Alcoholism

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Sweetmiracle

Sweetmiracle

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1017 posts
  • Interests:RUSH, reading, dancing, chasing kids, laundry(NOT!)

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:45 PM

Somewhere in GR Neil talks with great compassin about a former roadie who was a junkie...I think he probably has the same capacity to care about alcoholics.  

Sponsored Post

#22 happysmiles007

happysmiles007

Every nerve aware...

• Members *
  • 2993 posts
  • Interests:football. music. horseback riding.

Posted 02 February 2005 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 2 2005, 06:13 PM)
drinking is my fear....I dunno why

it's a good fear to have.  the stuff is too powerful to get hooked on it when you've got your whole life ahead of you.

#23 Presto45

Presto45

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2554 posts
  • Interests:I love going to Bethany Beach Delaware to Relax whenever i can after a long week at work

Posted 02 February 2005 - 07:27 PM

Should this be in Non Rush ?  yes.gif  

#24 Rolinda Bonz

Rolinda Bonz

Land Obi Zorn

• Members *
  • 10871 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (Romi - The Bringer of Love @ Feb 2 2005, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jan 8 2005, 02:37 PM)
Yo, Romi.  Welcome to the board. user posted image

I found this to reference from the hard copy's page 356:

"And fair enough for awhile, if it helps me get through a particularly difficult time, as it did in the early part of last year, and then stops.  But I do not want to find myself degenerating into the so-called life of a pathetic and decaying boozer.  Insofar as one can "choose" what kind of life to have (and we don't rate that element of "free will" too highly, do we?), there are certain futures I do not wish to contemplate.  One of those is certainly the thought of being any version of an alcoholic. Especially, horror of horrors, a recovering one."

This made me laugh out loud.  While Neil acknowledges a valid concern about drinking too much and his own responsibility to take good care of himself, he is also able to joke a little.  I think the joking is important to stop the downward spiral of dispair, and I appreciate the humor he uses here.  It reminds me of something I heard before,  "the only thing worse than a smoker is an ex-smoker."  I can relate to receiving lectures from the Quit.  *rolls eyes*  But while this "horror of horrors" can be funny, it also seems to give due credit to the recovering alcoholic for the strength it requires.

Greetings friend Rolinda, nice to meet you smile.gif Congratulations! You got it, that was the whole idea, see below a fragment of a letter to a friend of mine.Last Saturday I had a really bad day, one of those which should be withdrawn from the calendar! First I woke up about 4:00 AM and couldn’t get to sleep any longer, since when my daughter was born it very often happens to me, so I decided to read a few pages of Neil Peart’s “Ghost Rider – Travels On The Healing Road”. What a big frustration! Being a fan of Rush for over twenty years and having Rush as the soundtrack of my life, it was the first time that Neil let me down and depressed. On page 356 he said as follows:

“…, there are certain futures I do not wish to contemplate. One of those is certainly the thought of being any version of an alcoholic. Especially, horror of horrors, a recovering one.”

For God’s sake! I was kicked in the face! I’M A RECOVERING ALCOHOLIC! Who Neil called horror of horrors.

During my teenager’s years I had serious problems with alcohol and I even wanted to die, I wasn’t able to face the world as it is and I use to seek refuge through hallucinations travels. I wasted my most precious years with bullshit, now it’s too late to regret. Despite Neil has said, as I see it, a recovering alcoholic is a kind of warrior and sometimes a tireless hero! I’ve been “clean” for over seven years, but it’s just for today (as the Alcoholic Anonymous use to say. AA is a fantastic brotherhood and has helped to save millions of lives from the grabs of addiction).

Oh, Romi, I am so sorry.  I did not see your reply until today.   sad.gif

Congratulations to you, for turning your life around.  And it sounds like things are promising these days.   new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  And congratulations on your new baby girl, too.    wub.gif

However frustrating Neil's comment seemed to you, I think it's important to remember that his book was about him and no one else.  Grief is a freaky thing, and it requires some degrees of selfishness.  Double it, (in consideration of both losses) and well, I'd say we're lucky he didn't label us all different breeds of horror.

Remember how he described his soul as the little flame of a candle that he had to cup both of his hands around to keep it from going out?  Little Baby Soul needed to give the appropriate amount of attention to anything that threatened it.  I would guess that his focus was on that flame, affording minimal consideration for anything or anybody else. Wouldn't you give him that?...under the circumstances?

BTW, what parts of Ghost Rider made you laugh out loud?  Even the names he gave Brutus had me in stitches.   laugh.gif  

#25 Presto45

Presto45

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2554 posts
  • Interests:I love going to Bethany Beach Delaware to Relax whenever i can after a long week at work

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:58 PM

I dont no do you think this should be in Nonrush  

#26 Rolinda Bonz

Rolinda Bonz

Land Obi Zorn

• Members *
  • 10871 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (Presto45 @ Feb 2 2005, 09:58 PM)
I dont no do you think this should be in Nonrush

I don't think so, Presto, because it's about Neil.  And if it's about Neil, it belongs here.  Doncha think?   confused13.gif  

#27 Presto45

Presto45

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2554 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:04 AM

Sure why not, I didnt no it was about Neil  

#28 D-13

D-13

You can put it in the win column!

• Members *
  • 9349 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Feb 2 2005, 05:21 PM)

it's a good fear to have.  the stuff is too powerful to get hooked on it when you've got your whole life ahead of you.

yea thats all I think about these days...and then there's my friends...doing everything possible...I always wonder why...and so do they...they are always like Al why don't you want to come and party...I always relpy..."why?, i've got better things to do..."  and I don't mean this forum! tongue.gif  I mean like playing guitar and stuff....why should I get wasted for fun?  whats the fun in that.  soon enough my friends will corrupt me...it's only a matter of time...

#29 My_Shrimp_Cot

My_Shrimp_Cot

The Beaker

• Members *
  • 1572 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 3 2005, 12:08 AM)

yea thats all I think about these days...and then there's my friends...doing everything possible...I always wonder why...and so do they...they are always like Al why don't you want to come and party...I always relpy..."why?, i've got better things to do..."  and I don't mean this forum! tongue.gif  I mean like playing guitar and stuff....why should I get wasted for fun?  whats the fun in that.  soon enough my friends will corrupt me...it's only a matter of time...

Maybe you should think about some new friends...one's who have goals..want to go to college and do well, or are serious about their music....etc.

Best of luck D.

#30 happysmiles007

happysmiles007

Every nerve aware...

• Members *
  • 2993 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:41 AM

ohh yeah, i'm just a freshman & a lot of people my age go to parties & get completely wasted..it's super sad.  if i wanna get drunk, i'm doing it in the privacy & safety of my own home..& there's usually better things to do at home than drink.  as a musician, i know what you mean when you say you'd rather play than get drunk..you can't play when you're wasted!!  tongue.gif

seriously though, you've got really good judgement for someone your age!!  you're a good example for all us younger folks!  biggrin.gif  

#31 Romi - The Bringer of Love

Romi - The Bringer of Love

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Feb 2 2005, 11:50 PM)
QUOTE (Romi - The Bringer of Love @ Feb 2 2005, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jan 8 2005, 02:37 PM)
Yo, Romi.  Welcome to the board. user posted image

I found this to reference from the hard copy's page 356:

"And fair enough for awhile, if it helps me get through a particularly difficult time, as it did in the early part of last year, and then stops.  But I do not want to find myself degenerating into the so-called life of a pathetic and decaying boozer.  Insofar as one can "choose" what kind of life to have (and we don't rate that element of "free will" too highly, do we?), there are certain futures I do not wish to contemplate.  One of those is certainly the thought of being any version of an alcoholic. Especially, horror of horrors, a recovering one."

This made me laugh out loud.  While Neil acknowledges a valid concern about drinking too much and his own responsibility to take good care of himself, he is also able to joke a little.  I think the joking is important to stop the downward spiral of dispair, and I appreciate the humor he uses here.  It reminds me of something I heard before,  "the only thing worse than a smoker is an ex-smoker."  I can relate to receiving lectures from the Quit.  *rolls eyes*  But while this "horror of horrors" can be funny, it also seems to give due credit to the recovering alcoholic for the strength it requires.

Greetings friend Rolinda, nice to meet you smile.gif Congratulations! You got it, that was the whole idea, see below a fragment of a letter to a friend of mine.Last Saturday I had a really bad day, one of those which should be withdrawn from the calendar! First I woke up about 4:00 AM and couldn’t get to sleep any longer, since when my daughter was born it very often happens to me, so I decided to read a few pages of Neil Peart’s “Ghost Rider – Travels On The Healing Road”. What a big frustration! Being a fan of Rush for over twenty years and having Rush as the soundtrack of my life, it was the first time that Neil let me down and depressed. On page 356 he said as follows:

“…, there are certain futures I do not wish to contemplate. One of those is certainly the thought of being any version of an alcoholic. Especially, horror of horrors, a recovering one.”

For God’s sake! I was kicked in the face! I’M A RECOVERING ALCOHOLIC! Who Neil called horror of horrors.

During my teenager’s years I had serious problems with alcohol and I even wanted to die, I wasn’t able to face the world as it is and I use to seek refuge through hallucinations travels. I wasted my most precious years with bullshit, now it’s too late to regret. Despite Neil has said, as I see it, a recovering alcoholic is a kind of warrior and sometimes a tireless hero! I’ve been “clean” for over seven years, but it’s just for today (as the Alcoholic Anonymous use to say. AA is a fantastic brotherhood and has helped to save millions of lives from the grabs of addiction).

Oh, Romi, I am so sorry.  I did not see your reply until today.   sad.gif

Congratulations to you, for turning your life around.  And it sounds like things are promising these days.   new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  And congratulations on your new baby girl, too.    wub.gif

However frustrating Neil's comment seemed to you, I think it's important to remember that his book was about him and no one else.  Grief is a freaky thing, and it requires some degrees of selfishness.  Double it, (in consideration of both losses) and well, I'd say we're lucky he didn't label us all different breeds of horror.

Remember how he described his soul as the little flame of a candle that he had to cup both of his hands around to keep it from going out?  Little Baby Soul needed to give the appropriate amount of attention to anything that threatened it.  I would guess that his focus was on that flame, affording minimal consideration for anything or anybody else. Wouldn't you give him that?...under the circumstances?

BTW, what parts of Ghost Rider made you laugh out loud?  Even the names he gave Brutus had me in stitches.   laugh.gif

Hello Rolinda,

Nevermind, you don’t need to apologize for the delay, my reply to you waited nearly a month smile.gif   I am just a beginner over here, and I am still learning something about this wonderful forum.  

First of all, I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding me and my little daughter who is at the age two.

I’m sure poor Neil had to deal with such a terrible feelings during his grieving process and for that reason, I understand him and similarly I believe every alcoholic or drug addicted has a little baby soul who needs care, during my treatment to give up drinking, I learned that alcoholic seeks for the same pleasant feelings that had been experienced during the first years of childhood, when the baby is the center of all attention and doesn’t need to do anything to be loved and looked after.

My mother tongue is Portuguese, I bought Ghost Rider through Internet, and I read it in English (I think this fantastic book should be issued in other languages), I am doing relatively well with the English, but there is some passages in the book which unfortunately I didn’t quite understand, it seems to be some informal English which I am not yet used to. I really don’t remember of myself laughing out loud during any part of the book, but there are so many touching passages, I can quote Neil recalling some moments spent with Selena inside a church in Paris if I’m not wrong, I am catholic, and whenever I am with my daughter at the church this passage returns on my mind. Here in Brazil in August we use to celebrate Father’s day, during lunch time on that day I was wondering about Neil and Selena while I was in the kitchen with my daugther playing around, and it was enough to make me burst in tears (I can remember him using this expression).

Love, rose.gif
Romi.      

#32 Spike

Spike

I am NOT a dude. I am a chick.

• Members
  • 1547 posts
  • Interests:Acadia National Park, biking, hiking, swimming, kayaking

Posted 03 February 2005 - 01:36 PM

I don't think Neil's line "...horrors of horrors, a recovering alcoholic..." referred to recovering alcoholics in general.  I think it referred to what HE would face himself as one.

I think it refers to the challenge of giving up a very pleasurable, enjoyable part of his life.  Could you imagine Neil being forced to give up his beloved Macallan forever?

fists crying.gif

#33 Romi - The Bringer of Love

Romi - The Bringer of Love

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Spike @ Feb 3 2005, 01:36 PM)
I don't think Neil's line "...horrors of horrors, a recovering alcoholic..." referred to recovering alcoholics in general.  I think it referred to what HE would face himself as one.

I think it refers to the challenge of giving up a very pleasurable, enjoyable part of his life.  Could you imagine Neil being forced to give up his beloved Macallan forever?

fists crying.gif

Nice to meet you Spike smile.gif

Surely it would be as tough as it was for me to give up beers and cognac trink39.gif

I am pretty curious about absyntho (the green fairy), which I have never enjoyed. no.gif

Have you ever seen this before?

"Rush rock on for a fine drop of Macallan": "Whisky on the rocks all round this Christmas for the employees of the Edrington group, quite literally as in go 'heavy on the rocks'. Heavy rocker Neil Peart, below left, writer/lyricist and drummer for Rush, the Canadian rock band, sent them stocking-filling goodies as a sign of appreciation for his visit to Glasgow earlier this year. The band played a sell-out concert in Glasgow a few months ago and Edrington presented a bottle of The Macallan Fine Oak 15-year-old single malt to Neil to celebrate his birthday. Neil, or 'the Professor' as he is referred to, is a fan of The Macallan and makes regular references to it in his book Ghost Rider and the more recently-released Travelling Music and thousands of RUSH fans have become devotees of the brand. The Professor was much taken with the warm gesture in Glasgow and, on his return to North America, sent a package of 'goodies' to the company, including signed CDs, pic! tures and other memorabilia. These have now been distributed amongst RUSH fans who work for the distiller. Whether they will now play Rush over the Tannoy in the bottling plant remains to be seen." - Scotsman.com, Dec. 27, 2004

Best wishes bekloppt.gif

#34 D-13

D-13

• Members *
  • 9349 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Feb 3 2005, 05:58 AM)

Maybe you should think about some new friends...one's who have goals..want to go to college and do well, or are serious about their music....etc.

Best of luck D.

they do have goals and they are going to university!

#35 My_Shrimp_Cot

My_Shrimp_Cot

The Beaker

• Members *
  • 1572 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 3 2005, 05:47 PM)

Best of luck D.

I feel like a jerk.... doh.gif

Its what happens when you assume. ph34r.gif

Just my paternal instincts....I don't want D-13 corrupted!!!!

#36 D-13

D-13

• Members *
  • 9349 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Feb 3 2005, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 3 2005, 05:47 PM)

Best of luck D.

I feel like a jerk.... doh.gif

Its what happens when you assume. ph34r.gif

Just my paternal instincts....I don't want D-13 corrupted!!!!

haha don't feel like a jerk! cuz your not! lol don't worry i'll make good decisions when they come!  smile.gif  

#37 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:01 PM

I dunno, I'm not much of a drinker now and dont think I ever will be.  I have seen a few friends that have their share of healthy drinking habits and a few in my family that have some extremely unhealthy habits.  Every once and a while I will have a little something, but I always feel like I'm making a fool of myself if I have too much.  That was the same reason why I quit smoking as well, I felt far more shame then I did a happy feeling and thats not a feeling I wanted to have.

#38 happysmiles007

happysmiles007

Every nerve aware...

• Members *
  • 2993 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:51 PM

wow, you two are good.

#39 D-13

D-13

• Members *
  • 9349 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 3 2005, 05:01 PM)
I dunno, I'm not much of a drinker now and dont think I ever will be.  I have seen a few friends that have their share of healthy drinking habits and a few in my family that have some extremely unhealthy habits.  Every once and a while I will have a little something, but I always feel like I'm making a fool of myself if I have too much.  That was the same reason why I quit smoking as well, I felt far more shame then I did a happy feeling and thats not a feeling I wanted to have.

Yea I feel the same way....making a fool out of myself....exactly...you took the words right out of my mouth! lol

#40 ES-335

ES-335

The Peaceable Kingdummy

• Members *
  • 2789 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 09:06 PM

Well ... I learned a long time ago to never assume what Neil is REALY thinking in his lyrics or books, interviews ... etc   smile.gif

I really agree with what Spike said .... but there is another thought ... maybe he wasn't saying that to be funny, but to me literal. That it would REALLY hard to live as a recovering alcoholic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users