bass is far more an uncontoured slab of wood, like Tele guitar bodies, vs. the contours of the Precision/Strat.

Exactly!  The only thing telecastery about it to me is the flatness of it.  Well, and the headstock.

#32 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21766 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

View PostMerely Space, on 25 May 2015 - 03:15 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 25 May 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

View Postmrfriendly, on 25 May 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 22 May 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

View PostDel_Duio, on 22 May 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

Geddy with the thunderbird looks.... wrong, somehow.

I thought that too. It looks funny on him. But then they are oddly shaped basses.

I am no expert on basses but that thunderbird model just doesnt seem to fit for songs like OLV/How It Is for me. Again I guess on any bass you shouldn't have drastic changes in sound, you are playing the same notes for that song maybe some differences in tone I guess? But still thunderbird just looks weird on him for OLV.

Could someone also help me understand how the double bass works exactly for Xanadu? I noticed on the new orleans video which is really good he plays the top part for most of it and I only saw him play the second part at the end I think. What exactly is the difference and is the whole thing more for show than anything? I imagine it would be since he played it fine on R30 with a normal bass.

The top part is a bass, the bottom is a guitar.

Geddy plays rhythm guitar while Alex does the outro solo.  It does result in a fuller sound for that part of the song.  It didn't matter for R30, because they played a truncated version that didn't have that part.

Right. Thanks. I was on my phone when I answered that before, and couldn't write it all out.

#33 gudbuytjane

gudbuytjane

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 858 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

View Postrushbass, on 25 May 2015 - 06:16 PM, said:

oops, yep it got pulled quick...let's just say with high probability, that it didn't take too long for this unofficial vid to get back to the band's management... move along, nothing to see here!

I'm glad you got to see it (as well as me) before it got the plug pulled!

One interesting thing, as they were looking at instruments the only 4001 was the BurgundyGlo one, unless I missed the JetGlo? Does that mean he's only using the Burgundy one? I just looked at the Tulsa video of Red Barchetta and I'm pretty sure now it's the burgundy, not the black (egad that is hard to make out, especially when all the lighting colours are either light blue or purple!). Curiouser and curiouser.

It did seem, too, from the tech's commentary that the only song Geddy's switching instruments from night to night is on Xanadu (the two doublenecks).

#34 gudbuytjane

gudbuytjane

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 858 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:44 PM

Oh, and also cool the tech mentioned the Zemaitis bass used to be owned by Bob Daisley!

#35 Gilbertk

Gilbertk

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1150 posts
  • Interests:Making music, carpentry, travel

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:59 PM

Wal by the end of the tour... Wal by the end of the tour... Wal by the end of the tour....

#36 Mieko8

Mieko8

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:13 PM

So, just so I'm clear, he is NOT playing his famous black Ricky that was his number one for so many years?  WTF?  Why isn't he playing it?  At least we got to see it for Bangcock in 2007.

#37 ctbadger

ctbadger

The Seeker

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:15 PM

I'm guessing I'm in the minority in wanting to see Ged break out the Steinberger for DEW...

#38 Mieko8

Mieko8

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:19 PM

I don't think it's sonic blue.  I think it is actually white.  His sonic blue is the one he got for the CA tour.  He played it for the Garden.

#39 78jazz

78jazz

The Seeker

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:00 AM

View PostMieko8, on 25 May 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

I don't think it's sonic blue.  I think it is actually white.  His sonic blue is the one he got for the CA tour.  He played it for the Garden.

Funny this gets mentioned, as when I first saw this bass it appeared Inca silver to me (but I have yet to see this tour and won't see the B set, so this is based off of videos).

As for the bass used on the Garden, that is surf green.

#40 The Omega Concern

The Omega Concern

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Prog!, Fitness and Nutrition, Land Surveying

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:03 AM

Great post! I was wondering how many equipment switched he had made. Geddy really looks to be enjoying himself this tour (although he looked pained by the doubleneck a few times in Tampa). I too would love to see Steiny return for DEW!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: r40, geddy, basses

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users