Hey Porcupine Tree Nuts! Maitland Vs. Harrison!

RUSHHEAD666

Who Is Your Favorite Porcupine Tree Drummer?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Favorite Porcupine Tree Drummer?

• Chris Maitland
    • Gavin Harrison

Been in a full throttle Porcupine Tree obsession this week.

I've been heavily into the Chris Maitland stuff. Listening to "Coma Divine right now.

Chris a great drummer. Why the hell did he leave the band?

Anyway on that note, Steven didn't waste any time getting another incredible drummer.

Gavin Harrison fukking rules!

How many times has he won Progressive Drummer Of The Year in Modern Drummer? Three times?

As much as I love Maitland's chops I have to stick with Gavin.

I love that cymbal tree. I wish I could buy one and put it in my kit.

PT RULES!!

1022.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif

Ok, Ok. So, why the hell did Maitland leave PT? I haven't come across a clear explaination. In one German interview, I heard Colin say that while Maitland was a competent drummer, Harrison is a more accompished drummer. But, why did Chris leave? Was he asked to leave? Or did he leave on his own? There isn't anything I've found to say why or under what circumstances he left. f***ing frustrating.

Edit:

Sorry... In my opinion Chris Maitland is a great drummer and did his cds with Pt total justice. Stupid Dream fans.... we love you, Chris Maitland.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 18 2010, 07:28 PM)
Ok, Ok. So, why the hell did Maitland leave PT? I haven't come across a clear explaination. In one German interview, I heard Colin say that while Maitland was a competent drummer, Harrison is a more accompished drummer. But, why did Chris leave? Was he asked to leave? Or did he leave on his own? There isn't anything I've found to say why or under what circumstances he left. f***ing frustrating.

Wow! Thanks for the info though! Better than nothing!

I wonder why it's so difficult to find out the scoop?

Cheer!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 18 2010, 09:31 PM)

Cheer!

trink39.gif

Sarcasim gets you nowhere with me, Earl. You should know that by now.

No Clue why Maitland left.......... In fact he's been involved pretty much all of SW's projects at some point or another, but never for long..

But Maitland only really made 3 albums with PT as a band proper.... It seems that "being a member" of a Band is not something that suits Maitland.... if you look at his repertoire he is the guy you get to drum for your album...

Sorta like how Tony Levin (I'm half counting LTE, not really a full band as more of a project) has never been part of a band, but he's done alot of shit, and been on a whole lot of records, playing bass and chapstick (that's funny if you take out the "man") for other people.

Which is cool, if that's the route you like.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 18 2010, 07:34 PM)

Cheer!

trink39.gif

laugh.gif

Shame on you! Me being sarcastic to you? No way!!

I don't think Steven kicked Maitland out of the band to hire Gavin. Do you?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 18 2010, 07:38 PM)
No Clue why Maitland left.......... In fact he's been involved pretty much all of SW's projects at some point or another, but never for long..

But Maitland only really made 3 albums with PT as a band proper.... It seems that "being a member" of a Band is not something that suits Maitland.... if you look at his repertoire he is the guy you get to drum for your album...

Interesting. Does he have his own website? I haven't done a search yet.

Is he still recording albums today?

He is one hell of a studio drummer.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 18 2010, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Jun 18 2010, 07:34 PM)

Cheer!

trink39.gif

laugh.gif

Shame on you! Me being sarcastic to you? No way!!

I don't think Steven kicked Maitland out of the band to hire Gavin. Do you?

Yes. smile.gif

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jun 18 2010, 10:03 PM)
this poll is kind of pointless....

even when gavin plays songs that originally had maitland's playing on them he blows him away!

Hence the pointless point of point has been made.

Signed,

"The Point Of Know Return" tongue.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 18 2010, 10:40 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 18 2010, 07:38 PM)

Interesting. Does he have his own website? I haven't done a search yet.

Is he still recording albums today?

He is one hell of a studio drummer.

I highly recommend the release by a superband called Kino, the album is Picture. Maitland does a great job on it. And the music is outstanding. The guitarist/vocalist John Mitchell is my most recent personal discovery as a Prog god. He also played for Arena, It Bites, and Frost*.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 19 2010, 12:27 AM)

even when gavin plays songs that originally had maitland's playing on them he blows him away!

Signed,

z7shysterical.gif i love you a little bit....

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jun 19 2010, 07:07 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 19 2010, 12:27 AM)

Signed,

z7shysterical.gif i love you a little bit....

trink39.gif wub.gif

Portnoy

laugh.gif Hi Earl

Maitland isn't a bad player, but he's not the full on phenom that is Gavin either. There are some old school PT fans who think Harrison is too flamboyant with his flourishes and fills. I happen to think he does it all very tastefully, but I can see their point. but then again I think most pre-Signify PT is ambient (actually Ambien) fluffery too, so what do the old schoolers know? wink.gif tongue.gif

Archived