What is Prog?

Cygnus 2112

What defines progressive music? I like a bunch of prog bands like Yes, Rush, Dream Theater and Opeth. When I tell people that I like progressive music, they ask what prog is. What's the easiest way to explain prog?

Rock outside the box.

Prog bands use fresh approaches to using instruments, song structures, album themes, lyrics, time signatures, etc. They often explore sounds from genres besides blues, especially folk, jazz and classical.

Atypical song structures, focus on technicality, instruments uncommon to rock music.

Though I'd argue that "Prog Music" is more of a movement than it is an actual genre. Take a band like

(Song in link is "Mother Man"), who plays extremely technical and complicated death metal with slight tinges of jazz-fusion (Though their songs are usually no more than 4-5 minutes, the structures are definitely not your usual pop rock affair). Now, take Yes or King Crimson. They sound nothing alike. I mean, you'd never know they were even somewhat in the same genre if you heard Mother Man by Atheist and then listened to Close to the Edge by Yes or One More Red Nightmare by King Crimson.

That's why I've always considered "progressive" a movement more-so than an actual genre.

• Like 3

Some even argue Justin Timberlake is the latest in prog evolution. I don't like him, but his last album had aspects of the progressive "movement", at least enough for me to be partially in agreement.

I like the quote I heard in the recent Peart interview regarding "hooks" in songs..

"we're not trying to catch fish!" -Geddy Lee

That's prog baby!

• Like 1

Prog is often-times a pretentious, gaudy, wank fest of musicians trying to be complex by playing really screwed up time signatures.

And it's awesome.

Prog is often-times a pretentious, gaudy, wank fest of musicians trying to be complex by playing really screwed up time signatures.

And it's awesome.

I've never heard Prog described as a w*** fest before..! :o

And it's awesome.

I've described certain things as musical masturbation. Because it can be! (Not an insult.)

And it's awesome.

I've described certain things as musical masturbation. Because it can be! (Not an insult.)

Yes you just have to listen to a Steve Vai album! :guitar:

Only the god damn best genre in music .

I love Prog .

Woody Allen once described his Comedy films .

"When you do comedy your not sat at the grown up`s table ."

Prog is the grown up`s table .