CygnusGal

I prefer Marmite to Vegemite. One of the few things I really miss now that I don't eat bread is toast with butter and Marmite. Now I put butter and Marmite on rice instead. Yum!

Marmite also works very well as a seasoning for stews and broths (and chilis!). Love the stuff!

• Like 1

You know, I have only ever seen one jar of vegemite in the store. This one, by Kraft:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Vegemite.jpg

Why in the world would someone buy yeast extract? I thought yeast extract was bad? Why else would they make Monistat?

Edited by ILSnwdog
  • Like 2

You know, I have only ever seen one jar of vegemite in the store. This one, by Kraft:

Why in the world would someone buy yeast extract? I thought yeast extract was bad? Why else would they make Monistat?

yet another reason you should be president...funny stuff.

yet another reason you should be president...funny stuff.

My State Of The Union Address would have a two drink minimum. :)

Wow, that chili looks great!! Even that bay leaf would be tasty!! I'm not surprised about the cocoa / chocolate deal in chili. And, cinnamon too... I think those are actually traditional Mexican flavour combinations??? Not sure...

The earliest known recipe for "Cincinnati chili" is Macedonian, and it was copied quite a bit in the mid 20th century. Empress Chili was the first, then Skyline, Gold Star, etc.

I wish there were more Greek, Macedonian, Turkish, and Near Eastern cuisine in my area....which is 90% pizza and Mexican. I......NEED........SOMETHING ELSE!!! :o :o

I bet you have no problem finding a fish fry though. :LOL:

:LMAO: Thanks, ILS. Yer funny... :LOL:

My curiosity is really piqued now. Next trip to the store...time has been of the essence lately. Need more hours in day...

I'll get some Monistat, too. :LOL:

Edited by CygnusGal

^^Yes. Just spread a microscopic thin amount on some buttered toast. Or, if you like tomatoes and avocado, you can make a sandwich out of it by spreading butter on two pieces on toast and layering on the tomatoes and avocado.

Thanks. I'll pick up a jar tomorrow. :)

Marmite acquired and taste test completed. I tried it on lightly toasted whole grain wheat bread with butter and a thin layer of marmite. I liked it - rather salty, but an interesting flavour.

I tried a very small amount on the tip of the butter knife. Quite strong, I can see why only a thin layer is required. Yeasty, so it reminds me of beer. That's good.

I like marmite and I'll be curious to see where (if?) it fits in some of my recipes.

:ebert:

Thanks, Janie! :)

• Like 1

^^ :banana:

Yah, if you like beer, you should like vegemite, right!? I bet if they threw that into their ad campaign the stuff would start flying off the shelves.

I do love beer. :yay: beer!

Beer. It's what's for breakfast! ;) I don't really drink beer for breakfast...okay, well maybe on summer vacation, sometimes...

^^Yes. Just spread a microscopic thin amount on some buttered toast. Or, if you like tomatoes and avocado, you can make a sandwich out of it by spreading butter on two pieces on toast and layering on the tomatoes and avocado.

Just make sure you smile when you give this sandwich to someone else...

Being from Cinti I love Skline (Cinti) Chili, but had never made it till recently. After scouring the recipes and talking to people I ended up buying the dry package mixes which ends up being a lot cheaper to boot. The trick with it is to not brown the hamburger, ( I actually used turkey, and it was for a family function of locals and no one mentioned or knew. Everyone agreed it tasted just it. I actually used Gold Star Chili mix. Some say there is a difference but if there is it isn't much. It comes out a lot thinner than normal chili which beans can be used to thicken it or other thickening agents. Much easier if you're just jonsing for Skyline or out of town or something.

Also, the correct answer is Marmite. I have a seitan/marmite faux meat loaf recipe somewhere that uses it.

Aaaaaaand now I have that song going through my head...

Thanks DM! :P

Edited by Janie

Aaaaaaand now I have that song going through my head...

Thanks DM! :P

You're welcome!!

:cheers:

This will probably sound weird but - the next time you make tacos or burritos with spicy ground beef, etc... add raisins. Use the dark currents or any one of the dark raisins, not the brown squishy buggers. Leave them cold... add them like you would with salsa or diced onion or tomato. That touch of hot vs. sweet really works!

Ain't no way I'm putting rabbit turds (aka raisins) in a tasty meat dish. Personal opinion, but I hate raisins! Nothing more disappointing than reaching for a chocolate chip cookie only to find it's not actually chocolate chip, but raisins.