Is Rush underrated?

thetrees

In my short life as a Rush fan, i have seen so easily their greatness. I was wondering if anyone else besides me thinks that they are one of the most underrated groups of all time. I know that they have sold many many albums and are very successful, but it still seems to me that Rush isnt thought of in the same respect as bands such as led zeppelin, metallica, U2, or even Pink Floyd to name a few. And i think we all know Rush are just as great (or better) than these such bands.

So, is Rush underrated, and if so.....why??

Damn skippy!

It's the same ol' same ol', Geddy doesn't have a "great" voice, so what, it's a li'l thing called unique, and the lyrics are heavy, complex I mean, and the certain Stones, Led Zep, Beatles types don't ged it!

So what!! We do!!! And that means we are special!!!!! cool.gif

IMO, Rush are underrated because they don't pander to the trends of the day and offer easily digested radio friendly hits.

Musically and lyrically, they are intricate and precise, and display an uncompromising attitude and commitment to their craft which doesn't lend itself to fairweather listening.

In my experience, people are either Rush fans, or have barely ever heard of them.

Hey kid,

Being a Rush fan for all of these years, I have learned to just accept the fact that 2.gif never has and never will get the respect they deserve. Just look at the Rock and Roll "hall of fame" unsure.gif Isn't it rofl3.gif how they just keep plugging along!!!

troutman trink39.gif

Rush is underrated, definitely. I don't need to type up a whole paragraph or two on why they are underrated, simply because I just don't know. They've never had any major popularity of bands like Van Halen or Led Zeppelin. But I love Rush more than any band. They are my favorite, and always will be my favorite. Someone would argue, "If they're so great, why aren't they in the Hall Of Fame?" They aren't in the Hall Of Fame because the judges only find mainstream music appealing and whoever sells the most records or whoever is in the spotlight the longest always wins. But I also think that they aren't in the Hall Of Fame just because it's the Hall Of Fame. They don't need awards or placement in some lame place that only has bands that are mainstream. Frankly, the Hall Of Fame isn't good enough for them. They don't need to sell out or fake anything. They're real good. They're Rush, and I'll be a fan of them until the very end.

Rush is a band that not everyone can appreciate. They don't play by "the rules" of modern culture. If they were to hear "Well guys, I'm sorry but your records just aren't selling. You're going to have to do something drastically different to meet the demand of people." from an agent, do you think they'd comply? Hell no they wouldn't. Rush is about the music. Geddy said it himself in the Boys In Brazil documentary: "The nature of Rush has always been musicianship first." Some people don't care, all they want is pop culture and don't care about the craft. Guess what? Rush isn't out to please YOU, they satisfy themselves before anyone else. Their fans are just along for the ride.

Maybe if they catered to the general public they'd be more liked and less bashed. Let's hope they always stay true to the music and the love of the game, not the commerical banality of pop culture game of musical sex appeal.

2.gif forever

Personally, I think it takes a special kind of person to be a Rush fan.

There not for everyone. You have to have the intellegence to understand their lyrics, and to enjoy Geddy's voice (personally, I love it! but when friends of mine listen to my CD's there like is that a girl singing and such, when they say that, I feel like smaking them... but hey, thats just me)

Knowing that not everyone likes them, and that they are underrated, makes me like them even more, if thats possible.

As my cousin once said....

"There are 3 kinds of people in the world..."

"1) Rush fans"

"2) Wannabe Rush fans"

"3) Us!"

And God love 'em!

And that is sooo true...To the real Rush fans out there, we are real lucky to understand what Rush really means....

2.gif ON!

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Mar 23 2005, 10:47 PM)
Rush is a band that not everyone can appreciate. They don't play by "the rules" of modern culture. If they were to hear "Well guys, I'm sorry but your records just aren't selling. You're going to have to do something drastically different to meet the demand of people." from an agent, do you think they'd comply? Hell no they wouldn't. Rush is about the music. Geddy said it himself in the Boys In Brazil documentary: "The nature of Rush has always been musicianship first." Some people don't care, all they want is pop culture and don't care about the craft. Guess what? Rush isn't out to please YOU, they satisfy themselves before anyone else. Their fans are just along for the ride.

Maybe if they catered to the general public they'd be more liked and less bashed. Let's hope they always stay true to the music and the love of the game, not the commerical banality of pop culture game of musical sex appeal.

2.gif forever

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

I think 2.gif is underrated. I don't think it's Geddy's voice because there are a lot of bands out there right now who sing in a high voice like that and they are popular. One of these bands is Coheed and Cambria (who just happened to have Rush listed in their top influences), their lead vocalist sings just like Geddy in my opinion. Another reason they might be underrated is that there lyrics are far to complex and meaningful for the punk-rock-lets-be-idiots influence thats out there right now.

They are definitely underrated. That's what makes me appreciate them and their music all the more. When music gets so mainstream it clones itself, it is so refreshing to have a group that is outside the box.

QUOTE (Pratt Boy @ Mar 23 2005, 10:57 PM)
They are not underrated.
Everyone else is overrated.

goodpost.gif cool.gif

I think Rush get their props from the musicians community, but not from the public at large. John Q. Public just doesn't "get" Rush and never will. So, from a standpoint of the general public, yes, Rush is underrrated.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Mar 23 2005, 08:47 PM)
IMO, Rush are underrated because they don't pander to the trends of the day and offer easily digested radio friendly hits.

Musically and lyrically, they are intricate and precise, and display an uncompromising attitude and commitment to their craft which doesn't lend itself to fairweather listening.

In my experience, people are either Rush fans, or have barely ever heard of them.

You took the words right outta my mouth. Of course, you said it a lot more clearly than I would've, so thanks. wink.gif

The fact that most people are either real fans or have never heard of Rush is very true in my experience. That's why I promptly put the sticker that DM gave me in CA on my car (thanks!), right between my 2112 and YYZ stickers. smile.gif It says:

RUSH IS A BAND

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Mar 24 2005, 08:24 AM)
I think Rush get their props from the musicians community, but not from the public at large. John Q. Public just doesn't "get" Rush and never will. So, from a standpoint of the general public, yes, Rush is underrrated.

I agree ... I do not feel they are underrated as musicians ...

But, as a band, overall, they are far underrated ... most people judge them on one or two songs ... they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more than that.

Hey everyone, this is the topic starter thetrees, and i just wanted to say thanks for all the input. it seems that you all share most of the same opinions on this point as i do.

i especially can relate to the posts that eluded to the idea that because Rush is underrated, or even bashed, it causes us to like them even more.

I once heard a quote that said, "the blood of the martyr is the seed of the church." We are similar: The underrating and bashing of Rush is the seed of the Fans!!!

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Mar 24 2005, 07:18 AM)

But, as a band, overall, they are far underrated ... most people judge them on one or two songs ... they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more than that.

No they are not underrated as musicians:

Geddy:

Geddy is in the Bass Hall of Fame for Guitar Player Magazine

Has been voted Best Rock Bassist more than 6 times

Geddy won "best Rock Bass player" in the 1993 "Bass Player" readers' poll

Neil:

Voted to Modern Drummer Hall of Fame: 1983

Best Rock Drummer: 1980,1981,1982,1983,1984,1985

Best Multi-Percussionist: 1983,1984,1985,1986

Best Percussion Instrumentalist: 1982

Most Promising New Drummer: 1980

Best All Around: 1986

Best Recorded Performance:

1981: Moving Pictures

1982: Exit... Stage Left

1983: Signals

1985: Grace Under Pressure

1986: Power Windows

1988: Hold Your Fire

1989: A Show of Hands

1990: Presto

1992: Roll The Bones

1993: Counterparts

1986 Honor Roll: Rock Drummer, Multi-Percussion

As a member of the Honor Roll in these categories, Neil is no longer eligible for votes in the above categories.

Alex:

Alex won Best Rock Talent in 1983 (Guitar for the Practicing Musician)

Inducted into the Guitar for the Practicing Musician Hall of Fame (May 1991)

Source

Juno awards

Rush has been awarded the following Juno awards:

1974 Most promising group of the year

1977 Group of the year

1978 Group of the year

1991 Best Heavy Metal Album

1991 Best album cover - Presto

1992 Best Hard Rock Album

1992 Best album cover - Roll the Bones

2004 Music DVD of the year - "Rush in Rio"

Grammys

1982 Runner-up in Best Rock Instrumental

"YYZ" - beat by The Police's "Behind My Camel"

1992 Runner-up in Best Rock Instrumental

"Where's My Thing" - beat by Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover"

2004 Nomination in Best Rock Instrumental Performance

"O Baterista" from Rush In Rio Lost to Brian Wilson's "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow"

Source

edited to include Juno's and Grammy's

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Mar 25 2005, 09:51 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Mar 24 2005, 07:18 AM)

No they are not underrated as musicians:

Geddy:

Geddy is in the Bass Hall of Fame for Guitar Player Magazine

Has been voted Best Rock Bassist more than 6 times

Geddy won "best Rock Bass player" in the 1993 "Bass Player" readers' poll

Neil:

Voted to Modern Drummer Hall of Fame: 1983

Best Rock Drummer: 1980,1981,1982,1983,1984,1985

Best Multi-Percussionist: 1983,1984,1985,1986

Best Percussion Instrumentalist: 1982

Most Promising New Drummer: 1980

Best All Around: 1986

Best Recorded Performance:

1981: Moving Pictures

1982: Exit... Stage Left

1983: Signals

1985: Grace Under Pressure

1986: Power Windows

1988: Hold Your Fire

1989: A Show of Hands

1990: Presto

1992: Roll The Bones

1993: Counterparts

1986 Honor Roll: Rock Drummer, Multi-Percussion

As a member of the Honor Roll in these categories, Neil is no longer eligible for votes in the above categories.

Alex:

Alex won Best Rock Talent in 1983 (Guitar for the Practicing Musician)

Inducted into the Guitar for the Practicing Musician Hall of Fame (May 1991)

Source

Juno awards

Rush has been awarded the following Juno awards:

1974 Most promising group of the year

1977 Group of the year

1978 Group of the year

1991 Best Heavy Metal Album

1991 Best album cover - Presto

1992 Best Hard Rock Album

1992 Best album cover - Roll the Bones

2004 Music DVD of the year - "Rush in Rio"

Grammys

1982 Runner-up in Best Rock Instrumental

"YYZ" - beat by The Police's "Behind My Camel"

1992 Runner-up in Best Rock Instrumental

"Where's My Thing" - beat by Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover"

2004 Nomination in Best Rock Instrumental Performance

"O Baterista" from Rush In Rio Lost to Brian Wilson's "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow"

Source

edited to include Juno's and Grammy's

Do you know why they haven't been selected to enter the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Archived