Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album?

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album (115 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think of Permanent Waves as a 70s album or an 80s album

1. Yes - every part of the album was started and finished in the 1970s. (37 votes [32.17%])

Percentage of vote: 32.17%

2. Yes - it is more like the prog era music than the synth era music (23 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. No - it was released on Jan 1, 1980, and I'm a stickler for details (29 votes [25.22%])

Percentage of vote: 25.22%

4. No - it is more like the synth era music than the prof era music (26 votes [22.61%])

Percentage of vote: 22.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#301 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Rush, Art (painting/pencils) and Art History, US politics, Football (Soccer) and most Sports, Reading Non-fiction, Rock Music, Cats

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:28 PM

I'm aligned with you on this as those three songs could sit very snugly on AFTK, they're real moody and smart like Hemispheres (CttH very different!) - for me, PW is like "total Rush", sandwiched in the middle of Hemispheres and the markedly different style of MP.

Sponsored Post

#302 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1071 posts
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:39 PM

It was actually released on Jan. 14th of 1980 according to wikipedia.

Anyway, imo it's much closer in sound to Moving Pictures than to Hemispheres. It was definitely a step in a different direction even though it was still rooted in classic prog for the most part(but without the side long epics). The real change in sound happened on Signals which while still proggy was even more synth and new wave influenced. Permanent Waves has some new wave influence but it sounds mostly still prog influenced(at least to me).

Edited by New_World_Man, 15 March 2019 - 04:42 PM.

#303 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

The Seeker

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:25 PM

^^^ That's the way I see it, too. Signals was the first record in a string of four that came to be known as keyboard era Rush and it's quite a bit different from anything Rush did before it. It was such a ballsy overhaul in sound and style, (and right after the uber successful MP, no less) that it's in Neil Young and Todd Rundgren territory in terms of saying, "f**k what we were doing before, here's what we're doing now. Take it or leave it."

#304 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Rush, Art (painting/pencils) and Art History, US politics, Football (Soccer) and most Sports, Reading Non-fiction, Rock Music, Cats

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:29 PM

View PostThree Eyes, on 16 March 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

^^^ That's the way I see it, too. Signals was the first record in a string of four that came to be known as keyboard era Rush and it's quite a bit different from anything Rush did before it. It was such a ballsy overhaul in sound and style, (and right after the uber successful MP, no less) that it's in Neil Young and Todd Rundgren territory in terms of saying, "f**k what we were doing before, here's what we're doing now. Take it or leave it."
Hadn't really thought about it before but yeah, `82-`87 was Neil Young`s totally different style era too. Rush had very different reasons though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users