Guitar Players: GAS early warning - new Lerxst axe

tskidmore

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks. I wonder if that leads to the "still no guitar" problem with piezo? ;p

Yup, pretty much confirms the qc on the 5k guitars is same as 2k ones (why I bought the 339). Of course, the al has many more bells and whistles. I'm sure they will fix the wiring though, lifetime warranty and all, so no worries. It is just a bummer when a new guitar is not near perfect, ebay is full of non perfect guitars (I have many myself), so the joy of buying new is lessened.

Anyway, enough of the downer, great scores on the als, and get those pics up please. I'd like to see the signed one for sure. wink.gif

I'll be honest here, and say that everyday that goes by without an answer gets me more ticked off. One of our music store chains L&M offers 30 day return on everything. I'm at day 15 owning this guitar. If I can't use this guitar live which is what its intended for, then why have the guitar. Gibson has 15 days to come up with a fix. I know its lifetime warranty but I had to wait 8 months for a new trem bar on my 355 so my only 2 gibbons I've ever owned don't exactly have a great track record. Edited by elvtnedge

nice. so there's going to be two more AL 069s out there now. hee hee. cool guitars!!!

Ouch on having the piezo bleeding through. My solidac never had any electronic problems, the ephiphone ultra II either. I remember all the bashing Gibson went through with the 355, now this, not great on Gibson's part.

For what it's worth, after I picked up my big Al 69, I'd be in Long & McQuade, there were at least 2 other Lifeson 355s that went through that store. One was the "floor model" I felt bad for that one, how many hands on it every other day, the other must have been a trade in and I can only assumed either the owner disliked the volute, or noticed the paint flaw (same exact spot as on my 69) or some other reason. But I was in there many months after taking in 69, there was a beautiful burst 355 classic in there, my gawd the strings on it had that B.B. King bendable vibe in them. Not that I was thinking of trading off the guitar I had always wanted for it.

Hope Gibson can come up with a fix for the piezo, I know they can sometimes be a pain to deal with at times.

I'm at a real crossroads. I gigged with my guitar friday and saturday night and noticed some volume spikes as I think the piezo turned itself on and off. Then at one point in-between songs I turned down the volume on the bridge pickup and nothing happened, I changed to the neck pickup and turned that down and the volume didn't change. I couldn't deal with that so I unplugged the guitar and used my backup. I think the piezo turned itself on full blast.

I don't know if I should use my 30 day return to L&M and be finished and done with this guitar or wait it out and see what fix Gibson has. I can't believe the most expensive guitar I own is the most problematic..

QUOTE (elvtnedge @ Apr 3 2011, 12:18 PM)
I'm at a real crossroads. I gigged with my guitar friday and saturday night and noticed some volume spikes as I think the piezo turned itself on and off. Then at one point in-between songs I turned down the volume on the bridge pickup and nothing happened, I changed to the neck pickup and turned that down and the volume didn't change. I couldn't deal with that so I unplugged the guitar and used my backup. I think the piezo turned itself on full blast.

I don't know if I should use my 30 day return to L&M and be finished and done with this guitar or wait it out and see what fix Gibson has. I can't believe the most expensive guitar I own is the most problematic..

Remember all those tech problems Alex was having on the last tour? I wonder if it was related to that guitar, and if they were similar problems to what you're experiencing here.

I decided to call Graphtech myself and they know about this problem. There is a cross talk thing going on, and they have already made mods to the circuit board. Just waiting on Gibson to announce the fix or decide how they will handle this. I've been able to disable the piezo for the time being so I can use this live without the problems that I've been having. Usually their ghost systems ship with quick switch which is like a toggle switch but Gibson didn't want to go this route. (I assume per Alex)

We're about a week away guys, hang in there

I want one of these amazing guitars too, but in the meantime I picked up the Epihpone Les Paul Pro FX for around $550.00!! Floyd Rose, split coil taps...

I can pretend! LOL!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Mitchellmania/00GUITAR.jpg

QUOTE (vital signz @ Apr 5 2011, 01:31 PM)
I just finished playing both of my guitars and I have experienced no problems as of yet. I hear no bleeding thru of the piezo at all on either guitar!

Plug in one of your guitars to an amp, make sure you have distortion running through the amp, turn your bridge, neck and piezo pickup to 0 and strum. You will hear something still coming through your amp. That is one part of the problem right there

QUOTE (elvtnedge @ Apr 5 2011, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ Apr 5 2011, 01:31 PM)
I just finished playing both of my guitars and I have experienced no problems as of yet.  I hear no bleeding thru of the piezo at all on either guitar!

Plug in one of your guitars to an amp, make sure you have distortion running through the amp, turn your bridge, neck and piezo pickup to 0 and strum. You will hear something still coming through your amp. That is one part of the problem right there

Nope, nada. No sound whatsoever when I do that. Both guitars are working perfectly. I run the Life-O-Sound Jack to my mixing board directly with no processing whatsoever, and put just a hint of reverb and Echo on the acoustic sound from the piezo....I run the standard jack thru my powered effects processor and into the mixing board for distortion and other effects. I adjust volume on the channels on the board separately. What I have been experiencing are literally musical orgasms as I play the piezo knobs and neck and bridge knobs against each other, occasionally blending the two.....I have been playing Natural Science, for example, starting with the acoustic parts, then blending in distortion, then turning off completely the acoustic....It is truly heaven in my studio.

What I feel is that these guitars are the best playing guitars that I own, and kudos to Alex Lifeson for creating the two input, two line system and the Floyd Rose on the Les Paul. I have always been a Floyd Rose guy. I own a Kramer Pacer Imperial model from 1980, and it was always my go to guitar, even over my 1978 black Les Paul Custom. I have dreamed of such a guitar since I was playing clubs way back in those days...These guitars have instantly surpassed both of those, my Alex Lifeson 355, my Custom 24 and 22 fret PRS's, my Strats, Tele, my Parker, hell, everything I own!!!!! These guitars have the best sound, versatility, playability, tremolo systems, and they are in perfect tune 100% of the time no matter how much I play the shit outta them.

I feel sorry that you got one with a problem....I hope you get it corrected soon, because you will be thrilled when it plays like it was built to.

One other thing....the Viceroy Brown guitar that I own actually sounds a bit better to me than the Crimson one. I just think that each guitar, though technically identical with everything except the stain, has its own soul if you will, and it simply melts my face off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (RUSHian62 @ Apr 5 2011, 07:38 PM)
I want one of these amazing guitars too, but in the meantime I picked up the Epihpone Les Paul Pro FX for around $550.00!! Floyd Rose, split coil taps...
I can pretend! LOL!

Looks close enough for me wink.gif

How does it feel/sound?

QUOTE (Soni @ Apr 5 2011, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHian62 @ Apr 5 2011, 07:38 PM)
I can pretend! LOL!

Looks close enough for me wink.gif

How does it feel/sound?

I love it! Paid about $550.00 for it! I know I would love Alex's more though!! LOL! Someday...

QUOTE (vital signz @ Apr 6 2011, 06:46 PM)
Ahhhhh.....I haven't even tried that yet.  I will do it tonight and let you know ASAP!!!!!!!!!

OK....did everything you said, only used the regular jack, all volume knobs to zero, and strumming elicited no sound whatsoever, no bleed through of the piezo at all. When I turn up the piezo knob only, at max volume, I get what would sound like using the main volume jack at about a 6....not full force distortion or volume you know? Its like the piezo pickup is being able to work as a very small pickup.....like one would expect, but no acoustic modeling at all. Both of my guitars are working perfectly.

Edited by vital signz

Well Gibson if you goto their product page just released a statement about the bleed. If it wasn't a problem they wouldn't have done something about it, but they did. All guitars are now being shipped with a push/pull pot for the piezo and if you already have the guitar you can take it in to have that replaced.

I just replied to Rick's message to the public...I am asking him how I purchased both the signed and unsigned models and have them in my possession and have been playing both of them and have not experienced the problem and if there some models out there that do not have the problem? Or that were wired such that there isn't a problem? Or fixed prior to shipping without the pull knob? I am confused as to why some guys are experiencing problems and I am not???

QUOTE (vital signz @ Apr 8 2011, 02:29 PM)
I just replied to Rick's message to the public...I am asking him how I purchased both the signed and unsigned models and have them in my possession and have been playing both of them and have not experienced the problem and if there some models out there that do not have the problem? Or that were wired such that there isn't a problem? Or fixed prior to shipping without the pull knob? I am confused as to why some guys are experiencing problems and I am not???

Here's Rick's reply:

What we experienced was that it is only audible at extremely high gain (Pre-Amp

on 10, Master on 3)...while the volumes are all turned off on the guitar and you

play relatively hard. In addition, if you are running a cord from the

Life-o-Sound output to an amp with a clean setting, and another cord to the amp

that is set very gain, it is inaudible.

Very nice looking geetars there vital signs. The signed one is pretty sweet, if not uneconomically, but now that you have it the pain of writing the check is over. Ha. wink.gif

Yeah, 1001 I think the piezo techno is still a WIP, and the probably will be for still a few more years. It's getting there, maybe 90% or so, but it's not perfect yet.

So a $10 push pull pot fixes the problem on a $4k guitar? Figures. ohmy.gif

I was thinking a push pull pot or one of those cool 6 way stew mac toggles would be great on my 339 (and prob the al's too) but I think the classic 57s are 2 wires not 4 correct? I think the 6 way needs 4 wire hbs. Oh well, just a thought, I'm not really prepared to mod a brand new guitar anyway. Yet. ;p