Most Superficial Rush Songs

savagegrace26

re: Twilight Zone: Paying tribute to a storytelling genius and one of your childhood heroes is superficial?

Not when the "storytelling" within the song itself isn't genius...

Not the best crafted lyrics...too literal. Neil's Achilles heel.
  • Like 2

re: Twilight Zone: Paying tribute to a storytelling genius and one of your childhood heroes is superficial?

Absolutely agree. One of the things I find compelling is that Neil draws a lot from literature. When he uses these influences in a more abstract way (a single quote from Shakespeare, for example, to draw a point in "Limelight"), I think he is in his element. When he uses the influences in a very literal way (building an entire song around some Oscar Wilde work in "Resist", for example), it becomes less impressive.

Sometimes he finds a nice middle ground. "The Body Electric" is pretty clearly an homage to a variety of sci-fi work. Which work(s) is debatable, but that's the fun in that one. There's some question was to whether or not he intentionally used "1-0-0-1-0-0-1" as a reference the a Capital "I" in ASCII, or if it was just a nice little lyrical play, but I tend to prefer the former theory as it completely makes sense with the notion of android becoming self-aware.

But, yeah, when he draws too literally from the work, it can be tedious. Steve Harris in Iron Maiden has the same problem. Sure, it's cool that you have rock guys with brains, but sometimes its a bit contrived. Still, I will take contrived and literal over most of the dribble out there any day...

• Like 3

marathon's like some self-help jane fonda workout crap

I'm thinking that's a joke but if not, Marathon has nothing to do with workout/sports motivation.

One Little Victory

Really?

Please explain your reason behind this choice.

Absolutely agree. One of the things I find compelling is that Neil draws a lot from literature. When he uses these influences in a more abstract way (a single quote from Shakespeare, for example, to draw a point in "Limelight"), I think he is in his element. When he uses the influences in a very literal way (building an entire song around some Oscar Wilde work in "Resist", for example), it becomes less impressive.

Sometimes he finds a nice middle ground. "The Body Electric" is pretty clearly an homage to a variety of sci-fi work. Which work(s) is debatable, but that's the fun in that one. There's some question was to whether or not he intentionally used "1-0-0-1-0-0-1" as a reference the a Capital "I" in ASCII, or if it was just a nice little lyrical play, but I tend to prefer the former theory as it completely makes sense with the notion of android becoming self-aware.

But, yeah, when he draws too literally from the work, it can be tedious. Steve Harris in Iron Maiden has the same problem. Sure, it's cool that you have rock guys with brains, but sometimes its a bit contrived. Still, I will take contrived and literal over most of the dribble out there any day...

:goodone: Well said!

marathon's like some self-help jane fonda workout crap

I'm thinking that's a joke but if not, Marathon has nothing to do with workout/sports motivation.

he was tryin to cash in on richard simmons and jane fonda, and you know it!

yeah, steve harris is great for metal standards, and when I was younger I thought he was like, the smartest person on the planet. but as I got older I realized he just rewrites books and history lessons. good enough for me, though. honestly, it seems like when the metal dudes try to write anything "deep" it just ends up cheesy and silly. there are a few exceptions, of course.

yeah, steve harris is great for metal standards, and when I was younger I thought he was like, the smartest person on the planet. but as I got older I realized he just rewrites books and history lessons. good enough for me, though. honestly, it seems like when the metal dudes try to write anything "deep" it just ends up cheesy and silly. there are a few exceptions, of course.

At least Harris owns it... his songs about books and such are usually the title of said book.... In his defense, "Lord of the Flies" is probably a little better than "This Ain't Gonna Go Well for Piggy Cuz These Kids Are Little Sh**s".

Neil sort of does the same (e.g., "Xanadu"). On the other hand "2112" isn't titled "Ayn Rand's Anthem Set to Music".

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

One Little Victory

Really?

Please explain your reason behind this choice.

Here ya go:

A certain measure of innocence

Willing to appear naive

A certain degree of imagination

A measure of make-believe

A certain degree of surrender

To the forces of light and heat

A shot of satisfaction

In a willingness to risk defeat

Celebrate the moment

As it turns into one more

Another chance at victory

Another chance to score

The measure of the moment

In a difference of degree

Just one little victory

A spirit breaking free

One little victory

The greatest act can be

One little victory

A certain measure of righteousness

A certain amount of force

A certain degree of determination

Daring on a different course

A certain amount of resistance

To the forces of the light and love

A certain measure of tolerance

A willingness to rise above

Anything listed in the 'Rush in Commercials' thread.

You mean "Rush and Commercials"?

Yes, okay, thank you- that one.

Every Rush song (or parts of them) could work in a commercial.

I vehemently disagree. But if you think of products you want to buy when you hear Rush songs, more power to you, I guess.

A more intriguing (though still bizarre) question, to my mind, is what kind of products? You know, commercials for what? Like, Pop-Tarts? Floor wax? Laxatives?

:huh:

If that's not superficial, I don't know what is.

Anything listed in the 'Rush in Commercials' thread.

You mean "Rush and Commercials"?

Yes, okay, thank you- that one.

Every Rush song (or parts of them) could work in a commercial.

I vehemently disagree. But if you think of products you want to buy when you hear Rush songs, more power to you, I guess.

A more intriguing (though still bizarre) question, to my mind, is what kind of products? You know, commercials for what? Like, Pop-Tarts? Floor wax? Laxatives?

:huh:

If that's not superficial, I don't know what is.

I guess I'll just have to prove it to you at some point

I don't understand why that is superficial...many many Rush songs have a snappy upbeat sound that could easily accompany something reasonable in a positive light. It has more to the sound of the music than the lyrical content. I disagree that it has anything to do with superficiality. If you have no clue as to what products/services....read the responses in the thread....

Edited by savagegrace26

I'm not saying I don't have a clue (am i?)...I'm just saying that suggesting Rush songs should be used to sell products is ridiculous. Again, just my opinion. I hardly think that they aspired to help Volkswagen sell cars when they wrote Fly By Night, for example. It's just kind of ridiculous, is all I'm saying.

I would venture to say that putting a Rush song in a commercial renders it superficial, automatically.

But maybe that's just me. :huh:

I'm not saying I don't have a clue (am i?)...I'm just saying that suggesting Rush songs should be used to sell products is ridiculous. Again, just my opinion. I hardly think that they aspired to help Volkswagen sell cars when they wrote Fly By Night, for example. It's just kind of ridiculous, is all I'm saying.

I would venture to say that putting a Rush song in a commercial renders it superficial, automatically.

But maybe that's just me. :huh:

I never said they should but that they could. And I don't think that automatically makes them superficial. Music is a big part of advertisement. Even movie trailers are "commercials" and some of them feature some great music but that doesn't necessarily make the music superficial.

Have you seen this Walmart commercial featuring Rush? Very professional and very well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LYI--n-tjE

• Like 1