5 replies to this topic

#1 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2616 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:06 PM

So I'm reading about Peter Gatien, a music club owner who has recently published a book about the various nightclubs he owned and his battles with Giuliani's NYC.

Apparently, when he opened his first club, the Aardvark, in Toronto in '73, Rush was the first band he booked; he later owned a club in NYC called "Limelight"!

So here's my question: does the song predate the club? Is it just a coincidence? I have no idea if the band and the club owner even meet, but maybe he used the song as an inspiration for the club name?

Anybody know (or willing to hypothesize irresponsibly?) about the links?

He sounds like an interesting guy, if music, failed marriages, and drugs are your thing.

Sponsored Post

#2 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 85997 posts
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:29 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 01 June 2020 - 04:06 PM, said:

So I'm reading about Peter Gatien, a music club owner who has recently published a book about the various nightclubs he owned and his battles with Giuliani's NYC.

Apparently, when he opened his first club, the Aardvark, in Toronto in '73, Rush was the first band he booked; he later owned a club in NYC called "Limelight"!

So here's my question: does the song predate the club? Is it just a coincidence? I have no idea if the band and the club owner even meet, but maybe he used the song as an inspiration for the club name?

He sounds like an interesting guy, if music, failed marriages, and drugs are your thing.
A nightclub?

Oooh, Neil would really have enjoyed that!  :lol:

#3 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 10960 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

limelight is old school. as in how theaters were illuminated way back when. to live in the limelight is to be ye olde celebrity................

#4 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 24207 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:36 PM

Is it just a coincidence?

Not a coincidence so much as a common point of reference. The term predates both the song and the club.

Edited by JARG, 01 June 2020 - 06:36 PM.

#5 Weatherman

Weatherman

The Seeker

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:writing, travel, guitar, long balks on the weach

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:40 PM

The name Limelight predates the song.
He used it in Miami in the 70s.
https://en.wikipedia...Holy Communion.

#6 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2616 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:56 PM

I know the origins of the concept of "limelight" -- that really wasn't what I meant. I was asking if there had been any sharing of ideas, but it looks maybe not!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users