Pick a Presto song they should play next tour

Pick a Presto song they should play next tour  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which Presto song should they play?

• Show Don't Tell (last played 1994)
    • Chain Lightning (never played live)
    • The Pass (last played 2013)
    • War Paint (last played 1990)
    • Scars (last played 1990)
    • Presto (last played 2011)
    • Superconductor (last played 1992)
    • Anagram for mongo (never played live)
    • Red Tide (never played live)
    • Hand Over Fist (never played live)
    • Available Light (never played live)
    • None

It's a travesty that Chain Lightning and Available Light have never been played live. Two of their best songs, and two standouts on an otherwise average (or to me, slightly above average) effort.
  • Like 2

Available Light

For the record, I am totally cool with Geddy singing the entire song and triggering the studio vocal on just "In the available light". Kind of like Aimee Mann's vocal on Time Stands Still. That is if he can't hit it. It's a quick falsetto and not too bad but... hell he'll be 61.

Available Light would be my first choice as well, I worry about Geddy hitting that note. You sing Rush songs, do you think Geddy could hit it? I imagine he would probably just slip into his head voice if he did like he did for Camera Eye, I doubt he would do it falsetto

It's actually a high enough note that he could get some power on it falsetto and slide down through his head voice back into chest. Does he still have that? Hard to say.

Would anyone really be upset if even "In the a-" was triggered and he came in with the "vailable light"?

Or trigger the whole thing or even change just that line. It's not necessary to sing it exact but the song itself to me overflows with emotion and soul. It would be great to hear however they did that part.

I would have no issues with him triggering it. I would still go see them even if Geddy didn't sing and they just played the studio vocals
  • Like 1

It's a travesty that Chain Lightning and Available Light have never been played live. Two of their best songs, and two standouts on an otherwise average (or to me, slightly above average) effort.

Given the tragedies in Neil's life, there's no way they're playing Chain Lightning...

• Like 2

Given the tragedies in Neil's life, there's no way they're playing Chain Lightning...

Hey, a guy can dream.

• Like 1

Hmmm. I didn't realize you could pick more than one song. These new poll settings were kind of confusing.

So I pick Red Tide, Chain Lightning & Available Light then.

I guess this poll is pointless now.

So I guess maybe pick a maximum of three?

Edited by savagegrace26

What is that high note in Available light? A high D? He could probably start it low (say G) and climb, but I think since it's such a distinctive part of the song it would be kind of disappointing.

What is that high note in Available light? A high D? He could probably start it low (say G) and climb, but I think since it's such a distinctive part of the song it would be kind of disappointing.

The way I see it, if he can still do Freewill (on the TM Tour at least, even though he briefly went falsetto) he can probably do this one as well. Will it sound just like the studio version? Probably not, but it will sound fine
  • Like 2

The way I see it, if he can still do Freewill (on the TM Tour at least, even though he briefly went falsetto) he can probably do this one as well. Will it sound just like the studio version? Probably not, but it will sound fine

Maybe . . . it just seems like a lot's riding on it. Everyone's expecting it. If it went pear-shaped, it would be pretty in-yer-face.

Hopefully, they've forgotten this album was ever made.

...doesn't know if poster is serious, or not.

I do and he is...... :)
  • Like 1

I must say during my recent delve into the rush albums 87' - 07', Presto stood out to me the most. The songs, energy and sound surprised the hell out of me to be frank....... :) :codger: Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Maybe . . . it just seems like a lot's riding on it. Everyone's expecting it. If it went pear-shaped, it would be pretty in-yer-face.

His voice is VERY exposed at that part, it would be pretty scary. I would be holding my breath

I must say during my recent delve into the rush albums 87' - 07', Presto stood out to me the most. The songs, energy and sound surprised the hell out of me to be frank....... :) :codger:

Presto has some really spectacular tracks on it. It's just so lightweight from a production standpoint that it weakens the entire product.

Does Geddy play any bass on that song live?

He didn't on the Presto tour, but I hope he would if they brought it out now

Does Geddy play any bass on that song live?

He didn't on the Presto tour, but I hope he would if they brought it out now

I'm guessing that he recorded the basic parts and they put it into a keyboard sequencer or something? Because it does sound like bass . . . it sounds like him, I mean.

I chose Chain Lightning, The Pass, and Available Light.

I don't quite understand the affection for Chain Lightning. What is it about that song for you?

Hello toymaker,

My Father passed away two years ago, and the lyrics, “This moment may be brief, but it can be so bright. Reflected in another source of light… when the moment dies, the spark still flies, reflected in another pair of eyes.” are very meaningful to me. Thank you so much for taking interest and asking me; I love when people respond to my posts. :)

• Like 1

I don't quite understand the affection for Chain Lightning. What is it about that song for you?

Hello toymaker,

My Father passed away two years ago, and the lyrics, “This moment may be brief, but it can be so bright. Reflected in another source of light… when the moment dies, the spark still flies, reflected in another pair of eyes.” are very meaningful to me. Thank you so much for taking interest and asking me; I love when people respond to my posts. :)

Thanks for sharing that - I think I get so caught up in the music itself, and thinking about what I like and don't like, that I sometimes forget how powerful the words can be for some people. I think in general I should start paying more attention to the lyrics of some of the songs that I don't listen to as much! Strangely enough, I think part of the problem is that I play and write music myself, but I am a very poor lyric writer. I lost my best friend when I was 25 and I wrote some songs for him, but the lyrics are pretty raw - they're not, for lack of a better term, very poetic or "lyrical." Anyway, I will listen to that song and other songs with a renewed interest now.

• Like 1

Hello toymaker,

Thanks for sharing that - I think I get so caught up in the music itself, and thinking about what I like and don't like, that I sometimes forget how powerful the words can be for some people. I think in general I should start paying more attention to the lyrics of some of the songs that I don't listen to as much! Strangely enough, I think part of the problem is that I play and write music myself, but I am a very poor lyric writer. I lost my best friend when I was 25 and I wrote some songs for him, but the lyrics are pretty raw - they're not, for lack of a better term, very poetic or "lyrical." Anyway, I will listen to that song and other songs with a renewed interest now.

I understand, entirely - I am guilty of focusing primarily on the musical structure of a song, to the extent that the actual meaning of the song doesn’t quite register with me. I also write music (though it’s kept to myself), and I understand your statement in reference to composing lyrics… I have attempted to write lyrics, but they just... are not all that great. :unsure:

Hello toymaker,

I understand, entirely - I am guilty of focusing primarily on the musical structure of a song, to the extent that the actual meaning of the song doesn’t quite register with me. I also write music (though it’s kept to myself), and I understand your statement in reference to composing lyrics… I have attempted to write lyrics, but they just... are not all that great. :unsure:

Well . . . make sure you share your music at some point. It's a wonderful cure for loneliness when you share something you have made and someone else listens. As for lyrics, I hope that someday I'll figure out the craft of it. I have a handful of lines that I'm proud of, so maybe the rest will come in time. Actually, I love talking about this stuff, and have wondered if there is a forum somewhere that allows people to encourage each other!

Sorry to get off topic. I can't even remember what this thread is right now...