The mp3 player shuffle challenge

Word magazine have a "What's on your iPod?" feature with guests, so why don't we play too?.

If you've got an mp3 player (iPod, Creative Zen, iRiver, whatever), put it on shuffle mode, then list and comment on the first five tracks that play.

Here's mine from this afternoon -

1. Rush - Mr Soul : I've always enjoyed Neil Young since one of our more progressive teachers taught my primary class to sing After The Goldrush when we were 11 in 1975. The inclusion of two Buffalo Springfield tracks on Feedback was a big bonus to me, and the boys do a fine job on both IMO.

2. Rory Gallagher - Who's That Coming? : This is a version from his 1974 Irish Tour album. Rory died 10 years ago last month, and while U2 and Thin Lizzy are the best known Irish musical exports of recent times, there's a very persuasive argument that Rory was the best we ever produced. I wasn't in the least bit surprised last year when Geddy and Alex were asked to comment on bands they supported in the early days, Rory was mentioned as someone who always encouraged them and treated them well. A legend.

3. Hamell On Trial - Detroit Lullaby : Ed Hamell is a Syracuse NY based bald singer songwriter who stands on stage with just a battered acoustic guitar and makes more noise than most groups. The epitome of the DIY punk ethic, he is funny, angry, poignant and a compelling storyteller. This is the uncharacteristically (spelling??) gentle closing track from his 2003 "Tough Love" album, pledging to protect his new born baby from all the bad in the world for as long as possible.

4. Dead Can Dance - Saldek : With an eerie Eastern vocal from Lisa Gerrard, this Turkish influenced piece is about as typical of DCD as you can get. I was turned onto them a few years ago by a mate of mine. Very much late night music a lot of the time, it's thought provoking and different.

5. Spock's Beard - Listening To The Sky : I got into SB through my involvement in the CD Exchange on Counterparts. A group of us basically put compilations of our favourite stuff together and each of us send copies of our comps to the others in the group. A few members included Spock's Beard in their comps, I bought this year's album 'Octane', and now there's a back catelogue to investigate. This is an instrumental from the bonus disc, not the best track by any means.

While writing, the artists that have cropped up while the shuffle continues have included Beck, Interpol, REM and Manu Chao. Especially when there's a lot on your player, shuffle is a great way of rediscovering stuff you wouldn't necessarily go straight for.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EXCELLENT IDEA!!

What's been happening on my Creative Zen?

10,000 Maniacs - You Happy Puppet from Blind Man's Zoo. This CD's main memories are tied to a week long vacation I took with a friend of mine down to Maryland where a friend of ours lived. I was 20, I think. This CD was played constantly during that trip, and the memories go hand in hand with the songs. Also HUGE from that week was the movie Coming To America which was watched about 100 times, Peter Frampton's Do You Feel Like We Do from one smoke filled evening at this awesome dude's house we hung out at, and Kings Dominion - a kick ass amusement park in Richmond, VA.

Pat Benatar - Diamond Field from Tropico. This is one of my favorite albums from her. She finally had enough of caving into the record company's demands of more Angry Chick tunes and the result was this recording. The first five tracks are amongst her all time best - ESPECIALLY tracks 3, 4, and 5.

R.E.M. - Drive from "I have no idea what from". I don't own much R.E.M. I borrowed this CD from my neighbor across the street last month and burned this track. It's a great song which I am into more today, than when it was originally released.

All The Love - The Outfield from Play Deep. There is only one reason this album stays with me. The memories tied to it. It was released shortly before I graduated high school in 1986. Just after graduation, a boat load of us rented a beach house in Seaside Heights, NJ and spent the week getting sun burned, getting wasted, and getting laid. This "cassette" seemed to be playing at everyone's houses we partied at, including ours. I keep this CD loaded into my MP3 player because I can smell the suntan oil, feel the heat off the sand, and remember Joyce - the hot blonde I hooked up with one night. Actually, it was more than one night. Maybe that's why I remember her name 19 years later. laugh.gif

Photographs And Memories - Jim Croce. Not much to write about this one. Other than to say it's Jim Croce, and his music will always be with me. Always.

Is This Love - Bob Marley It's Summer. Can't get through Summer without a little Bob Marley.

Seven And Seven Is - Rush My least favorite from Feedback. Still.... a good song, and worthy of a listen when in shuffle mode.

Witch Hunt - Rush AHHHH A double play from The Boys.

Ooops I just realized I blew past 5 tracks, so I'll stop. Others that played afterward???

Wish You Were Here - Incubus

She Gathers Rain - Collective Soul

There's Another Side - RTZ (Featuring Brad Delp from Boston)

Put Your Dreams Away - Frank Sinatra (I'm Italian - Sinatra's like family)

From The Beginning - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer (My MP3 player seems to like this song, lately. Which is a good thing, because so do I).

Changing - The Fixx (one of my favorite bands from the 80's).

Tuesday Afternoon - The Moody Blues

Outside The Rain - Stevie Nicks wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif (One of my favorites from her)

1. Medeski Martin Wood - Henduck This is the fifth track off the famed bass-drum-organ trio's Shack-Man (1996) album. It is not the greatest example of their work; the songs tend to be very simple, gritty blues, sometimes based on only one riff. "Henduck," however, is a more experimental song which features Chris Wood playing acoustic bass.

2. Innocence Faded - Dream Theater This is the second track of the Awake (1994) album. It is a good example of "happy" (but not go-lucky) Dream Theater. Unfortunately, it is also an example of tasteless keyboard sounds, over-compressed percussion, and possibly the most aggravating vocals James Labrie has ever performed. The entire song is somewhere between Cornerstone (1979) era Styx, Rush, and typical early-Dream Theater work.

3. Hunting Girl - Jethro Tull The live version of the Songs From the Wood (1977) original, released on Bursting Out (1978). It displays Tull's immense capabilities live - Ian Anderson's flute plays with the same vicous flutter tongue and airy tone as is captured in the studio. Barriemore Barlow's drumming talent is presented in full glory, his chops fully evident through the double bass work and complex tom rolls. Anderson's vocals are on exact key, and Martin Barre's fabulous guitar work (which had great influence on the music of Kansas) is as true to studio quality as Anderson's flute, and both use improvisation in the music (Barre to a lesser degree - one whole track on the album is flute improvisation).

4. Boat On the River - Styx The eastern-European folk-twinged song from the Cornerstone (1979) album is a Styx classic and one of the most unique and enjoyable tunes of their entire catalogue. Composed by Tommy Shaw, it features Shaw performing mandolin, supported by an accordian, Dennis DeYoung's melodic backing vocals, and electric bass. Highly recommended!

5. Moving in My Heart - Neal Morse Infamous for its Christian content, Neal Morse's Testimony (2003) still stands as a critically-acclaimed fan favorite. "Moving in My Heart" is one of the cheesier tunes on the album, the lyrics being somewhat unwitty . . . Aside from this, it is brilliant melodic work typical of Spock's Beard, with a returning theme from earlier in the album, a synth lead, and Mike Portnoy on drums.

The songs after this were I Wish You Would by Train (Drops of Jupiter 2001) and Master's Apprentice by Opeth (Deliverance 2002).

Stryper - To Hell With the Devil - Arguably the greatest hit of one of the more prominent christian bands to come out of the 80's. I'm still just getting into Stryper, but this song rocks.

Iced Earth - Attila - Song from the IE album "The Glorious Burden." If you can't guess from the title, it's about Attila the Hun. Nice 80's inspired guitar riffs and fast double bass. OK vocals from former Judas Priest frontman, Tim Owens. IE will never have as good a vocalist as Matt Barlow anymore.

Kamelot - Don't You Cry - Beautiful accoustic ballad by American/Norwegian power metal band, Kamelot. Written by guitarist Thomas Youngblood, the song is about his experience after his father died when he was a boy. Singer Roy Khan's vocals capture the mood of the song perfectly. The addition to a violin quartet is a nice piece as well.

Iced Earth - The Devil to Pay - 12 Minute long epic about the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg. Song starts off with bagpipes and a drum corps playing The Star Spangled Banner with a banjo plucking "Dixie" away. Then cannon fire strikes with singer Tim Owens comming in with the words "In July, 1863, A nation torn in tradgedy. A struck of fate, two great armies merge. Gods of war at Gettysburg. Devastation lies ahead; 50,000 bodies litter the land. Hell raises, sweep for days. The reaper sows. There's a Devil to Pay!" The listener is then treated to a tribute to that classic 80's melodic metal. The inclusion of musket fire to signify the death of Union General John Reynolds is a nice addition as well. Again, the vocals are a little lacking, but the song overall is a really nice, historical piece.

Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy Power Metal at it's finest. Khan's vocals are absolutly flawless. Drummer Casey Grillo showcases his speed with this song as his feet are like machine guns.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 25 2005, 07:42 PM)
Does my collection on Media Player count or is it strictly mp3's?

That's cool - The idea is it's a random selection thrown up by the machine. It's an interesting way of listening to music.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jul 25 2005, 11:07 AM)
Stryper - To Hell With the Devil - Arguably the greatest hit of one of the more prominent christian bands to come out of the 80's. I'm still just getting into Stryper, but this song rocks.

1022.gif

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Jul 25 2005, 07:41 PM)

1022.gif

Yes i must agree. A grade a Tune 1022.gif

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Jul 25 2005, 09:02 PM)

1022.gif

I haven't heard that song in over 15 years. My friend owned the cassette and we used to listen to it all the time.

I think my iTunes would count, don't you?

1. You Got No Right - Velvet Revolver, "Contriband". A good cd, but for some reason I got burned out on it very quickly. This is one of the better songs from it.

2. YYZ/Drum Solo - A Digital Forum bootleg. ohmy.gif biggrin.gif They play YYZ on this like a bunch o' thrash metal dudes - super mega fast. 1022.gif

3. Walk Out on Me - Deaf Pedestrians. This is a band out of Dallas. Sounds a little too much like The Toadies to me, but good, fun mindless rock. (He just sang "Smoke a bowl...." unsure.gif )

4. Nice to Know You - Incubus, "Morning View". One of my all-time favorite cd's. Brandon Boyd's voice is like buttah! And their lyrics are great.

5. Red Barchetta - Spirit of Radio City bootleg. Again... ohmy.gif biggrin.gif It's cool to hear EVERYONE in the crowd singing along. And, Alex plays flawlessly. Geddy's bass at the end.... OMG!!!! wacko.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jul 26 2005, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Jul 25 2005, 09:02 PM)

1022.gif

I haven't heard that song in over 15 years. My friend owned the cassette and we used to listen to it all the time.

Well, I can send it to ya if you'd like to hear it again, Pags.

U2- Peace On Earth- I don't listen to this song often, but I like it. Very emotional.

U2- I Will Follow- Very energetic song, I love the guitar in this one.

Rush- Lock And Key- My fav from HYF, great solo.

Rush- The Camera Eye- Must I explain?

Rush- The Spirit Of Radio- I have other bands saved on my computer, honestly! unsure.gif

This is tonight's iTunes "Party Shuffle"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/madra/Shuffle.jpg

The Doors - Indian Summer : Not my favourite song from Morrison Hotel, but a good track nonetheless.

Rush - War Paint : Always been one of my Top Ten Rush songs, sometimes a song connects the first time you hear it, and this one clicked with me right away.

Dead Can Dance - Garden Of Arcane Delights (Carnival Of Light) : I love this band. Esoteric music for late night listening.

Radiohead - Punch Up At A Wedding : Hail To The Thief is not my favourite Radiohead album, but this is a good track. It's an album that demands an investment of time and effort, but it's an investment that guarantees a good return.

Rush - The Trees : Living where I do, I've always interpreted this song in a way that would probably horrify Neil. He may not have meant it to be an allegorical representation of specific events, but it makes perfect sense to me.

Edit to say that Jinx Lennon is an idiosynchratic singer songwriter from County Louth waging a one man campaign against Drug Slugs and Energy Vampires. Feed Of Drink actually mentions Rush, but it's the Dublin suburb he's talking about.

Mono Band is the name used by Cranberries guitarist Noel Hogan for his solo project released this year.

Opeth - By the Pain I See in Others

One of my favourite bands... Opeth. A very heavy prog metal band with some death metal-style vocals. Clean vocals too of course... 13:50. Most of their songs are over 10 minutes long. I love them.

Tool - [silence]

Geez, how fun. One of many silent tracks on Tool's "Undertow".

Heart - Shell Shock

Woot! I love this song!! SHELL SHOCK! S-SHELL SHOCK!! From Heart's Self-Titled album... incredible track.

Dave Matthews Band - [silence]

****in' itunes! The second of two albums I have with a large amount of silent tracks. DMB's "Under the Table and Dreaming". Fantabulous (real word!! Check Webster online!) album, many tracks that I actually sing along to (which is rare). This, unfortunatly, isn't one of them.

Rush - Dreamline (Rio)

One of my favourite Rush tunes... Especially lyrically. I just picked up the RtB studio album, but I've listened to this live version so many times... I love it.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 26 2005, 07:44 AM)
4. Nice to Know You - Incubus, "Morning View". One of my all-time favorite cd's. Brandon Boyd's voice is like buttah! And their lyrics are great.

Nice one!

Group X - Ididoth- One of the only semi serious songs by this "arabian rap group" its more of a rock song, they are also from america. I really like the bass line in this song, and the lyrics are genius. Other than that this song doesn't have much going for it.

Dream on- Areosmith Probably my favorite aerosmith song of all time. The guitar is dreamy. The vocal performance compliments the music so well. Its just one of those songs you like to listen to while driving around on a sunday evening.

Nirvana-Rape Me Not so big on this tune, it is essentially just a slowed down version of "Teen Spirit" but much better than that song. The lyrics are so dark and they clash with the light guitar work, but in a good way.

Hey Kid- Ataris This songs just cool, steel rat will deny it up and down but this song rocks. I really like the lyrics, basically telling people to drop the bitchy attitudes and deal with it. Real cool sound in the verses.

99 Red Ballons (punk Cover)- Goldfinger actually have been studying this song lately for the band. Usually when a band does a punk cover it usually comes out sounding worse than the original, but in this song it is much better than the original. Really good bass work, and guitar work, and some fancy drummin'. solid song to skate to.

Hayseed Dixie - Have A Drink On Me : COuntry and bluegrass versions of AC/DC and other rock classics. You either love this or hate it. I'm in the 'love' camp myself. I'd love to hear their take on Rush!!. ( ohmy.gif Stop throwing bricks at me)

Flower Kings - Pipes Of Peace : Just over a minute long, this is a nice piece played on what appears to be a church organ. From the 'Scanning The Greenhouse' album.

XTC - Bungalow : From the Nonsuch album, the first of their "comeback" albums, the less quirky side of XTC shows through on this excellent track. I don't believe they ever got the credit they deserved, many pigeonhole them as a novelty band, when the reality goes much deeper than that.

The Pixies - Bone Machine : An early slice of Pixies brilliance with Black Francis and Kim Deal laying a wonderful vocal over some inspired playing.

Spock's Beard - Onomatopoeia : Kick off track from the Feel Euphoria album. Hearing this through a CD exchange with some members of Counterparts is going to prove a very costly musical pleasure by the time I've bought all the albums.

I have a smaller library on this computer... so let's do it again!

Rush-Tom Sawyer

Pink Floyd-Wish you were here(their best IMHO)

Franz Ferdinand- Darts of Pleasure (These guys are great, I love thie CD and I am eagerly awaiting teh next one!)

Dream Theater- Pull me under (I'm not much of a fan but I like this song)

Deep Purple- Speed King (These guys got me into classic rock)

Nightwish - Dark Chest of Wonder (Great song... I MUST GET ONCE!!!)

Incubus - Echo (Means a lot to me...)

Porcupine Tree - Shallow (One of my favourites from the album Deadwing)

Journey - Ask the Lonely (I just have Journey's greatest hits album. This is my favourite song from it)

Rush - Natural Science (Rio) ((I'm sure you know about this song already...))

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 3 2005, 12:36 PM)
I've added a bunch of music, so I'll try this again:

Rush- New World Man
U2- Stuck In A Moment You can't Get Out Of
The Guess Who- Share The Land
Rush- Fly By Night
Rush- Force Ten

Well, at least 1 song wasn't either Rush or U2.... unsure.gif

laugh.gif invisi!

1. Lazarus - Porcupine Tree, "Deadwing." I'm so into Porcupine Tree right now. They're so interesting to listen to. The sound runs the musical spectrum, from techno to hard guitars to ballad-ish. And their drummer is freaking amazing!

2. Invisible Sun - The Police, "Ghost in the Machine." Definitely my favorite Police tune.

3. I Think I'm Going Bald - confused13.gif don't know where this came from or who it is. ph34r.gif

4. Brain Damage - Pink Floyd, "Dark Side of the Moon." When I was a kid I would play this, sing along, and my dad would say it gave him the creeps. biggrin.gif

5. Home on the Strange - Geddy Lee, "My Favorite Headache." I just got this ( wub.gif Pheen), so I haven't really had the chance to let it sink in. It's different.

Archived