123 replies to this topic

#1 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9672 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:43 PM

http://www.myspace.com/betweentheburiedandmeband

Wow! I heard these guys were coming to town and did a little listening at their myspace page over the past few days.

Exceptional progressive metal, take a listen. Try Sun of nothing- brutality followed by a sweet spacey section reminiscent of floyd or perhaps PT. Really unique.

Edited by tangdog, 01 November 2007 - 08:52 PM.

Sponsored Post

#2 Stormtron

Stormtron

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7277 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:34 AM

I'm a fan. I think I made a best of the year post here and Colors made it in my top 10. Alaska is amazing too.

#3 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9672 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:27 AM

Cool, I just bought a copy of Colors because I was so impressed with I had heard on myspace. Off to check it out..........

#4 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9672 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:45 PM

Well the verdict has been reached and this disc kicks major ass.

Must be heard to be fully appreciated but I would describe it as blend of the Image and words era of dream theater, pantera, Devin townsend and heaping pile of originality and off the wall playing. While there is a ton of really heavy playing and growling, they shift effortlessly into insane progressive jams with lighter vocals in most songs.

Lots of strong songs but my favorite is Ants of the sky.  

1022.gif  

#5 metaldad

metaldad

Official TRF Chauffeur

• Members
  • 17165 posts
  • Interests:hanging out with my Wife, son and 2 girls . playing Drums , Beer, going to shows, Beer , Cooking , Beer , watching football , Beer , watching baseball, Beer , cranking Metal and Beer

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:14 PM

i never listened to them until now. the 2007 stuff is real heavy. good shit  1022.gif  

#6 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9672 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:49 PM

Colors just may be the best disc of the year and certainly in the top 5...  

1022.gif  

#7 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9672 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:12 PM

f**k it, I figure,  if I am posting about Hannah Montana, the least I can do is bumper.gif  this thread!

The disc Colors continues to amaze...........

TOUR DATES
11.29.07 Charleston, SC Music Farm
11.30.07 Ft. Lauderdale, Fl Culture Room
12.01.07 St. Petersburg, FL State Theater
12.02.07 Orlando, FL The Social
12.04.07 Austin, TX Red 7
12.05.07 Dallas, TX The Door
12.07.07 Tucson, AZ The Rock
12.08.07 Los Angeles, CA Knitting Factory
12.09.07 Fresno, CA The Exit
12.10.07 San Francisco, CA Slim's
12.12.07 Colorado, Co The Black Sheep
12.13.07 Lawrence, KS Granada Theater
12.14.07 Sauget, IL Pop's
12.15.07 Dayton, OH The Attic Club
12.16.07 Asheville, NC The Orange Peel  

#8 Tull Fan Too

Tull Fan Too

The Seeker

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:38 PM

I just recently bought The Anatomy Of and Colors due to this thread.  The cover album is kind of uneven IMO (I love "Blackened" and "Us and Them", but can hardly stand "Bicycle Race"), but Colors is very good, and is growing on me the more I listen to it.  Thanks to the original poster for starting this thread. smile.gif

#9 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9672 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Nov 29 2007, 01:38 PM)
I just recently bought The Anatomy Of and Colors due to this thread.  The cover album is kind of uneven IMO (I love "Blackened" and "Us and Them", but can hardly stand "Bicycle Race"), but Colors is very good, and is growing on me the more I listen to it.  Thanks to the original poster for starting this thread. smile.gif

1022.gif Glad you like Colors! Less than three weeks to the show. 1022.gif

#10 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9672 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:48 PM

Well that was one hell of a show. I hope someone else caught this tour as it was unfucking beleivable. They played most of Colors, Mordecai, a cover by Sepultura and what may have been Selkies ( not sure on that one )

Great players. They will be opening along with 3 for Dream Theater and Opeth this spring.

#11 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 87418 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

I picked up Colors at my local beat bop, rinky dink phonographic shop, sounds like a good purchase...

653.gif  

#12 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9672 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 18 2007, 05:11 PM)
I picked up Colors at my local beat bop, rinky dink phonographic shop, sounds like a good purchase...

653.gif

Way to go!  I truly think and hope it will grow on you.  cool10.gif  1022.gif  trink38.gif  

#13 Rush!

Rush!

Avant Gardener

• Members *
  • 10226 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:28 PM

My drum teacher played me a few snippets of some tracks from Colors tonight. Very interesting stuff. Extremely heavy bass, and a really neat drum solo in one of the songs. I wasn't fond of the growling though... may have to ask for this for Christmas.. wink.gif  

#14 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9672 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (Rush! @ Dec 18 2007, 08:28 PM)
My drum teacher played me a few snippets of some tracks from Colors tonight. Very interesting stuff. Extremely heavy bass, and a really neat drum solo in one of the songs. I wasn't fond of the growling though... may have to ask for this for Christmas.. wink.gif

Yeah, the drummer is top notch. This is the first group I like that growls for what its worth.  All the lighter vocals came across very well too live. The energy they put out collectively as a group was pretty f@cking intense, ...can't say enough good things about this disc.

Their name is taken from a line in some Counting Crows song??

#15 Rush!

Rush!

Avant Gardener

• Members *
  • 10226 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 18 2007, 08:44 PM)

Yeah, the drummer is top notch. This is the first group I like that growls for what its worth.  All the lighter vocals came across very well too live. The energy they put out collectively as a group was pretty f@cking intense, ...can't say enough good things about this disc.

I may download it first to see if I really like it and then ask for it... not sure. Should I just go out and get it? I haven't heard much that's been labeled prog-metal besides DT and some Fates Warning.

Anyway, yeah, their name is from a Counting Crows lyric line apparently:

From Wikipedia:

The band's name is derived from a section of lyrics in Counting Crows’ song "Ghost Train": "Took the cannonball down to the ocean/Across the desert from the sea to shining sea/I rode a ladder that climbed across the nation/Fifty million feet of earth between the buried and me."

#16 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9672 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Rush! @ Dec 18 2007, 08:58 PM)

I may download it first to see if I really like it and then ask for it... not sure. Should I just go out and get it? I haven't heard much that's been labeled prog-metal besides DT and some Fates Warning.

Anyway, yeah, their name is from a Counting Crows lyric line apparently:

From Wikipedia:

The band's name is derived from a section of lyrics in Counting Crows’ song "Ghost Train": "Took the cannonball down to the ocean/Across the desert from the sea to shining sea/I rode a ladder that climbed across the nation/Fifty million feet of earth between the buried and me."

Nice, thanks for digging that info up!  trink39.gif  Not sure what to tell you, about downloadig versus buying it outright but the disc Colors has definitely clicked for me and about half of it is there on their myspace page.

1022.gif  

#17 steelherper

steelherper

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:My two main interests are Field Herping and Playing Football. There is no greater thrill than handling a rattlesnake. I plan on getting my Doctorate in Herpetology

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:02 AM

They are pretty bad ass. I can't wait for Prog Nation '08, to see them with DT and Opeth.

#18 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 87418 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:43 AM

This is the first group I like that growls for what its worth.

Do you not like Opeth Tangy? Strapping Young Lad? Amon Amarth?

What about some of the vocals on Buckethead and Friends?

#19 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9672 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 19 2007, 02:43 AM)
This is the first group I like that growls for what its worth.

Do you not like Opeth Tangy? Strapping Young Lad? Amon Amarth?

What about some of the vocals on Buckethead and Friends?

I do like Devin Townsend and I have heard some growls out of him but what I have heard by Devin thus far is not as "growly" as BTBAM. Then again I only own one Devin disc- Synchestra. Only have heard a few songs by SYL including U Suck. I have heard some Opeth but never really got into what few songs I heard. Maybe I should pick up  one of their Steve Wilson produced discs and give it a shot In terms of Amon Amarth, I've heard the name but never any music. Unfortunately I don't have Buckethead and friends yet. Maybe I should hurry up and get it as I hear its becoming hard to find.

I guess I am starting to appreciate the growling as a outlet but its the music that does it for me with BTBAM.

A part of me just thinks the growling is funny, like when the singer for August Burns Red was warming up in stage I could not resist a chuckle.

#20 KenJennings

KenJennings

Mr. Establishment

• Members *
  • 20319 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:48 AM

Colors is really solid. I've been hearing rumors they might tour with DT and Opeth this spring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users