The Official QUADROPHENIA Thread

Lorraine

What is popular music and what is "my" music.

I understand that because that is what I was like - then and now.

Very few people I knew back then liked this album. Frankly, I'm surprised at how many here like it.

the bold is what surprises me

LOVE LOVE THIS ALBUM All songs written by Pete Townshend unless specified otherwise.

I saw The Who in Philly 73 on the "Fallout Shelter Tour" ( Quad tour ). Slept out all night to get tickets and we were in row 15. L O U D

... My fave songs

The Real Me

Is it in my Head

The Dirty Jobs

Sea and Sand ( Pete's guitar is chilling )

Philly sounded like this... ( this youtube post states from Philly April 1973, I don't think The Who played Quad in the states until late in the year... I could be wrong )

• Like 1

Custom, I'm not called the Dial up Diva for nothing. Unfortunately, having dial up prevents me from watching this. If I attempt to load it, I will get between five to seven seconds of the video per minute, and there is no guarantee that it will load the whole thing.

But I take your word for it. ;) ;)

I think though that tomorrow I will give it a try. It's too good to not at least try and load it. Even if I don't get the entire song, I can take yet another stroll down the memory lane.

If you find any more from that tour (or the Quadrophenia tour - especially any from Madison Square Garden which is where I saw them in '74), please post them.

Edited by Lorraine

What is popular music and what is "my" music.

I understand that because that is what I was like - then and now.

Very few people I knew back then liked this album. Frankly, I'm surprised at how many here like it.

the bold is what surprises me

It's true. My friend who went to Georgetown was the one that told me to get the album. He was the one that had gotten me into The Who to begin with. Outside of him, and the young man who sold me the album and didn't stop raving about it, I didn't know anyone else.

Custom, I'm not called the Dial up Diva for nothing. Unfortunately, having dial up prevents me from watching this. If I attempt to load it, I will get between five to seven seconds of the video per minute, and there is no guarantee that it will load the whole thing.

I think though that tomorrow I will give it a try. It's too good to not at least try and load it. Even if I don't get the entire song, I can take yet another stroll down the memory lane.

If you find any more from that tour (or the Quadrophenia tour - especially any from Madison Square Garden which is where I saw them in '74), please post them.

Just curious Lorraine.... Can you see pics posted by folks? I would feel bad if you never saw my handsome face.... :unsure:
  • Like 1

Okay, I'm home now and I can respond better than I could on my phone. :)

This album came along at a real pivotal time in my life. The Who was the start of my delving into the "bad boy rock." Heavier guitars, raspy vocals, and wild bass. John Entwistle along with Geddy are the two biggest reasons I play bass. Such inspiration, but I digress. :) Tommy was a cool concept album and paved the way for Quadrophenia. But Tommy/Quadrophenia is like The Beatles HELP album in comparison to Abbey Road. Hard to believe it's the same group. I love the storyline to this album. I think most of us that were young when this album came out can related to the sense of isolation that Jimmy feels. Thinking about the album now and how his personality was broken into the 4 members of the group, does anyone think Jimmy really had a multiple personalities or was he just misunderstood?

• Like 1

Hey Lorraine, I saw them in '75. I think I got permanent ear drum damage from that concert. My ears were ringing for days afterwards and I wasn't even right up by the stage.

• Like 3

Just curious Lorraine.... Can you see pics posted by folks? I would feel bad if you never saw my handsome face.... :unsure:

Not to worry, Narpski. My eyes feast upon your handsome face on a daily basis! (I can't get my emoticons to work - I would post an appropriate one or two if I could [wink]).

• Like 1

Okay, I'm home now and I can respond better than I could on my phone. :)

This album came along at a real pivotal time in my life. The Who was the start of my delving into the "bad boy rock." Heavier guitars, raspy vocals, and wild bass. John Entwistle along with Geddy are the two biggest reasons I play bass. Such inspiration, but I digress. :) Tommy was a cool concept album and paved the way for Quadrophenia. But Tommy/Quadrophenia is like The Beatles HELP album in comparison to Abbey Road. Hard to believe it's the same group. I love the storyline to this album. I think most of us that were young when this album came out can related to the sense of isolation that Jimmy feels. Thinking about the album now and how his personality was broken into the 4 members of the group, does anyone think Jimmy really had a multiple personalities or was he just misunderstood?

Misunderstood. Trust me.

Hey Lorraine, I saw them in '75. I think I got permanent ear drum damage from that concert. My ears were ringing for days afterwards and I wasn't even right up by the stage.

I wore my official white "Quadrophenia Tour 1974" t shirt until it shredded, so proud of it I was, but not that anyone other than myself was impressed by the fact that I had been to the concert.

In those days, I didn't care where I sat at a concert. We took so much for granted. It never occurred to me that I wouldn't always have either the opportunity or the money to go to one, or that these groups weren't immortal. I thought they'd never die and that I would never really get old.

If I could go back, nothing short of the first row would do.

• Like 1

Not to worry, Narpski. My eyes feast upon your handsome face on a daily basis! (I can't get my emoticons to work - I would post an appropriate one or two if I could [wink]).

:blush: :)
  • Like 1

This is not the video, this sound from the show. I too was at the MSG show in 1974... Can't remember which date... I went to college in Trenton NJ so I had Philly and NYC within easy reach for concerts :codger: and the took advantage of my location.

• Like 1

I wore my official white "Quadrophenia Tour 1974" t shirt until it shredded, so proud of it I was, but not that anyone other than myself was impressed by the fact that I had been to the concert.

In those days, I didn't care where I sat at a concert. We took so much for granted. It never occurred to me that I wouldn't always have either the opportunity or the money to go to one, or that these groups weren't immortal. I thought they'd never die and that I would never really get old.

If I could go back, nothing short of the first row would do.

Oh same here, but I'd wear some ear plugs. When you're young you think you'll live forever. Who would have thought that Moonie would be dead a few years after that. I went with several of my friends and our moms took us. (they wouldn't let us go otherwise) I remember my mom telling me that one of my friends moms telling her that this must be what hell was like. I always thought she was a wuss. :LOL:

• Like 1

This is not the video, this sound from the show. I too was at the MSG show in 1974... Can't remember which date... I went to college in Trenton NJ so I had Philly and NYC within easy reach for concerts :codger: and the took advantage of my location.

You went to Trenton State? A friend of mine went there. She graduated in '76.

Video or sound, same difference - five to seven seconds per minute.

I can't remember the date of the concert, but it was the summer. We got our tickets from a scalper in front of the Garden desperate to sell them. Golden Earring was the opening band. I loved them so much I ran out the next day and bought the album.

Edited by Lorraine

You went to Trenton State? A friend of mine went there. She graduated in '76.

Video or sound, same difference - five to seven seconds per minute.

I can't remember the date of the concert, but it was the summer. We got our tickets from a scalper in front of the Garden desperate to sell them. Golden Earring was the opening band. I loved them so much I ran out the next day and bought the album.

I went to Rider College ( now Rider University ) and graduated in 1977. Rider is on the outskirts of Trenton in a town called Lawrenceville NJ.

Golden Earring... do you have their double live album from 1977 ? Wonderful.

Quadrophenia .

Why is it the best Rock Album ever .

Note I say Rock album , that kinda narrows it down a bit .

But it is a Concept album .

And on top of all that is there a track you skip now you have the technology to miss a track with a press of a button . No

If you were very lucky to here this album when you had left the tortuous last days of School behind and you were dropped into a world were a job and a Working class background had you fighting for a steady job and a crowd to fit in and coming from a poor family background with a poor education you had to look for something to inspire you .

Quadrophenia .

There were albums around , but they just told you to go out and Rock and Roll , find Love , Drugs , and party at weekends .

Quadrophenia was something more .

I guess the album is like a painting , it has different aspects to different people , but this album connects to you when you are a Teenager .

The Album .

A Gatesleeved album , with a cover of a Mod on his Scooter , inside a black and white montarge of the story of the the Mod and as you read the lyrics you get drawn into the whole concept and Townshend takes you into a world that could well be anyone of that age and he is telling you that he is living what we all crave for .

To fit in .

The Music .

The album is four musicians at there top of there game .

Townsend set out to make this an album with four parts so we could get each musician with their creative know how to amke sure that they didn`t just go through the motions of making a band album .

Daltrey

The finest singing of any Rock singer on any album , when you listen to it you almost believe Daltrey is living the part .

Entwistle .

At the time he is one of the best Bass players around and he brings that perfect quarter to the album

Moon .

Once again , his finest moment with The Who and at the end of the album , the drum being smashed to pieces you can almost hear the cymbles rolling across the floor .

Then you have Bell Boy .

Again like Daltrey you believe he is the lad dragging the bleedin baggage out .

Townshend .

His genius songwriting and arragements on this album are just too perfect .

Guitar playing is his best for me on this album .

It`s hard to put in words how this album affects you when you listen to it , all I know I will never hear anything better .

The best album ever made .

• Like 4

Quadrophenia .

Why is it the best Rock Album ever .

Note I say Rock album , that kinda narrows it down a bit .

But it is a Concept album .

And on top of all that is there a track you skip now you have the technology to miss a track with a press of a button . No

If you were very lucky to here this album when you had left the tortuous last days of School behind and you were dropped into a world were a job and a Working class background had you fighting for a steady job and a crowd to fit in and coming from a poor family background with a poor education you had to look for something to inspire you .

Quadrophenia .

There were albums around , but they just told you to go out and Rock and Roll , find Love , Drugs , and party at weekends .

Quadrophenia was something more .

I guess the album is like a painting , it has different aspects to different people , but this album connects to you when you are a Teenager .

The Album .

A Gatesleeved album , with a cover of a Mod on his Scooter , inside a black and white montarge of the story of the the Mod and as you read the lyrics you get drawn into the whole concept and Townshend takes you into a world that could well be anyone of that age and he is telling you that he is living what we all crave for .

To fit in .

The Music .

The album is four musicians at there top of there game .

Townsend set out to make this an album with four parts so we could get each musician with their creative know how to amke sure that they didn`t just go through the motions of making a band album .

Daltrey

The finest singing of any Rock singer on any album , when you listen to it you almost believe Daltrey is living the part .

Entwistle .

At the time he is one of the best Bass players around and he brings that perfect quarter to the album

Moon .

Once again , his finest moment with The Who and at the end of the album , the drum being smashed to pieces you can almost hear the cymbles rolling across the floor .

Then you have Bell Boy .

Again like Daltrey you believe he is the lad dragging the bleedin baggage out .

Townshend .

His genius songwriting and arragements on this album are just too perfect .

Guitar playing is his best for me on this album .

It`s hard to put in words how this album affects you when you listen to it , all I know I will never hear anything better .

The best album ever made .

:ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :ebert: :clap: :clap: :yes:

I would have loved to be with the recording engineer when it was all being put together.

I would also have loved to be with them the first time they all heard the final cut of the album before it was pressed.

Thanks, By-Tor!

• Like 1

Thanks Lorraine . :)

Thats was a short reply , I could of gone on and on .

A tough question to throw in the mix .

What is your favourite Track ?

There were albums around, but they just told you to go out and Rock and Roll, find Love, Drugs, and party at weekends. Quadrophenia was something more .

Quadophenia was much, much more. It demanded that you FEEL.....

Feel the confusion, the pain, the lust, the passion, the regrets, the rage, and ultimately, the LOVE that the young man felt roaring thru him every single day. His troubles with drugs, with "fitting in", and with his own emotions were manifested in every line of Townshend's uber-intimate lyrics and his magnificently orchestral rock music.

From the first sounds of the ocean to the last crashing notes of Love Reign O'er Me, we FEEL the storm raging inside him. Very, very few rock albums have made the audience experience such raw emotions. Quadrophenia may be the best of them all.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 4

Thanks Lorraine . :)

Thats was a short reply , I could of gone on and on .

A tough question to throw in the mix .

What is your favourite Track ?

I wish you would go on and on. I've wanted to be able to talk to someone about this album for decades. I could on and on too.

My favorite track - that's hard. There's something about each song that I love - if not especially the music, then the lyrics. I love the instrumentals - I love the way the Rock goes into Love Reign O'er Me. Some songs I like for their strength and harshness; others for their soothing effect.

By the way, is that what that noise is at the end of that song? Keith smashing his drums? I feel so sorry for that guy. Not sure what exactly was wrong with him. He had so much to live for.

Anyway, I like the way the song ends on a discordant note - an off key. For me, it has meaning. I don't know if Pete intended it to.

• Like 1

I used to especially love to sing the line "But thank God I ain't old" because I honestly was thankful that I wasn't old. I don't know how Pete feels about that line today, but for me, it's enough to make me cry because I remember so vividly being happy I wasn't then what I am now.

Where were you people forty years ago?

:LOL:

1974: I was in 7th grade.....held hostage in a Catholic elementary school, lucky to get my hands on a K-Tel record album (with two dozen edited pop hits), and spending most of my free time pretending I was Johnny Bench at the ball field down the street. Little did I know that The Who, Led Zeppelin, RUSH and many other magical artists were just a few years away.....waiting for me to come and be enlightened...... :notworthy: :D

• Like 2