Alcoholism

Romi - The Bringer of Love

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jan 8 2005, 03:00 AM)
QUOTE (Romi - The Bringer of Love @ Jan 8 2005, 04:32 AM)
Have you ever read Ghost Rider? Do you know the Neil's opinion about recovering alcoholics? What do you think about it?

Whatever he said he's probably right yes.gif

Heh. Truth! yes.gif

I haven't got his book yet, so I don't know what his opinion is. All I know is that alcoholism is more of a problem now than it used to be. My mother died because she was an alcoholic in 1981, and it altered my view completely on getting too boozed up too often. It can also hit you when you don't realise there is a problem. The idea of the AA (alcoholics anonymous) is firstly to make the sufferers admit to there being a problem (as with drug abuse), this is the first step to recovery.

It's been awhile since I read GhostRider, but I don't remember any specific reference or opinions regarding alcoholics.

I too come from a family with an alcoholism history. My father, (who is my biggest hero in the world), has been a recovering alcoholic for over 20 years, and my uncle, (father's brother), died from alcohol related health problems.

I used to drink a helluva lot myself, but over the years have toned it down a lot. In the back of my mind, I'm always afraid that I'll become hooked, and I don't want to put my family through stuff I went through with my father growing up.

I'm no authority, but my father is, and according to him, you have to hit bottom, (trust me... he did), and want to help yourself before AA, or anybody else can help.

Anyway, it's been over 20 years since my father had a drop, and he's a much better person for it, and he's a lot happier. I'm really proud of him. That's why he's my hero. wink.gif

QUOTE (ChefEllwood @ Jan 8 2005, 10:01 AM)
It's been awhile since I read GhostRider, but I don't remember any specific reference or opinions regarding alcoholics.
I too come from a family with an alcoholism history. My father, (who is my biggest hero in the world), has been a recovering alcoholic for over 20 years, and my uncle, (father's brother), died from alcohol related health problems.
I used to drink a helluva lot myself, but over the years have toned it down a lot. In the back of my mind, I'm always afraid that I'll become hooked, and I don't want to put my family through stuff I went through with my father growing up.
I'm no authority, but my father is, and according to him, you have to hit bottom, (trust me... he did), and want to help yourself before AA, or anybody else can help.
Anyway, it's been over 20 years since my father had a drop, and he's a much better person for it, and he's a lot happier. I'm really proud of him. That's why he's my hero. wink.gif

Very cool!!! Congrats on your dad!!! trink36.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 8 2005, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (ChefEllwood @ Jan 8 2005, 10:01 AM)
Anyway, it's been over 20 years since my father had a drop, and he's a much better person for it, and he's a lot happier. I'm really proud of him. That's why he's my hero.  wink.gif

Very cool!!! Congrats on your dad!!! trink36.gif

Thank you !! biggrin.gif

I haven't read any of his books. I'm not sure what he said about alcoholism. I'm not sure if he's an expert in that field or not. I'd have to know what he said then make that decision.

Yo, Romi. Welcome to the board. http://usera.imagecave.com/RolindaBonz/howdy.gif

I found this to reference from the hard copy's page 356:

"And fair enough for awhile, if it helps me get through a particularly difficult time, as it did in the early part of last year, and then stops. But I do not want to find myself degenerating into the so-called life of a pathetic and decaying boozer. Insofar as one can "choose" what kind of life to have (and we don't rate that element of "free will" too highly, do we?), there are certain futures I do not wish to contemplate. One of those is certainly the thought of being any version of an alcoholic. Especially, horror of horrors, a recovering one."

This made me laugh out loud. While Neil acknowledges a valid concern about drinking too much and his own responsibility to take good care of himself, he is also able to joke a little. I think the joking is important to stop the downward spiral of dispair, and I appreciate the humor he uses here. It reminds me of something I heard before, "the only thing worse than a smoker is an ex-smoker." I can relate to receiving lectures from the Quit. *rolls eyes* But while this "horror of horrors" can be funny, it also seems to give due credit to the recovering alcoholic for the strength it requires.

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jan 8 2005, 11:37 AM)
Yo, Romi. Welcome to the board. http://usera.imagecave.com/RolindaBonz/howdy.gif

"And fair enough for awhile, if it helps me get through a particularly difficult time, as it did in the early part of last year, and then stops. But I do not want to find myself degenerating into the so-called life of a pathetic and decaying boozer. Insofar as one can "choose" what kind of life to have (and we don't rate that element of "free will" too highly, do we?), there are certain futures I do not wish to contemplate. One of those is certainly the thought of being any version of an alcoholic. Especially, horror of horrors, a recovering one."

This made me laugh out loud. While Neil acknowledges a valid concern about drinking too much and his own responsibility to take good care of himself, he is also able to joke a little. I think the joking is important to stop the downward spiral of dispair, and I appreciate the humor he uses here. It reminds me of something I heard before, "the only thing worse than a smoker is an ex-smoker." I can relate to receiving lectures from the Quit. *rolls eyes* But while this "horror of horrors" can be funny, it also seems to give due credit to the recovering alcoholic for the strength it requires.

I really think he made this comment as a "tongue in cheek" kind of comment. I took it like he was kind of comparing recovering alcoholics to ex-smokers who can get holier than thou on people who still smoke.

Also Neil has mentioned over & over that he doesn't really believe in God or organized religion. AA certainly has a bit of that type of connotation to people who do not know about it in depth, or as a cult. He probably made this comment relating to it in that type of context.

I have had extensive dealings with AA over the years so I know it's not a cult or some type of religion, but to the uninitiated I can see how they could come to see it in that light.

Congrats to you Romi on your sobriety.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Feb 2 2005, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jan 8 2005, 11:37 AM)
Yo, Romi.  Welcome to the board. http://usera.imagecave.com/RolindaBonz/howdy.gif

"And fair enough for awhile, if it helps me get through a particularly difficult time, as it did in the early part of last year, and then stops.  But I do not want to find myself degenerating into the so-called life of a pathetic and decaying boozer.  Insofar as one can "choose" what kind of life to have (and we don't rate that element of "free will" too highly, do we?), there are certain futures I do not wish to contemplate.  One of those is certainly the thought of being any version of an alcoholic. Especially, horror of horrors, a recovering one."

This made me laugh out loud.  While Neil acknowledges a valid concern about drinking too much and his own responsibility to take good care of himself, he is also able to joke a little.  I think the joking is important to stop the downward spiral of dispair, and I appreciate the humor he uses here.  It reminds me of something I heard before,  "the only thing worse than a smoker is an ex-smoker."  I can relate to receiving lectures from the Quit.  *rolls eyes*  But while this "horror of horrors" can be funny, it also seems to give due credit to the recovering alcoholic for the strength it requires.

I really think he made this comment as a "tongue in cheek" kind of comment. I took it like he was kind of comparing recovering alcoholics to ex-smokers who can get holier than thou on people who still smoke.

Also Neil has mentioned over & over that he doesn't really believe in God or organized religion. AA certainly has a bit of that type of connotation to people who do not know about it in depth, or as a cult. He probably made this comment relating to it in that type of context.

I have had extensive dealings with AA over the years so I know it's not a cult or some type of religion, but to the uninitiated I can see how they could come to see it in that light.

Congrats to you Romi on your sobriety.

Greetings friend Digital Man,

Thank you for your words and nice to meet you trink39.gif

I have already forgiven Neil, he deserves yes.gif

And no doubt he was passing through terrible moments on that circumstance, I think also he would rather die like an alcoholic following the steps of his great idol Ernest Hemingway trink38.gif

Best wishes from Brazil new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived