Little known yet great CDS

crushtopher

Just have to add one Brit band in the classic genre that has a tremendous sleeper album that most people don't know:

Dire Straights-Making Movies.

The disc is worth the price just for Romeo and Juliet. The first cut, Tunnel of Love is fantastic. Check it out. The knoph at his very best, smooth and silky, yet reckless. Phenomenal.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whale Music by the Rheostatics is one that comes to mind. Pop, punk, country, jazz, humour, irony, its got it all. As an extra bonus our favourite drummer makes a guest appearance drum solo on a song called Guns, (someone - not necessarily an idiot- DIES).

QUOTE (King Rygar @ Feb 6 2006, 08:01 AM)
Faith No More - Angeldust
Billy Idol - Whiplash Smile
Geddy Lee -My Favorite Headache  applaudit.gif

Heeeey...there's a song by Daisuke Asakura

(Nittle Grasper) called Angel Dust...don't know

if anyone on this forum really cares

about J-POP music... laugh.gif

But, a great CD is...

Alice in Chains - Facelift.

Not many people really take the time to listen to

them anymore...><

Ok, here goes...

Agalloch - Pale Folklore (Metal/rock... kind of a mix between the two)

Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia, La Masquerade Infernale, and The Sham Mirrors (Amazing avant-garde/black metal!!)

Borknagar - Empiricism (Prog/black/folk metal)

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica (WTF)

Dark Tranquillity - Character (Metal)

Devin Townsend - Accelerated Evolution (Industrial metal)

The Dissociatives - The Dissociatives (Weird experimental pop-ish stuff, not for everyone... Although, I guess nothing on this list is >_>)

DJ Tiesto - In Search of Sunrise, Vol. I (I'm sure this is very well known among techno/trance fans, but most people don't know of it. Definitely a good intro to the genre)

Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience (old rock band out of... AZ, I think. Great song writing, greater lyrics...)

Gordian Knot - Gordian Knot (Absolutely beautiful instrumental prog rock)

HORSE the Band - TheMechanicalHand (Crazy ass hardcore, with keyboards. It'll remind you of old school Nintendo O_O)

Mustard Plug - Evildoers Beware! (Awesome ska album, truly fantastic feel-good, pick-me-up music)

Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefaction (If you like Death Metal, THIS IS FOR YOU!)

Omar A. Rodriguez-Lopez - A Manual Dexterity: Soundtrack Vol. I (Solo album from Mars Volta dude... crazy, weird, mood noise-music... some crazy stuff on this album)

Opeth - Damnation (Mellow, non-metal prog rock album from a heavy metal band... A nice deviation from their norm, and worth a check out from anyone who likes 70's prog)

Sea Level - Cats on the Coast, and On the Edge (Fantastic jam-ish albums... Features Chuck Leavell from the Allman Bros.)

Silverchair - Diorama (Beautiful pop-ish rock from Australia... fantastic lyrical work)

Spastic Ink - Ink Complete, and Ink Compatible (see my post earlier in the thread)

Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe (AMAZING prog-metal, think Dream Theater times 10, and much better. And it's not all wankery >_>)

Thievery Corporation - The Cosmic Game (Incredible breakbeat/electronic music with international influences... if you want to sit around and just "chill", this is for you)

Ulver - Perdition City (HOLY CRAP electronic-based album from a former black metal band, quite a suprise to hear... you'll love the icy, fridgid beats)

Watchtower - Control and Resistance (Incredible technical metal, the only way you'll ever find it is by downloading on the net)

Wilco - A.M. (Great rock with a southern tinge...)

So...... YEAH! If anybody's interested in any of those, give me a PM, or just post here. I'll be happy to support those bands...

There was this band in the 90's called "Cry Of Love" and their debut CD Brother. These guys were dirty and gritty sorta like Bad Company With a heavier edge to them. Best described as modern southern fried rock. Bottom line is they kicked major ass. Click the link I provided to listen to samples of their music. Their two biggest songs were, Bad Thing, and Peace Pipe.

http://www.soundstone.net/av/17363914.jpg

Check out Cry of Love here

In the Prog Rock vein:

"V" by Spock's Beard

"Fish Out of Water" by Chris Squire (as good or better than Yes)

"Tales of 1001 Nights" by Renaissance (imagine Yes with an operatic female vocalist)

Another that comes to mind from my collection is the CD from a British band called Lone Star (not to be confused with the American country band of the same name). The CD I have is actually their two albums (Lone Star and Firing on All Six) re-pressed onto one disc.

The first album was produced by Roy Thomas Baker who had a lot to do with the early success of Queen, and the band featured Paul Chapman who later went on to play with Skid Row and UFO.

The track "Bells of Berlin" has been getting some airplay recently on internet and digital radio station www.planetrock.com

And another prized rarity in my collection is two albums from West Coast guitarist Marc Bonilla (E-E Ticket and American Matador)

Mostly instrumentals (though Marc sings on a couple of tracks and Glenn Hughes sings on a cover of Whiter Shade Of Pale)

Marc went on to write songs and incidental music for movies (the movie with Wesley Snipes about free-fall parachuting - can't remember the name) features Bonilla music, and he went on to work as guitarist and co-producer for Glenn Hughes on the CD "Addiction".

Marc also performs extensively with artists such as Keith Emerson and Ronnie Montrose, often appearing live with them.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ui3m-ktu/images/trillion02.jpg

This is a great pomp rock album by a little known Canadian band called Trillion. I haven't heard their first album, but Clear approach is brilliant. I just wish I could get my hands on it again. sad.gif

Trillion - wow- I haven't thought of those guys in years. I did buy their first album when it came out, I think around the same time as Permanent Waves and really liked it. I bought it just because I liked the cover. Didn't know they were Canadian tho, and I don't think I have the record anymore either.

You guys just reminded me...

Zebra. Get the first album (self-titled) or a "Best Of" compilation. A trio in the Rush vein.

Mingo Fishtrap - From the Private Bag ; Succotash ; Yesterday (A funk/soul group from Austin, Texas)

Band That Saved The World - Struggle to Chill ; Changes (another funk/soul group from Lawrence, Kansas)

Pomeroy - Cocoon Club ; Identity (very eclectic group from KC. Are they funk, soul, R&B, rap, rock, metal, reggae or hip-hop? Decide for yourself at their website or on my space)

A while back a friend had ordered a 2000 release from the Magna Carta label based only on the premise of "produced by Terry Brown"

I gave it a few listens and it was clear that this was a cd that I just had to have and it quickly became one of my favorites

A definate Rush/Kansas/Yes influence,their sound though is quite their own.This little known yet great CD-Their self titled debut-

Under The Sun

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Feb 10 2006, 09:20 PM)
Watchtower - Control and Resistance (Incredible technical metal, the only way you'll ever find it is by downloading on the net)

Ahh, Watchtower. Funny you mention that album. I first heard of this when I found the LP at my college's radio station. Someone put a sticker on the front of the album and wrote on it "Rush meets Metallica - no joke!" So, based on that description, I played a cut from it. The music, pretty good, but the voice...yikes!!!

I found out many years later that their original singer was none other than Jason McMaster, who later went on to join Dangerous Toys of all bands. I'd like to hear their first album with Jason as he's definitely a better singer than that other guy.

Back on topic, my picks:

Vertex - Vertex - 1996 quasi-industrial metal album featuring Steven Pearcy (Ratt) and Al Pitrelli (Megadeth/Savatage/Asia/etc.). Strong album throughout. Unfortunately, this was their only album as Pearcy left to reform Ratt the next year. I went to see them open for Manowar but...well you can read here what happened that night.

Laaz Rockit - Annihilation Principle - relatively unknown unless you followed the late 80s/early 90s thrash scene, their 1989 is one of the best thrash metal album ever created. Great songs, and great artwork! There's even a good version of the Dead Kennedys' "Holiday In Cambodia" that in some ways is even better than the original.

Coroner - No More Color - if the avatar and screen name doesn't tell you I'm a fan, nothing will! Lyrically and technically brilliant. And hey, their drummer writes the lyrics, just like Neil! biggrin.gif

I'm sure I'll think of more but there's a few.

If you know me, then you already know what two albums I'm going to choose...

Kamelot - Epica and The Black Halo.

The reason I chose these two and not one or the other is simply because these albums need to be listened to consecutively. Both albums are based on Von Goethe's life work, "Faust." Epica being Part I and The Black Halo being Part II, the albums tell the story of Ariel, and his journey to find the answers he seeks about life. Along the way he is tempted by Mephisto, who appears to him in the form of a beautiful woman, and ultimately signs a deal with Mephisto that will eventually seal his fate.

Whether or not you're a prog metal fan, these albums will not disappoint you.

QUOTE (By-Tor & the Jazz Bass @ Feb 4 2006, 10:49 PM)
Stan Ridgway- "The Big Heat"
Morrissey- "Southpaw Grammar"
Level 42-"World Machine"
The Fixx-"Shuttered Room"
Saga-"Heads Or Tales"

Speaking of Saga, I saw those guys at a club in Toronto back in 1995. They are still touring and pretty popular around the world, but not much any more in the USA. Cool drum solo, too! I should support those guys and buy that album.

QUOTE (archondav @ Mar 21 2006, 10:31 PM)
Porcupine Tree-Deadwing or In Absentia

Porcupine Tree?

My new band's guitarist says those guys are great and he's a DT fan. Maybe I should buy a CD or two? Can you recommend one?

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Mar 22 2006, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (archondav @ Mar 21 2006, 10:31 PM)
Porcupine Tree-Deadwing or In Absentia

Porcupine Tree?

My new band's guitarist says those guys are great and he's a DT fan. Maybe I should buy a CD or two? Can you recommend one?

Either of those 2 are a great start.

Archived