Smartphone causing my WiFi to slow to a stop.

Aikenrooster

OK, I have a Galaxy Note 3, my wife has the new HTC 1.

The router is a Linksys 300, kind of old. The PC and the Directv receiver also use the wifi.

We live out in the country, so we only get a speed of like 3 MB/sec, which isn't too bad.

The only time we had problems was when we had Netflix, and it might buffer a couple of times in a movie. We never even had problems playing online on PS3.

But, NOW, NOW, when I connect this GN3, the router goes ape shit and no one can access the Internet, not even on the PC. If I turn off the wifi connection on this phone, then it goes back to normal.

My guess is that this phone is trying to upload to Google Cloud, as soon as I connect? Is this the problem, or do I need a new router?

I can't get ATT Uverse, or faster DSL, in my area. I'm getting the fastest Internet available.

HELP!

A heat pump is one thing this.... :blink: :wacko:

Yeah, I guess my basic question is this: if I have a set Internet speed: does it slow down regardless of my router, if multiple people are connected, or if I have a good enough router, can a lot of people connect with no problem?

more people connected, less bandwidth for each.

no matter the speed of your connection, you may need a bigger pipe. I just had to do the same, I would upgrade your router... and possibly modem. I did both.

this is the one I got...

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00F0DD0I6

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71q9o2M0ASL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

A heat pump is one thing this.... :blink: :wacko:

Yeah, I guess my basic question is this: if I have a set Internet speed: does it slow down regardless of my router, if multiple people are connected, or if I have a good enough router, can a lot of people connect with no problem?

If you have a set speed and there are multiple people/devices connected then that speed would essentially be divided up between all the users. Meaning, one user would typically experience faster speeds than multiple simultaneous users. The router shouldn't be the problem, as the speed is set by your ISP.

More people connected and using it will slow down your internet. A few things that usually work for me:

You could try turning off your router for a couple of minutes and give it a rest

Disconnecting our just turning off devices when your not using them

Check the phones settings and see if it is uploading to the cload and see if you can change it.

Hope that that's helped. :D

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 also. In my case, it was the other way round: the internet was compromised by a hacker which rendered my network provider more deader than a Dodo. Been so slo-o-o-o-o-ow for days. I don't know what's happened, but it appears to have picked up again.

Connecting should cause minimal overhead. The Galaxy must be trying to synch something. Assuming the PC is running Windows, pull up the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del and select it or Start Menu->Run... taskmgr). Click on the Networking tab. Watch what happens when you connect the Galaxy. make changes, etc. That should give you some idea.

I doubt this has anything to do with your wifi and everything to do with your Internet bandwidth. In this day and age 3MB down is not very fast . Have you done a speed test to see if you are actually getting the full 3MB down?

Not sure what you mean by Linksys 300 but if its the n300 then I definitely don't think its the WLAN or the devices. Is it this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-Including-Parental-E1200/dp/B004T9RR6I/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1/175-5759994-1855802?ie=UTF8&qid=1409707255&sr=8-1&keywords=linksys+router+n300

At my house I have three cell phones, two tablets, two laptops, two Blu-ray players and two Kindles connected to the wireless alone. I also have other PC's hard wired to the switch and nothing lags. I also have 50MB down and 20MB up Internet from my ISP.

• Like 1

I doubt this has anything to do with your wifi and everything to do with your Internet bandwidth. In this day and age 3MB down is not very fast . Have you done a speed test to see if you are actually getting the full 3MB down?

Not sure what you mean by Linksys 300 but if its the n300 then I definitely don't think its the WLAN or the devices. Is it this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-Including-Parental-E1200/dp/B004T9RR6I/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1/175-5759994-1855802?ie=UTF8&qid=1409707255&sr=8-1&keywords=linksys+router+n300

At my house I have three cell phones, two tablets, two laptops, two Blu-ray players and two Kindles connected to the wireless alone. I also have other PC's hard wired to the switch and nothing lags. I also have 50MB down and 20MB up Internet from my ISP.

Yes, I know that is dinosaur speed, but, that is the best that I can't get, our here. I've asked AT&T like 20 times to bring U-verse.

Yeah, I've tested it before and it's actually only 2.3 MB/s.

Anyway, it's not doing it, right now. I never should have tried to upload to the Google Cloud. I'm hoping that is why it went bonkers.

Go here to do a speed test: http://www.speedtest.net/

2.9 download. .9 upload. That's actually better than the PC. Thanks goodness this phone quit uploading!!!

Best bet would be to throttle the bandwidth of the phone that is sucking the bandwidth. Go to 192.168.1.1 and log into your router. Look for the list of connections and find out which is this phone (you can surf to a web page on that phone that you would never surf on any other device just to get its IP# - will be something like 192.168.1.4 or something. Then go to your bandwidth throttle area and limit its bandwidth to like 3 K per second...

more people connected, less bandwidth for each.

no matter the speed of your connection, you may need a bigger pipe. I just had to do the same, I would upgrade your router... and possibly modem. I did both.

this is the one I got...

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00F0DD0I6

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71q9o2M0ASL._SL1500_.jpg

Nice! We've got the same brand, and our stuff is lagging these days. This might be just what we need. :D