Top 5 Genesis Albums

tx_rush

Lamb lies down and Selling England were so inspirational for me. What makes Genesis so interesting is similar to Rush, which has the heavy guitar vs keyboard era debates. Gabriel vs Phil is so interesting. But another huge prog rock guy is Hackett. After Gabriel left, they still had a couple terrific prog rock albums, Wind and Trick with Hackett. Some of the post Hackett albums are very good, Duke comes to mind, but to hear prog rock giants start to bad mouth prog genre, that was tough. Some of the Gabriel of that era, Security and Melt, are desert island discs.

I much prefer Gabriel solo to him in Genesis.

His first 4 solo albums are wonderful.

Mick

• Like 1

1) ABBACAB

2) Trick of the Tail

3) Selling England by the Pound

4) Wind and Wurtberg

5) The lamb lies down on Broadway

nice to see a good list before the "1. duke 2. calling all stations" crowd shows up!

HAHAHAHA!!!! I don't get the greatness of "Duke." Not a fan. Now I do love "Calling All Stations" but it sure as hell isn't in my top five!

I'm weird man.

I am in love with each release from it's chronological order.

NURSERY

FOX

SELLLING

LAMB

TRICK

WIND

Have you ever seen any of the Duke material live? I find I actually prefer the live versions so much better, and they only ever played the half of the album I liked, in the form of a mini-suite of music. Anyway, luckily the BBC filmed an entire show from the 1980 tour, so there's video and audio available. The whole show is pretty cool, IMO, and the Duke material starts at 37:15 or so (on the link below). I think Chester Thompson's drumming is just so much heavier that it gives the songs an edge I prefer. Anyway, maybe you'll like it. :) Also, the version of Dance On A Volcano/Drum Duet/Los Endos from this show is one of my favourites, though in this version of the show (the BBC only aired something like 38 minutes of the show from the night before, officially, this version is a leak of unfinished video from the second night) it seems like for about half of Los Endos the camera man is pointing at the ceiling.

https://youtu.be/4ZnP6eq9kcM?t=37m14s

Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 1

Yes. I prefer that one to TSL.

The band really should officially release that but until then I have great versions of botht the vid and he soundtrack

I agree. I love that show so much, it's possibly my favourite Collins-era recording of the band. I don't think I liked "One For The Vine" before I heard that version.

(BTW, if folks are interested, The Genesis Movement has a DVD torrent of the show, and I believe it's a free download as per their ratio rules: http://torrent.genesis-movement.org/)

The Genesis Movement site is great...

...I found the BBC 1970-1972 recordings I had been searching for there.

The only thing I need is some of the extra tracks from the 1976-1982 box set.

The box set is out of print an goes for crazy money on Ebay.

• Like 1

The only thing I need is some of the extra tracks from the 1976-1982 box set.

The box set is out of print an goes for crazy money on Ebay.

Really? Hmm good thing I got em when I did. Wished I wld have got the Sectors then as well.

I feel pretty spoiled as a Genesis fan, especially as one who likes the early Collins era (76-82), there are so many great sounding soundboard and radio shows, often multiple shows from the same tour. I realized on this thread that I never listen to Three Sides Live, because there are so many better bootlegs from that era.

nice to see a good list before the "1. duke 2. calling all stations" crowd shows up!

HAHAHAHA!!!! I don't get the greatness of "Duke." Not a fan. Now I do love "Calling All Stations" but it sure as hell isn't in my top five!

I'm weird man.

I am in love with each release from it's chronological order.

NURSERY

FOX

SELLLING

LAMB

TRICK

WIND

Have you ever seen any of the Duke material live? I find I actually prefer the live versions so much better, and they only ever played the half of the album I liked, in the form of a mini-suite of music. Anyway, luckily the BBC filmed an entire show from the 1980 tour, so there's video and audio available. The whole show is pretty cool, IMO, and the Duke material starts at 37:15 or so (on the link below). I think Chester Thompson's drumming is just so much heavier that it gives the songs an edge I prefer. Anyway, maybe you'll like it. :) Also, the version of Dance On A Volcano/Drum Duet/Los Endos from this show is one of my favourites, though in this version of the show (the BBC only aired something like 38 minutes of the show from the night before, officially, this version is a leak of unfinished video from the second night) it seems like for about half of Los Endos the camera man is pointing at the ceiling.

https://youtu.be/4ZnP6eq9kcM?t=37m14s

Thanks for the link. I really look forward to checking it out. :)

• Like 1

I feel pretty spoiled as a Genesis fan, especially as one who likes the early Collins era (76-82), there are so many great sounding soundboard and radio shows, often multiple shows from the same tour. I realized on this thread that I never listen to Three Sides Live, because there are so many better bootlegs from that era.

Three sides live is finally complete. The original release was an incomplete show.

I agree with you about all of the great sounding shows out there. I've been quite spoiled by all of the shows I've found over the years.

Three sides live is finally complete. The original release was an incomplete show.

Oh, cool, I didn't know that. I'm curious, I will have to hear it. The original just felt so patchwork to me, like a live greatest hits instead of a show (much like ESL feels to me, actually). I actually prefer the setlist from the tour after TSL, in 1982 when they brought back the full Supper's Ready for the last time. I think it was the last tour they did Dance On A Volcano, too. There's an audience bootleg of their surprise show at the Marquee from 1982 that is pretty amazing.

(Genesis is one of the few bands I obsess over like I do over Rush. :) )

Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 2

Gudbuytjane...

You are so right about Genesis shows.

A few of my favs are...

Madison Square Garden - New York City - 30 September 1986

Perfect Lyceum - Live at Lyceum Ballroom - London, England - 07 May 1980

Wuthering Lights - Moody Coliseum - Dallas, Texas - 19 March 1977

BBC Sessions 1970-1972

...I was at the MSG gig, so that has special meaning to me.

Today marks the beginning of another marathon.

This one is dedicated to

Treeduck

photo-3211.gif?_r=1417468187

and

Gudbuytjane

photo-thumb-12172.jpg?_r=1392765022

Net Boys and Net Girls, it is the one and only...

http://www.rockline.si/upload/filemanager/band-photos/genesis_logo.jpg

• Like 1

Today marks the beginning of another marathon.

This one is dedicated to

Treeduck

photo-3211.gif?_r=1417468187

and

Gudbuytjane

photo-thumb-12172.jpg?_r=1392765022

Net Boys and Net Girls, it is the one and only...

http://www.rockline.si/upload/filemanager/band-photos/genesis_logo.jpg

Nice! As may have been evident by my "What are you listening to (non-Rush)" posts lately, I've been on a bit of a Genesis live show binge recently. Happy marathoning! :)

• Like 1

Watching an old Simpsons episode this weekend, and Homer made me laugh....

Homer: You know what? Apu leaving is the best thing that ever happened to this band. We're gonna be like Genesis after Peter Gabriel left.

Bart: You mean more popular but not as good?

Homer: Phil Collins-era Genesis is not as good, huh? "No Reply at All," "Land of Confusion," "Throwing it All Away," "Illegal Alien," "I Can't Dance," and I'm sure I don't need to mention "Invisible Touch"! .........Hmph!

• Like 4

Homer: You know what? Apu leaving is the best thing that ever happened to this band. We're gonna be like Genesis after Peter Gabriel left.

Homer: Phil Collins-era Genesis is not as good, huh? "No Reply at All," "Land of Confusion," "Throwing it All Away," "Illegal Alien," "I Can't Dance," and I'm sure I don't need to mention "Invisible Touch"! .........Hmph!

Wonder if Matt Groening is a G fan? :joker:

• Like 2

Wonder if Matt Groening is a G fan? :joker:

read somewhere he loves zappa and beefheart so I'm sure it's possible.

• Like 4