Great technical analysis

JARG

Pretty cool. I'm quite sure the boys didn't think about it that hard.

No I don't think they did for a second, but it doesn't take away from the fact that had to understand all this even on an instinctive level.

• Like 2

Pretty cool. I'm quite sure the boys didn't think about it that hard.

No I don't think they did for a second, but it doesn't take away from the fact that had to understand all this even on an instinctive level.

It's like Rick Beato says when he analyzes Kurt Cobain's singing melodies and guitar parts - "People say to me that Kurt didn't know he was singing the #11th on that chord. But that's not the point. The point is, I know that's what he was doing."

• Like 3

Jess nails the correct response at the end of the guitar solo--Woooo!

One of the many elements which makes this song fantastic is the dynamic transition from the chorus leading into the guitar solo. Neil pounds the bass and two 16" crashes on every beat in 4/4. And then, whoosh!, that step into open space. Breathe. We're in 3/4 time, almost giving a half-time impression, as Neil now provides that open feel with only bass and ride. But he doesn't stay there long, as he introduces some snare, and before you know it, he's playing some triplets on the toms. Then going strong, really driving that third beat. Glorious. Then transitioning back into 4/4 for the chorus. As Jess says, Wooo! Incredible ensemble work.

It's interesting (on an oblique point, here) that an opera singer would conduct an analysis of this song, as Neil had stated it was critical to monitor Geddy's vocal phrasing while providing the pace in Limelight. Does Geddy sound rushed? Pull back. Does it sound as if he's being stranded too long on a note? Pick it up at bit.

Another group who are typically very good on detecting the time signatures? Dancers. It's a prerequisite for the job, apparently. I would sometimes challenge a past acquaintance (who went on to perform with the Paul Taylor Dance Ensemble) to identify a song's time signature. After about ten seconds of listening, he'd be able to correctly say, "7/8!" or "9/8!". Most impressive. He clearly had an impeccable sense of time. And he did some great comedic impressions too, but that's beside the point.